- advertisement -

Got dexcom today =) Any advice I should be given??

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by missmakaliasmomma, Jul 1, 2014.

1. missmakaliasmomma

missmakaliasmomma Approved members

So excited we got dex today!! My daughter is not TOO crazy about it because the humongo inserter. But it's pink so she'll get over it. Anyway, any advice for making it last longer/ be more accurate? Is it true that you cannot insert it vertically? I would think people wear itvertically on their arms, no?

She doesn't give me too much of an issue with things (except comfort sets awhile ago, not a fun time in my life) so I don't think getting it in will be an issue. I've watched a youtube video and will do it again tonight. Should I wait til her insulin from dinner has worn off and it's just basal working or can I calibrate it while her food and insulin is still working?

2. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

Rachel prefers sensor insertion to site insertion. She says its better to do it slowly, slowly, slowly, millimeter by millimeter - which might not be true for others - but I always feel like whacking it in fast... maybe you could try both ways? I am looking for ideas to make it last longer because we can't get any more than 7 days..

3. Cheetah-cub

Cheetah-cub Approved members

I believe it is FDA approved for pediatric use only on the stomach and back areas. In which case, you are to insert the sensor horizontally only.

My 10-year-old like to put the Dexcom on her arms (totally fine!), in this case, you should insert the sensor vertically only.

The first time I did it, it took me a long time. But now I realized the insertion is very easy. You should watch a few of the YouTube video first. Just search on YouTub. I found them very helpful for my first insertion.

I also let my DD watch her favorite TV show or read a book to keep her mind off of it whenever I need to replace the sensor.

4. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

We haven't been using Dexcom for too terribly long but:

My daughter also says it's less painful than changing her OmniPod (and she says that doesn't hurt at all).
    Pink makes anything and everything better.
    I'd suggest an a.m. start. For a lot of people the first 12+ hours are wonky and you don't want to deal with false alarms all night long (alarms for a low when actual BG is 130-something or you get an alarm for a BG over 250 when actual BG is 122, etc.) Guess who forgot about this and was up all night for no good reason last night?
    There's a YouTube video of this little guy who can't be a day over 3 years old. His mom inserts a Dexcom sensor and the little boy says "That didn't hurt me." Except he can't pronounce his "r's". It's too precious. I think if your daughter watched how it didn't hurt someone younger than her, she might be less scared. I'll go look up the title of or link to the video right now.
    I've gotten a sensor to stay on for over 10 days by covering it with Opsite Flexifix right after insertion. Just cut a window in the middle of the Opsite for the transmitter. I'll try to find the link to an excellent photo I found on the blog Six Until Me. (My daughter's sensor was still affixed with no issues at day 10, but the sensor just wouldn't work for any longer.)
    At the end of 7 days, just re-start the sensor. You'll have to wait for another 2-hour "warm-up" but you'd have to do that anyway if you put in a new sensor.

Everyone's right: It's life-changing, you'll love it, etc.

ETA: Link to Dexcom video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5x4M9kg-BY

Link to Kerri Sparling's blog entry entitled "Opsite Flexifix: You Can Stick Around": http://sixuntilme.com/blog2/2011/10/opsiteflexifix_you_can_stick_around.html

P.S. I purchased a big-ass roll of Opsite Flexifix in a box on Amazon that looks just like the one in Kerri's photo. Rumor has it that one of those rolls will last an entire year.

One more thing: I did waste one sensor by not inserting it correctly. Be absolutely sure to put your index finger and middle finger above the collar while pushing the plunger in, then place your index finger and middle finger below the collar to pull it back. I screwed up by placing my index and middle fingers below the collar while inserting. Don't make my mistake.

O.K. finally finished.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
  5. missmakaliasmomma

So OF COURSE I decided to insert it before I read not to do it at night lol! I don't go to bed until about 12 am anyway so hopefully it won't be that bad. We watched that video, she still cried and then asked if it actually went in because she didn't feel it (hopefully she didn't feel it because I'm just that good and not because I f'ed it up

6. Lori_Gaines

Lori_Gaines Approved members

I am so excited for you!!!! I am totally addicted to my daughter's Dex. We use her stomach, and we are super fast with insertion. She does really well, and she is only 4. She does way better with that than her site changes. Don't go too high on the tummy area though. I have found above the belly button leads to issues and failures. I usually get about 10 days out of it. There are times you might hit a blood vessel and see a big pool of blood around the transmitter. Do not fear. It is fine, and I get dead on accuracy when this happens (duh!). :)

7. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

Congratulations! I've done an insertion on myself - you can feel something, but it's not bad at all.

I know you likely know this, but it can be kinda wacky the first night. I find that if I calibrate one more time within the first hour of it working (so within an hour after the two hour warm up) That helps it get a little more stable. But I always verify a first night high or low before treating - because you can get some false alarms. Dexcom told me to calibrate any time it's off 20% when over 80 or 20pts off under 80. It doesn't matter if you calibrate 6 times in a day - if it's off, it needs to know.

Since it's summer, I would search the forum for tips on swimming with a dexcom. We've found the vetwrap helps, but we still use Flexifix on the adhesive from day one year round. We change every seven days or at the most 8 - 10 day. We used to get less reliability after 7 days, but now it seems accurate, but we change it anyway when it's convenient most often on day 7 unless that won't work and we'll restart and change on a more convenient day. Remember, if for any reason - swimming, sweat or whatever, a sensor does not last 7 days, call Dexcom and they will replace that one sensor right away (to be safe always make sure you tell them it was inserted in an approved place -- stomach or back). Dexcom has also told me it's ok to pull a super inaccurate sensor (they will replace) or a really painful one (they will replace). I would call first for an inaccurate one to see if they can help bring it in line, but when I've called they've always left it up to me whether I pull it or give it more time.

And, if you are interested in remote monitoring, check out the Facebook Group - CGM in the Cloud and the new forum for the group: http://nightscout.info/forum/

8. missmakaliasmomma

Might be a dumb question.. is the sensor waterproof? I'm assuming yes but it just doesn't look like it'd be ok in water

9. packmule

packmule Approved members

Yes, it's waterproof but watch the adhesive after long term water exposure. It can start to peel up around the edges, so use tape or more Skin Tac to put it back in place.

10. mamattorney

sensor and transmitter yes - receiver not at all!

11. missmakaliasmomma

I did know not to be an idiot and put the receiver in lol. So the sensor didn't fail, I did it!! lol. I'm actually proud that my daughter didn't feel a thing and she seems ok with it as of right now. It'll get old. It's reading lower but I'm calibrating so hopefully it starts to work better

12. mamattorney

Well, considering that my daughter has jumped into the pool multiple times this summer with her pump on, I'm really glad that, prior to summer, we figured out a way for her to carry the receiver on her purse instead of in her belt (which is what we did when she first got it). I see so many posts on the Dexcom facebook page about receivers accidentally going for a swim and now residing in a bag of rice for 3 days. I'd be one of them times 6 I think.

13. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

We get 10-14 days per sensor. We use 2" strips of hypafix all around the tape it comes with and that tape over everything with a 4" square of hypafix. When we started doing it this way, we began getting better accuracy and longer life. I know they say not to tape over the transmitter, but we always did on Medtronic & my daughter said, "What's the difference between a layer of hypafix and multiple layers of clothes?" We've done it ever since. She wears it on her lower back. No interest anywhere else and only two pokes per month to rotate in that area, so that leaves the other sites for pumping.

Try to get several calibrations in the first day at steady times - top of spike, low end - and then it should hopefully be fabulously accurate for you in many ranges. I have noticed that calibrating at night doesn't work as well, and I think I've read that there is more sluggishness in the interstatial fluid during sleep.

14. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I completely agree to calibrate at both high and low ends!

If you run a tight ship then nights will be a bit harder, Laying directly on the sensor of just a very sound sleep seem to alarm at below 55. You will get a sense of the graphs plotting and be able to better tell if it might be a true low or just a pressure low that needs a gentle roll over of kiddo.

Something to be said is that when you "restart" the sensor to go past 7 days it really is a restart! no matter how right on it was just 2hrs ago, nope totally new.

Although I am not the best at practicing this method, it really is the best "looking" when going for over 10 days.

If you tape from the get go, top and bottom, then it looks all pretty and then when that starts to peel up just remove the over tape and you have a pretty looking site to get you to the end.( the top end of the sensor the side that you tuck under is the side that will need the most attention)

I do have to say that if BGs are great we can get 21days or darn close, but then when we remove there is always a bit of raised skin. I always does go away but it keeps me from going any longer.

15. Lori_Gaines

Lori_Gaines Approved members

On the swim thing, it always reads out of range for us when the transmitter is under water (including the bathtub). And, as stated, the receiver itself is not not not waterproof!!! :D

16. Lance

Lance Approved members

That cute little guy is my Grandson, now 7 years old, and pronouncing his "r's" perfectly. We are so touched that his video has been a help to people. I hadn't watched it in a long time, but it still makes me cry! :smile:

17. Mom2CNC

Mom2CNC Approved members

This sounds great, I am going to try it! We are newbies too, first one put on her lower back but we need to switch to arm because she wears her pump on her lower back too, so we are on limited real estate there. Do you think this method will also work for arm? My daughter is a fish & is in the pool every day but I would love to get the maximum use out of them. Thanks.

18. missmakaliasmomma

It works great on the arm