- advertisement -

Grade 5 grad theme - they picked "Candyland"

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by momofone, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Mommy For Life

Mommy For Life Approved members

Take it from the mom who bolused via MDI for the "Valentine's Day party - 109 carb cupcake from Costco :eek:,"...it will be OK! Did I initially suffer from a mini panic attack, why yes I did! Did I do my D mom job and not let my kid see me sweat, yes I did! Did I test and correct throughout the day/night, you bet ya! In the end, she had her fun and a big 'ol sugar laden cupcake to boot! You can do this pancreas mama! Good luck! :cwds:

2. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

You would do 0% up front, then go to the next screen. The reason I do it that way is because, in my experience, kids don't normally just sit and pig out all at once. They eat a little, play a little, come back for more, etc.

3. momofone

momofone Approved members

ok, so 0 up front with the rest over about 1.5 hours? I would imagine that's how long we'll be there. If I do that, I don't quite understand when it would start to deliver if I don't give some up front? My head hurts.

4. danismom79

It will start immediately, just not all at once. It's like running a temp basal.

ETA: Now, I'm not saying it will definitely work. This is just how I tackle parties. And there's always some follow-up.

5. tammy82

tammy82 Approved members

This shouldnt be a problem. You cannot deny your child these types of things. When my daughter has a party at school the nurse if very good about finding the carbs for 2 or 3 things and the rest of the items get bagged to take home (they dont have a problem doing this at all). Usually the parties are at the end of the day and i usually just say to myself i will take care of the highs when she gets home, sometimes though we are lucky and her BS is normal.
    I always talk to my daughter ahead of time that that is what we will be doing and she is always fine with it. In the case something doesnt work out I tell her we will get something special when she gets home (for example they had a carnival last week where they had icees & popcorn, at the time i talked to the teacher she said she would try to find the carb info on it and she did luckily & relayed the info to the nurse). I did tell my daughter before this, that in the case it didnt work out and they couldnt find any carb info on it, i would take her for a slurpee at 7-11. But like i said give the choice ofa few things, the rest gets taken home.

6. momofone

I know that what works for some may not work for others but I like having a starting point. If it doesn't work then we'll try something different next time. I like that idea because I think you're totally right. Chances are he won't stuff his face all at once and he's very social so I'm sure he'll be chatting with everyone and working the room lol. I'll just assess the situation when I'm there and bolus him for what I think he'll eat and if he doesn't, I'll just stop it and keep a close eye on him overnight and correct or treat as needed.

The one thing that sometimes frustrates me with the Pod though is if he is high at his 2 hour post-meal check then it usually suggests little or no correction. I find that he really doesn't drop much after 2 hours so I usually have to wait a full 3 hours and then it calculates a large correction, e.g. last night he was 216 (goal is 126) and it called for no correction but then an hour later he was about the same and it called for almost a 2 unit correction. Insulin duration is set for 3.5 hours.

7. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Relax. It's not like it's an everyday event, right? So, just do your best at guesstimating carbs, do increased temp basals for the duration as well as bolus (depending on BG), and hope for the best. BGs may actually cooperate from the excitement and all, so who knows?

And if it doesn't work out as planned, you'll at least have some pointers for next time.:)

Good luck!

PS - my only concern is comments you may have from know-it-alls, so be prepared for that - put on the CWD leaning to the side smile and move on.;)

8. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

I have no idea about the Pod, and I hope experts chime in, but it seems to me that if your experience tells you that a correction is needed 2 hours post meal, you should be able to manually do one, somehow.

9. momandwifeoftype1s

momandwifeoftype1s Approved members

My 10-year-old son just recently went to a swimming party for a friend's birthday. When we got there, my eyes bugged out because the food provided was a Candy Bar with all kinds of candy in pretty, glass vases and jars. The spread filled an entire table, and everything had been poured out of the bags into the pretty containers (so no carb counts). I would have completely panicked seeing this when Connor was first diagnosed. Surprisingly, he needed that fast acting sugar throughout the party to keep up with the amount of carbs he was burning in the swimming pool. It was actually quite handy to have a handful of Smarties and Twizzlers. I didn't end up giving him any insulin, and his blood sugars were good. It was interesting that the mom bought diet soda for my son, yet neglected to tell me that she would have a Candy Bar as food for the party. Connor was thrilled to just be a regular kid and be included.

[​IMG][/IMG]

10. danismom79

Are you not in the US? I know Canada and Europe have been getting the new PDMs that track all IOB.

11. Mommy For Life

Mommy For Life Approved members

OMG that's a boat load of sweets! Glad he had a great time! :D

12. momandwifeoftype1s

momandwifeoftype1s Approved members

Yes, it was pretty crazy! That's not even all the candy. I just didn't want to include any of the kids in the photos to share here, so I had to crop part of it out. It was a lot of fun, but I'm really glad that I've learned the fine art of guesstimating carbs and being more confident in handling unexpected things like Candy Bars.

13. momofone

I had to kind of lol at this^^ about the diet pop but the spread of candy. I have a feeling ours will look similar, they spare no expense at his school. I love how you turned around a potentially freak-out situation into a positive thing.

Diabetes and being a control-freak perfectionist don't mix - AT ALL lol. It is so frustrating to do everything right and still get it wrong. Last night for the first time I did manually enter a 0.5 correction even though it called for none because I knew it would happen but it wasn't enough, obviously. Oh, and it was pod change day - sometimes he goes high afterwards, sometimes not. Still trying to work on how to solve this one. I don't know if it's the insulin duration setting I may have to change?

14. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Yup, agree with this, I would be ticked by this type of party with or without diabetes to contend with.

Good luck, you've gotten great advice so I won't add any. I personally find that my son self polices in situations like this, for him it's just not worth it and he tends to just pass on things like this for the most part. But he's not a huge candy eater, never has been, so that helps.

15. momofone

I'm in Canada but I try to "speak your language" here since most seem to be from the US. We do have the new PDM that tracks all IOB.

16. danismom79

That would explain why it doesn't suggest a correction at 2 hours. I'd play around with the DIA at a time you can really watch and test. The PDM calculates the insulin on board based on that.

17. Marcia

Marcia Approved members

Your son uses a pod. Take advantage of that. Eat a big meal that you are comfortable bolusing for that doesn't cause a fat spike later on. Look up carb counts for candy that will be there. (You could ask the teacher for specifics.) Try to think about what your son would do if he didn't have D, would he still participate? Sure, a Candyland party is not the best choice, but that is how the class will celebrate. Get a good night sleep the night before and go with the flow. And keep those feelings of insecurity and being overwhelmed away from your son. This will be a positive learning experience for both of you.

18. caspi

caspi Approved members

Very well said! :)

19. coni

coni Approved members

Steer him towards the ice cream and chocolate. Lol. I find they're easier on BGs than candy. Good luck. D or not, a "Candyland" theme is just crazy!

20. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

LOL, we have the opposite problem. Ice cream and chocolate are hard for us to get right, and straight sugar is no problem. Bring on the cotton candy! :D