- advertisement -

Greetings!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by HarleyGuy, Sep 28, 2009.

1. HarleyGuy

HarleyGuy Approved members

Just signed up here and want to thank everyone for such good info provided. I'm Ron and I am a 57yr old Vietnam Vet that discovered 9 years after I was discharged that I was a type 1 diabetic. I learned after the fact that not only did agent orange do an excellent job as a defoliant, it also did an excellent job in destroying my pancreas as well. I will never complain tho, cuz I have buddies with strange cancers from exposure and all I have is diabetes. I spend a great deal of time at VA hospitals and it doesn't take long to realize there are people worse off.

I love my MM722/CGMS. In spite of all the people that complain, I have had great results with some extremely accurate numbers(meter test vs cgms).
    Even tho that sensor needle tooks ominous, I have yet to feel much of anything. So far, I just switch from my left to right sides. My average sensor life is around 7-9 days. I'm betting the physiology of a person is the main reason some can only get 3 days and others may get 13 days.

Thanks for allowing me to be a part of CWD. I hope I can helps others as I am helped by others.

2. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Hey Ron, Welcome to the family. I want to thank you for the service to your country. Im friends with a fella that is 55 and has had type 1d for 41 years. I'll have to let him know you are in here. Join us in the parents chat nights hes often in there.

3. HarleyGuy

Well thank you very much. I was beginning to wonder if I was wearing the plague or something. My introduction post had 65 views and you are the only one to respond here. I did receive a pm from a lovely gal who also thanked me. First forum I have been on that certainly seemed less than "warm" to a new member.

Being a Vietnam Vet, I can relate. I've been shunned more than once in my life. I certainly appreciate your kind words tho, as it is still appreciated 34 years after the fact. I would appreciate you putting that Vet in contact with me.
    Thanks again for the greeting.

4. MelStan

MelStan Member

Hi Ron.
    Just wanted to welcome you to CWD too :cwds:
    I'm sure you have much experience to offer everyone here. It's always great to hear the perspective of an adult living with T1.

And although I'm not from the U.S, I am humbled by the sacrifices you and many other vets made for your country.
    Great to see you here! :)

5. kiwimum

kiwimum Approved members

Hi Ron

Welcome from NZ!

It's always nice to 'meet' adults who live successful lives with Type 1. It gives me hope for Tyler and his future.

While I don't know anyone who served in Vietnam, I can certainly relate to military being as my husband is a Defence Photographer serving in the NZ Air Force, having served in the Royal Air Force before that. As part of his service he has deployed to various operations around the world, including 6 months in Afghanistan.

Look forward to reading more of your wisdom!:)

6. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

Hi Ron. Welcome to the board. As another poster said, it's good to "meet" adults who are successfully living with D. It does give me hope for my son's future.
    And another thank you for your service to our country.

7. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

Please try not to take it personally when people don't respond...there are just a lot of really busy people here trying to take care of children of all ages with diabetes. Doesn't mean we don't value your presence...just means sometimes we get too busy to mind our manners and say hello :).

Welcome to CWD!

8. HarleyGuy

Thank you for the warm welcome and your kind words.
    Hadn't even checked this thread for a few days. Just been too busy reading other threads and learning as much as applicable to myself.

I am continually amazed at how diabetes affects each of us so differently. The more I read, the luckier I feel I am. I simply can not imagine getting this as a child. As a father, I also can't imagine my daughter dealing with it either. Fortunately, diabetes is not in our family. Since I am type 1 do to exposure to agent orange defollient, I am certainly hoping my "llttle girl" continues to never receive this diagnosis.
    I have a great deal of compassion for all you parents dealing with a child with diabetes. I can't imagine how tough it must be at times(if not all the time).

I feel a bit hesitant to post very much as I feel a bit "out of place" or like I really shouldn't be here, since I'm not a parent of a diabetic child.
    But I have received gracious invitations to jump into the chat room where all the "big kids" are and I intend to get there soon.
    Thanks again and best wishes and prayers for this journey we all are travelling

9. sisterbeth43

sisterbeth43 Approved members

Welcome to CWD, Ron and thank you for your service to our country.

10. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Wow, I didn't know that agent orange was one of the confirmed environmental triggers of Type 1 Diabetes. So, if you "caught" Type 1 from your exposure to agent orange due to its destruction of your pancreas (was the whole pancreas destroyed? did you have to have a transplant?), that would somehow modify your genetic "map", therefore increasing the possibility your child may get it as well, right? (Forgive my ignorance). Has she been tested yet?

Welcome to the boards, btw. Lots of great people on board and this is a great site.

11. HarleyGuy

What I do know is that the Agent Orange used in Vietnam was later found to be extremely contaminated with TCDD.( dioxin), and this stuff can kill you.

My daughter was born 2 years before I was officially diagnosed and she is fine. As I've said elsewhere, I'm just thankful that I'm just diabetic. I have a few friends that were exposed and they have really weird cancers and tons of other health problems.

12. StillMamamia

Well, I'm glad you have a positive outlook. Good for you.

I hope you get some veteran's benefits because of your condition.

13. HarleyGuy

Yep, I get everything free. For that I am most grateful.:)

14. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

Type 1 diabetes isn't a recognized disease associated with Agent orange .

Last edited: Oct 3, 2009
  15. StillMamamia

I would be most interested in any literature (websites/books) you may have concerning the confirmed link between agent orange and Type 1 Diabetes.
    Thank you.

16. CJ's Mom

CJ's Mom Approved members

I was just going to request the same thing. HarleyGuy, is there anything online we can research? I find this very interesting.

17. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Im interested in the link between agent orange/dioxin and autoimmune disease also. In the book "The autoimmune epidemic" It does say that there is a link between dioxin exposure and autoimmune disorders such as lupus.

I did find this site while researching this issue.

http://www.foxriverwatch.com/diabetes_pcbs_dioxin_1intro.html

18. HarleyGuy

....Oh, that makes me feel better. I have no care for what is "recognized". Agent orange was only "recognized" as a defolient too. A lot of good that does to the countless people suffering from exposure to dioxins. So what do you say to all those people? Sorry, it's not a recognized disease. What the medical world recognizes is a far cry from what really occurs.
    I'll close now before I say something I'll regret.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2009
  19. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

I'm just saying that the VA doesn't consider type 1 diabetes an agent orange related illness. :)

20. HarleyGuy

Of that I am enormously aware of. One of the reasons I will continue to battle with them. Many VA Dr's do not agree but look who they work for. Either they go along with policy or look for work elsewhere.

The VA doesn't recognize many problems some Vets deal with, but that certainly does not make it easier for those people to deal with their health problems. The VA will say some things can affect your auto-imune system, but only by the way they indicate it should affect it.

Get hosed with Dioxin repeatedly for over 9 months,then have someone tell you they don't recognize your pancreas being affected because it's not a related illness and see how you feel.