- advertisement -

greetings ...

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Scribe, May 26, 2009.

1. Scribe

Scribe Approved members

it's not my nature (or habit) to speak publicly about my diabetes, but after 50 years i figure it's ok to bend some rules. i am 51 years old and was DX at 10 months. i have no complications and have never been to the hospital for a diabetes-related problem in my life (aside from the first time). i am actually healthier and fitter than 95 percent of people on the street.
    weirdly, i'm convinced diabetes is the reason.
    i cover the white house as a reporter and in my space time referee high level soccer (including college. for those who don't know, each games requires 4-6 miles of serious running).
    nobody knows i'm diabetic except my wife, kids and doctor. I tell no one. never have; never will.
    my point is that people moan about how difficult diabetes is. and yes, it is. but it has never kept me from doing anything, including going to iraq and other harsh places. life can full and fun and healthy.
    i'd be curious to hear other people's opinion in this regard.

2. Tori's Mom

Tori's Mom Approved members

What in inspiration you are to all of us trying to manage our children's diabetes the best we can. I am sure you have a wealth of knowledge to share. I hope to be able to say my daughter has no complications after 50 years of D as well!!! More than that, I hope there is a cure by then.
    I don't know if your comment about people "moaning" about how difficult diabetes is was formed by posts you read on this site but if so, you may have misunderstood.
    It is because we are informed parents wanting to learn all we can and share knowledge with other parents that we are all here on this site. It is a place to "moan" (althought I prefer the term "vent") where others know exactly what you are going through and can sympathize and offer suggestions. We ALL are here to make sure we tackle the D beast so that our kids are happy, healthy and can do and be all that they want.
    It is my mission that on MY watch, my daughter will not suffer any ill effects because I lacked knowledge or purpose in helping her manage her care.

3. Lance

Lance Approved members

My hat is off to you. I'm a fellow soccer referee, and do appreciate the amount of exercise required. You have also managed your diabetes through what may be described as the stone ages (in terms of the tools available). My 59yo SIL was dx'd at age 12, and I've seen some of the changes that have taken place along the way (in terms of testing methods, insulins, pumps, etc.)

Thanks for your post.

4. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Hey Scribe Im with ya. After todays nomination of Sonia Sotomayer as supreme court justice, I know that type 1 diabetes never needs to be a barrier or an impediment to my son doing everything he wants to in life. Its still great to hear storys like yours though, they inspire me.

5. 2type1s

2type1s Approved members

It's wonderful to hear that you're doing so well! I have 2 daughters with type 1, and one has never been hospitalized for diabetes related issues, and the other many times. So, even in my own family, diabetes can vary! Also, there are parents who frequent this forum who have recently lost children to this disease, so yes, there are those who need to vent and moan. Maybe you can use your position in Washington to not only give a face to diabetes, but help dispell the myths that people with diabetes are overweight, and don't take care of themselves. I know several people who have not only completed, but competed in full Ironmans with type 1!

6. buggle

buggle Approved members

I saw a JDRF video where the children said their lives were destroyed by T1. I've turned a corner and am feeling so much better about my son's future and I felt that video was such so dire and ominous and misleading. The thing that keeps me going is seeing Olympians, musicians, scientists... and now WH press corp members! :p who lead perfectly normal lives with T1. I want my son to have the attitude that diabetes isn't going to stop him from doing anything in life.

Thanks for your post. It made me feel really good. Please continue posting and letting us know how you've kept such a great attitude through your life. I think that would be really useful for everyone here.

7. lil'Man'sMom

lil'Man'sMom Approved members

Sound as though you have lived a wonderful full life. I am happy to hear you have a loving family and rewarding career.

I must ask though why you choose not to tell others about your diabetes? Is it due to just the mere fact you like your privacy or have you experienced negativity from others due to diabetes.

8. TonyCap

TonyCap Approved members

Hi and welcome aboard.

Sounds like you have it really under control, Congrats! What advice would you have for others that have a hard time keeping it under control?

9. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

Thank you for coming to share your story publicly. But I also wonder why you choose not to share with others the fact that you have Type 1 Diabetes. As you know, it is nothing to be ashamed about. It is not limiting in any way, and the more people like you talk about their successful lives with type 1, the easier kids coming up today will have it.

:)

10. Scribe

Scribe Approved members

i'm still at work so here are quick answers:
    i'm not embarrassed to be diabetic nor have i had negative experiences. the short answer is that telling people is unnecessary and irrelevant. D has no effect on my job or performance so there's no reason for people to know. life is complicated enough.

why am i so healthy? what do i do?
    i've been a serious athlete all my life. got nibbles from colleges in both basketball and tennis. i've always been in shape and even at age 50 can run with college kids on fields that 110 yards long by 70 yards wide. i still wear cloths from high school.

my approach to D - I eat to the number. If it's noon and I'm 175, i wait. if it's 2 pm and i'm at 77 i eat. with my schedule i rarely eat at the same time and when i'm overseas or on the campaign tail i live on granola bars, peanut butter, apples and coffee (and yes, the occasional beer; good beer and only one at a time.) i never put anything in my mouth without testing first.

i test a lot, but i also find that sometime i can have too much information. on days that i'm too busy to test more than five times my results are always good; it precludes constant tinkering and boluses that yield diminishing returns.

it's pretty simple, really. i remember the days when you tested urine with a tablet and the result was your sugar 4 hours earlier. I remember boiling syringes every morning. so ... there really is no reason today to complain or despair. the body is resilient and rewards sincere effort, even if it's not perfect.

and yes, i've been lucky. but i've never regretting or bemoaned having diabetes. i know it's easier for me; like being blind from birth. it's all you know. but attitude counts for a lot.