- advertisement -

Great article on Paleo

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Dave, Jan 8, 2014.

1. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

2. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

I have tried my darndest to really "get" (in terms of consistent application) the concept of TAG when it comes to my son, for us the way it is utilized has mostly been with high fat/protein foods such as pizza, enchiladas, ice cream and (before CD) orange chicken. We handle the slow released glucose from these foods with either a square or a dual wave. Or as with frozen yogurt he only gets 30% of his insulin at time of consumption, then two hours later we give him the rest of the insulin over an hour - we just figured out that this is how his body reacts to this particular food and how we can match his insulin needs to it's breaking down.
    Not sure if that helps, but I know we've learned so much from this forum and other online groups about how foods breakdown differently causing different changes in BG and how to handle it that simply only covering for carbs isn't always the best answer.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  3. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

I agree that an ancestral diet would likely include lots of vegetables. The author of the Primal diet suggests that over half the plate be vegetables and if one looks at some of his recipes they are hardly 70 ounce steaks. On the other hand at least in the winter pre-agricultural groups would have close to zero vegetables available. In other parts of the world peoples might have had high carb bananas year round. One thing is for sure - none of them had refined sugar.

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

5. Mish

Mish Approved members

I suppose teeth weren't all that important when your average life expectancy was like 30 years old.

6. Sarah Maddie's Mom

The whole Paleo thing just seems silly to me. As the anthropologist in the article notes, they were simply opportunistic eaters. Nothing particularly "healthy" about that.

7. Mish

Mish Approved members

And let's not forget that there weren't any cavemen with diabetes, either.

8. swellman

swellman Approved members

Naturally occurring bananas have way fewer carbs than cultivated bananas.

Now, we don't know that do we?

9. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

They definitely fell under the "eat to live" category. Hunters/gatherers, never knew where their next meal would come from or what it would be.

10. Mish

Mish Approved members

Let me re-phrase:
    Let's not forget that there weren't any cavemen with diabetes, for very long. ;)

11. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

I am sure Coprophagia was pretty common at the time

12. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

I swear I saw an episode of the Flintstones where Fred was diagnosed. He had to employ some manner of beast to taste his urine for glucose. Naturally, the animal complained about his miserable lot in life.

13. swellman

TIL I don't need to learn something new every day.

14. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Just saw a news piece where a zoo in England is no longer serving monkeys bananas because naturally occurring bananas are lower in carbs and higher in fiber. The farm raised ones don't have the same characteristics. Guess the monkeys were putting on too much weight, so they are now on a low carb diet…who knows, maybe they are doing Paleo themselves:drool:

15. Sarah Maddie's Mom

One time when the dictionary is not your friend...

16. Mish

Mish Approved members

This is the thread that keeps on giving.

Probably would have been easier for him to ask the Great Gazoo to pop ahead into the future to pick up a glucose meter.

17. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

18. Brenda

Brenda Junior Member

I know this is straying way off topic, but, though I do not recall Fred Flintstone's diagnosis, I do remember learning a couple of years ago that Chachi was diagnosed on "Joanie Loves Chachi." I never watched that show. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0596218/ I cannot find in on You Tube, but I know I watched it somewhere online.

19. swellman

Google please fail me now ... :eek:ups:

20. Lee

Lee Approved members

Don't even try...just...don't.