- advertisement -

Going untethered for vacation- worth it?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Charliesmom, Mar 18, 2010.

1. Charliesmom

Charliesmom Approved members

We are thinking about going to a waterpark and an amusement park for vacation this year. Would it be worth going untethered for a week or 2? Would that be okay?

2. 2boysmom

2boysmom Approved members

Oh, I can't wait to see the responses of other's experiences! We are vacationing at the beach and our CDE suggested untethered as a good option for us.

3. Charliesmom

Oh, good. I haven't mentioned it to the endo, yet. I hope she is as supportive as your CDE.:)

4. melissajm

melissajm Approved members

Both of my kids with D are untethered all the time. We started because of football, but continued because Ben loved not having the pump on him all the time. Lilly tried it last summer when we had a week of pool parties, beach, etc. & she loved it too. I definitely think it is worth a try. You might want to start a couple of days before you go away to give you time to make any necessary adjustments to the Lantus dose.

5. mcleodja

mcleodja Approved members

I cannot recommend it enough. We have been doing it for over a year now. When megan goes to diabetes camp or swimming it takes he pressure off to get out and reconnect. As for our diabetes team, we never asked, we just mentioned it to them that we were doing it and since our A1C's have always been good they went along with it. Really, how can anyone say no because we all have long acting insulin just in case our pumps fail and us the parents are the people who are responsible for our childrens care.

Another plus about untethered is that it give a further safety margin if a site fails or a site change went bad because the kid still has insulin in the system.

just my two cents

6. Judy&Alli

Judy&Alli Approved members

We do it for every vacation! It is a nice break. But when vacation is over she is happy to have her pump back;) We usually go to the beach and I just don't want to mess around with the sand. We put her site in her arm for vacation and wrap it with sports wrap and we are good to go! Have fun!!!

7. Toni

Toni Banned

No, but may have a need to do this in the future. Would like to know how it works out. I think it is a good idea for days spent at beach, water sports and water parks.

8. Charliesmom

Thanks for the replies. I really think it would make the trip more enjoyable.
    I think it would be nice to do it for the whole summer. I don't enjoy the pool at all because of it. I just don't know if he would put up with the shots for that long. It would be so nice though

9. melissajm

melissajm Approved members

It took Lilly about 3 or 4 days to get used to shots again & now it is no problem at all! And remember it may only be one shot a day w/ lantus.

10. mcleodja

mcleodja Approved members

remember that your basal rates will need to be adjusted when you go untethered since a latus needle is not absorbed the same way insulin is absorbed with the pump, we just fiddle with basals to compensate that way only one shot per day is required unless it is an emergency needle due to site failures etc...

11. piratelight

piratelight Approved members

We did it for a few weeks at the end of last summer for a pump break. Hunter liked having the break and if he wanted to do it again I would in a heartbeat. He usually wears his pump all summer at the beach, at water park vacations he disconnects for most of the time we are in the waterpark only reconnecting to bolus and later in the day. He's usually so active that his sugar stays well in range being disconnected most of the time. He tests hourly and reconnects to correct if necessary.

12. joy orz

joy orz Approved members

The Ping is waterproof.

We went to Florida last year and never took it off. On beach days, I put it inside a ziplock back and used a waterproof bandaide to seal up the tubing to keep the sand out. Then just wore it in a spi belt tucked under her bathing suit.

I would be too nervous that my bag would get swiped with the pump in it. Plus, Lantus doesn't work well for Ava, her basal needs are SO different at night than they are during the day.

LOVE the waterproof feature of the pump. She is a little mermaid and spent hours in the pool with no problem.

We did get CVS brand waterproof bandaides to keep the sets on. Those suckers stuck forever.

13. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

We run about 75% basal through lantus ALL the time.
    Started last summer when his set kept coming off all the time swimming. It works for us. He can take off the pump during exercise, bu there is just enough play with the basals that we can still reduce and increase.

14. linda

linda Approved members

Im interested in responses as well. I take it these are mostly younger kids. Our 1st vacation with D was disney MDI I would not want to do that again. Our trip to bahamas (cozmo) went so much better. just think easier. I think its easier to hook up the pump and correct, then to take shots. (Obviosly Em did/does too)
    but i can see evryone elses "point" lol.....
    Whatever works!!!!!!!!!!!!;):rolleyes: