- advertisement -

Going to Greece

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by emm142, Jan 15, 2011.

1. emm142

emm142 Approved members

On Feb. 19th-26th, I'm going on a trip to Greece with school. One of the two teachers who are coming knows I have T1D, but neither of them really know much about it because they've never taught me before.

So far, I've made sure I'm covered by insurance in case of any D related hospital visits, which I hope will not happen! I plan on taking a lot of glucose tabs, wearing CGMS, and bringing extra supplies. How many extra do you think I should take, for a week long trip? I just keep thinking about flights being cancelled because of snow / any other incident, and it really freaks me out.

I'm training up one of the friends I'll be sharing a room with on glucagon (she was very willing, I didn't push at all, which is great. It'll be good to have someone who knows how to do that). I was just wondering if anyone can think of anything I've forgotten.

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

That's great news, Emma! Where in Greece will you be?

3. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

I've read suggestions about taking twice as much of everything that you think you'll need and keeping it in two different places. Have FUN!!!

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I'd PM Pavlos and get the lay of the land from a local.;)

5. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

Oh, you will LOVE it. LOVE it.
    If I were going with Selah, mostly I'd bring cash, local. Unless you're going off the beaten path, I'd think that if you're well supplied you can supplement from a corner store if you get in a spot.

6. CheriMomTo8

CheriMomTo8 Approved members

When we travel I take 2-3x the supplies I need. Ya never know! Sounds like you have thought of a lot. Lots of glucose tabs is good. Have you traveled before? Sometimes the hustle and stress makes for a lot of lows. Have a great time! Drop us a line about it.

7. Liongirl4

Liongirl4 Approved members

Pavlos was very helpful when I pm'd him before Samantha went to Athens last year. He assured us that there were many local pharmacies with diabetic supplies, and gave us the number of the US trained endo he used in Athens.
    Sam LOVED Greece and the pictures are beautiful..I think she has a picture of her checking her BG somewhere in Greece!
    Have fun!!

8. Sammerjam

Sammerjam Approved members

My mom already posted, but I had to chime in, too.

I went to Greece my senior year of high school...it was a blast! I had no diabetes related issues during the trip. We did a lot of planning. I packed a seperate diabetes bag to carry on the plane with me, with 2 copies of a letter of medical necessity and an loaner insulin pump in case mine broke. I knew my teacher pretty well, but only really discussed emergency situations like hospitalizations, and she had a plan in place in case anyone on the trip got sick, etc. I roomed with friends who knew about diabetes and could have given glucagon if necessary.
    The airports were fine, though Heathrow in London was the strictest on security...they were the only ones that looked at my letter.
    Beyond that, I just made sure I had plenty of supplies with me everyday, checked often (especially after a lot of SWAG boluses for strange Greek food, lol), and made sure I stayed on top of things.
    I hope you have a great trip! Greece is a beautiful country...you will definitely enjoy it!

9. chbarnes

chbarnes Approved members

A backup pump is nice, but may not be available. If not, consider taking Lantus and some syringes, in case your pump fails. Have your pump settings written down - Chris had to reprogram his Omnipod and enter all the settings once, when he was traveling with a group.

Ask your doctor for medicine for nausea and diarrhea that you could take if you got a bug. It could save you from possible hospitalization.

Just go through the mental exercise of asking,"What do I do if this doesn't work?"
    But above all, have a great time.

10. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

How exciting! I hope you have a great time! I've always wanted to visit continental Greece!

Definitely try to PM Pavlos and get some pointers for your stay.

Enjoy!

11. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Approved members

I'd also suggest PMing Pavlos. There may be a few issues with the availability of some supplies. With the financial situation in Greece the government told pharmaceutical companies they weren't going to pay them the full amount for medicines so I think glucagon, for one, may have been pulled by the manufacturer. Check what the current situation is with Pavlos and if in doubt just take plenty of extras.

Have a great time.

12. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Approved members

That'll teach me to google before I post :rolleyes:

It looks like the situation was resolved last year
    Would probably still be a good idea to talk to Pavlos.

13. zatff

zatff Approved members

I would take a months supply of everyting you think you will need in your carry on luggage. Also bring a lists of meds and prescriptions in case you need to buy something in Greece. You may still need a doctors order there but it helps if you have something indicating exactly what you take and how often. Do you use a insulin pump. pen or needles. Insulin pens and glucagon pens are easier to carry than needles. fIf on a pump get an extra spare to bring along. Most companies will loan you one if you don't have an old one.

14. Pavlos

Pavlos Approved members

Emma. I am sure you will have a great time! I will send you contact details of my daughter's US-trained endo just in case. Ans please don't hesitate to ask any questions by PM :)

15. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Thanks, everyone. Sorry it took a while to get back here, I've been very busy. Some very good ideas here to think about.