advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Goldfish-like crackers?

Discussion in 'Celiac' started by Ellen, Feb 9, 2007.

1. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

My friend is craving goldfish style crackers that are gluten free. Does anyone know of such a product?

Also, does anyone know of any gluten free cheese-doodle type snacks?

2. Aprilsmom

Aprilsmom Approved members

Ellen, I found a couple of websites that you may already know about, but they are www.allergygrocer.com, and www.missroben.com. They have some mock goldfish crackers on one of them and I think a recipe on the other one. Good luck to you.

3. aklap

aklap Approved members

Hi Ellen,

Would Cheetos classify as a cheese doodle? ;)

Cheetos and a host of other FritoLay products are GF.

4. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

Thanks Al. I also found some Robert's brand snacks for her. But I have not yet found the already prepared mock goldfish snacks anywhere.

5. aklap

aklap Approved members

6. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

Thanks Al. I saw the recipe. Have you ever tried it? The friend is a young grad student who is looking for easy to grab snacks...not sure she wants to take the time from her busy school/social life/boyfriend/joy of youth, to stop and bake the crackers :). She's really precious and appreciates the conveniences of the GF product manufacturers.

7. tagdaniels

tagdaniels New Member

Utz brand chips and cheese doodles are gluten free. Also, so are the naturals... And cheetos. I have a green Gluten Free Grocery book that is very handy (ordered online) and it gives all kinds of foods that are gluten free! It is very helpful for my daughter who also loves goldfish and cheese doodles. I have not found a GF already made goldfish yet but am on the look-out!
    :)
    A

8. hrermgr

hrermgr Approved members

I purchase T the Schar Gluten Free Cheese Bites. Her kindergarten class eats Goldfish and Cheese Its often and the Cheese Bites are a good substitute for her. The Bites are in different shapes--circles, squares and diamonds.

9. jcanolson

jcanolson Approved members

10. hrermgr

hrermgr Approved members

We're liking the Schar products, too. I can find them in our local grocery store which saves a trip to the gluten free store!

11. kim5798

kim5798 Approved members

We just bought a box of these Wellaby's classic cheese mini crackers that Carol referenced above. YUM. Danielle opened the box to try them while waiting for dinner to be ready. Well, we polished off the box in record time! Not exactly a cheese it or goldfish, but the texture was good. Definitely will buy again.

12. DadCares

DadCares Approved members

Ellen:

This might be the same recipe from the Internet, however: Here is the recipe my wife uses to bake goldfish. If might be too much effort for a grad-student, but someone on this board is likely to enjoy these. I don't recall how many grams of carbs for each goldfish, but I can share that if anyone needs. These are awesome!

3 oz. sharp shredded cheddar cheese (I use a heaping amount)
    3 oz. Gruyere cheese-shredded (I use a heaping amount)
    3/4 cup sorghum flour mix (3-1/2 cups sorghum flour, 1 cup potato starch, 1/2 cup tapioca flour)
    1/2 teaspoon of xanthan gum
    1/4 teaspoon each of dry mustard and sea salt
    1/8 teaspoon each of cayenne and black pepper
    4 Tablespoons butter, softened
    2-3 Tablespoons water

Put cheese and all dry ingredients in food processor. Pulse a few times to blend. Add butter 1 tablespoon at a time, pulsing between each until the mixture is the consistency of very small peas. Add water 1 tablespoon at a time, pulse just until dough holds together when pinched between fingers. If still too crumbly, add more water 1 teaspoon at a time. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and chill for 2 hours or longer. Then roll out and cut. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper. Roll out and cut. Add sea salt before and after baking. Bake at 375 degrees for 8-10 minutes.

If you want round crackers, roll into a log before chilling. Then slice into 1/4" slices before baking.

13. aklap

aklap Approved members