- advertisement -

Gratitude and encouragement

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Marcia, Aug 23, 2015.

1. Marcia

Marcia Approved members

8 years ago I came to this forum for advice, overwhelmed and frightened by the new diagnosis of Type 1 for my little girl. Strangers who had once felt the same offered what they had learned and lent a shoulder to lean on and sometimes cry on. Last week I packed up my very confident, excited and HEALTHY daughter and took her to begin her freshman year at college. Cgm and pump supplies and glucose tabs shared the back seat with laptop, microwave and violin. Diabetes, while challenging, did not hold her back. She thinks it helped to make her more resilient, mature, and compassionate than many of her classmates. It is part of who she is. I think she has this attitude because a large group of strangers with an unwanted common bond helped us. Love to you all, old and new.

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

That's great to hear, Marcia. :)

Hope Abbey has a spectacular Freshman year!

3. msschiel

msschiel Approved members

No one wants to be here, but it is great to have a support system to rely on when you have no where else to go! Hope she has a great first year of college!

4. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Wow! Time flies, wishing her a wonderful freshman year

5. Marcia

Marcia Approved members

Time really does fly! I need to update my signature picture because not only did Abbey get older but so did Nick Jonas.

6. T1mama

T1mama Approved members

I am tearing up at work after reading this. My 5 year old son was just diagnosed in April 2015 and I hope to feel the same way when I pack him up for college :smile:

7. mamaberkhie

mamaberkhie Approved members

Thanks for posting. We've been doing this for a year now, and while I feel like we have come so far, we have so much farther to go. Your post is so encouraging and I hope I can say the same years from now!

8. Marcia

Marcia Approved members

I think some of the best advice I (we) ever got was to treat Abbey like any kid who did NOT have type 1, then figure out how to make it work WITH type 1. I tried to think out loud while changing a basal, giving an extra bolus, dual wave, etc. Hard to imagine when our children are so young that they will grow up and be responsible for their own care some day.