advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

got my first job!!

Discussion in 'At Work' started by diamondback688, Oct 9, 2006.

1. diamondback688

diamondback688 Approved members

hey all...i am 17 and just got my first "real" job...my job is being a waiter and a sandwich shop, and during the lunch rush, it is super busy, and i dont know how often i will get a break to check my sugar etc... i go on the 11th to fill out paperwork (W-2 form, emergency contacts etc.), should i just tell the general manager then?? thx for the help...later...

2. Jen Jen

Jen Jen Approved members

Some people have had bad experiences with letting their employer know, I've never had a problem though, every job they've been willing to work with me and the D. It's up to you, but I'd recommend letting them know, and keep some glucose tabs in your pocket for just incase when you're on the run.

3. diamondback688

well...i went and filled out all the paperwork today, like i said in my last post, and im pretty sure everyone mistook my pump for a cell phone, which i kind of funny, because i had an actual cell phone clipped to my right pants pocket...im still debating whether i should tell someone...they moved the opening of the restaurant up one week, so i still have a bit to decide...

4. Hollyb

Hollyb Approved members

Hey, congrats on your job!

Whether you decide to tell or not, I'd make sure to check your BG just before the lunch rush. Just like before a sports event, eh?

5. diamondback688

the only problem is is that i dont know when the lunch rush it...the restaurant opens at 10:30(i think) and ive been told that around 11 AM it could be really calm, and then 20 minutes later it could be a mad house...they said its never consistant when the rush will be...

6. georgia

georgia Approved members

I'd tell them

MY husband and I own a restaurant, and I would definetely want one of my employee to tell me if they had diabetes. that way when you need a minute to check your sugar or eat something they would "know" and not think you are slacking off. also, what if an emergency occured, you'd want them to know what was going on. Granted my Dh and I are a bit more understanding than the general public because we have a daughter who has diabetes, but my advice is tell them.

7. diamondback688

i was thinking about typing up a list of the symptoms of hypo/hyperglycemia and handind it out to the two asst. managers and the general manager...what do you think??

8. Momof4gr8kids

Momof4gr8kids Approved members

That wuld probably be be a good idea as long as you kept it basic, and to the symptoms mostly seen with you. Maybe not more then 4-5 for each one? I would also make sure that you tell them before you start. You really don't want to work for someone who isn't going to let you take care of you.

My DH was my highschool sweet heart. He has T1 as well. When he started his first job at McDonalds he chose not to tell anyone. He got really low during a rush, and felt like he was going to pass out. He stopped what he was doing, (he was getting an order together for someone) grabbed a kids cup and some coke, went in the back and drank it quickly. When the manager confronted him he finially told her. She was very understanding, and told him that she wished he would have told her before. From that point on during rush, if he walked away for a few minutes, she knew why. He only had a problem with one of the assistant managers, but the general manager caught on, and took care of it. I know it might feel kinda embarasing, or maybe scarey because they may tell you to take a hike (which is illegal ) but it is pretty important to tell them before your start date. That also shows honesty. Which is important.

9. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

Hi Diamondback,

So did you tell your employer and give them a list of hypo symptoms? I just now read your post.

I think it's a good idea. They really should know. Do you wear a medical id bracelet or necklace?

My son has a new job at college. Your post made me think to ask him if he told this new employer. Thanks - I'll ask him now. His job back at home knows - and it's all good.

Keep us posted, and I hope everything is going well. :cwds:

10. diamondback688

I know it's a bit old, but I figured I would update you all. Now, for a little background. I told all of my managers and gave them a list of my symptoms for hypo- and hypergycemia. They didn't have any problem if I needed to eat or whatever. The only problem I had was with another employee. From the second I started working there, he started screwing with me. At first, it was just name-calling and other stupid crap. Then, he escalated a bit(OK, more than a bit). I didn't tell any of the employees that I was diabetic, but somehow this guy found out that I am and that I wear a pump. I was walking by him going to the back and I guess he thought it would be fun to rip my set out of my side. So, he did.

Well, I told a manager that I would be back in a few minutes and I went and changed out my set. I cornered the general manager in the office and told her that I was extremely pissed off. I told her that if she didn't have a talk with him that I would quit right then and there. So, she had a chat with him later that day and he apologized(Like he really ment it. Yea right.). Well, from then on, I was really stressed every time I was near him because I thought he would do it again. And because of the stress, my suger spiked and I would go high. He continued to screw with me until one Friday when I finally snapped. I told another employee to tell a manager that I was going home and I went and sat outside for a few minutes.

Another manager came outside and tried to talk me in to coming back in and finishing my shift. I told her that I felt horrible and that I couldn't work. So, I went home for the day. The next day I left for Boy Scout summer camp in Georgia and didn't get back until the following Friday night. The didn't work again until Tuesday. So I went in on Tuesday and I wasn't even there for 15 minutes until my GM(General manager) came up to me and said we needed to talk. She apparently had called a meeting between herself, me and the employee. So, she asked me point-blank if I could continue to work with him. I told her no.

My health is more important than this job and my sugars were going crazy every time I worked with him(Which was every day). She actually said to me "If you can't work with him, then you can't work here". She gave me two options, quit or I get fired. So, I quit right then and there. I went home, turned in my uniform shirts the next day, and I haven't been back. So, now I am concentrating on college and sort of looking for a job. I don't really need one, so I'm not actively searching for one.

11. misscaitp

misscaitp Approved members

Way to go Ryan!

Is this the same guy that wished he had diabetes?:confused:

12. diamondback688

Nope. Different guy.

13. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

This person assaulted you!!!! He physically pulled out your medical device. he should have been put on probation or fired on the spot! I'm outraged. :mad::mad::mad:

That type of harrassment and physical assault should had been dealt with swiftly by your boss. You totally had a lawsuit. I mean I hate to get all litigious but your boss sanctioned you being harrassed and physically assalted on the job and your health being put in danger!!!!!!! You are young and if you didn't really need the job then fine, you can let it go, but in the future you have to know that this is not the type of thing you can put up with. If you were my child I'd be down there with the police and a legal army!!!!! In the future any body who lays a hand on you gets a punch in the face!!! I'm so mad!!!

14. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

I am not sure that it would do anything to sue at this point. This thread was started in 2008.

15. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

No, but it's so important that young people know that they cannot be harrassed and physically assaulted and the perpetrator walks away smiling. My post isn't just to the OP, but to anybody who finds themselves in that situation,since we learn as much from other peoples posts as we do from our own. Plus as a mom and a woman, it really ticked me off to read about that. I kept thinking, if that was my daughter. . .

ETA: Wiat, what year is it now? :)