- advertisement -

going to Amazon for pump supplies

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Debdebdebby13, Jun 22, 2012.

1. Debdebdebby13

Debdebdebby13 Approved members

Our Omnipod is arriving next Tuesday and hopefully we'll get our pump training a couple of days after that, the turn around appears to be pretty quick at our endo's office.

I am planning on going to Amazon and order the supplies we'll need to clean/prep the site and then whatever we need to make sure the pod sticks.

What things are your go to "brand" for pump supplies. I hear lots of names of tapes etc thrown around as well as skin preps and I want to know what you like best. I know all skin chemistry is different but I'd like a good place to start, and that is where your suggestions come in :)

Also, is there anything else you would definitely have on hand for pump start?

2. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I'm unconventional and don't prep the skin with anything, including alcohol. Soap and water is good enough for me, and I've never had a site infection (in 4 years).

As for tape, I love Hypafix. It stays on for 7 days and doesn't hurt to peel off. It is a white, fabric tape (like pump sites are made of) and I think it 'breathes' better than the plastic ones I've tried - so doesn't irritate my skin like they do.

3. caspi

caspi Approved members

We don't prep the area before a pod change. My son showers right before so the area is clean. When he first started on the Omnipod 4 years ago, we used Skin Tac to help keep the pods in place however haven't used anything in the past year or so. I don't know if the adhesive they use is different, but they most definitely stick better. :) We use Vetwrap to wrap his pod if he's playing sports (he wears it on his upper thighs).

We also put a dab of Neosporin on the spot where the cannula was when we change the pod. Quite honestly I don't know why we started doing this, but it has become a habit. ;)

Good luck with your pump start!!

4. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

We've purchased a number of things and tried them, but now use few to none of them. We used to use Hibiclens to clean the new site, and tried various skin prep products (several brands of prep wipes plus tincture of benzoin). We've also used Tegaderm over the pod for swimming and various tapes and Vetrap.

Now the only thing we use consistently are Unisolve wipes to remove the old pods.

That said, it is definitely worthwhile to try different things to see what works best for your child.

5. manda81

manda81 Approved members

The only extras we buy are Vet Wrap (we buy it cheapest at the local Tractor Supply or Feed Stores, and in more colors), and Skin Tac wipes, which we only use for all-day swim trips or the beach. We did buy a box of those from Amazon about a year ago, most of them are still sitting in the cabinet. :p

I do keep a few alcohol wipes on hand, but usually we do a pod change after a shower. And we use baby oil for removal (baby oil old site, hop in the shower, and it almost falls off in your hand.) But we just grab that at Walmart/Target, etc.

6. selketine

selketine Approved members

We don't use the Pod but I buy supplies sometimes at Amazon and I also like American Diabetes Wholesale. I've gotten better prices at ADW sometimes even when shipping is figured in.

We like Opsite Flexifix - the big roll that is 4" by 10.9 yards. I use that to hold down the edges of his Dexcom. That rolls lasts forever for us - like 2 years. ADW has hypafix too - I should order that sometime.

I buy stuff like Unisolve, Opsite, Skin Tac and the strips for the blood ketone meter OOP.

7. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

8. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

For the pod, the only tape we use is two 1" strips right across the center and onto the skin about an inch beyond where the tape from the actual pod extends. Since doing this, we have never had a pod rip off of the adhesive from getting caught on something. She only wears it on her arms, and before doing this, she had a couple come off and they won't replace them for that reason. We do use barrier cream and spray underneath but there is no reason to do that unless you have problems with skin getting irritated. That doesn't usually happen right away.

9. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

You might want to go through a distributor that will work with your insurance. We get much better prices through edgepark because of the negotiated pricing through the insurance. Also, the dollars spent go towards our deductible.

10. swellman

swellman Approved members

Alcohol pads - any brand. That's all we use.

11. Jaredsmom

Jaredsmom Approved members

For prep we use germ x wipes followed by and alcohohol wipe for removal we used to use detachol but just started using Avon skin so soft and it works great. To tape pods down for the most part we just rely on the tape that's on them however during the summer we have used sport tape tegaderm , and we are current using Hypafix with great success. We also tried medipore it does not work it is not sticky enough. Jared only does sites on his tummy for the pod and arms for his Dexcom.

12. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

Just out of curiousity--I thought the Germ X wipes were alcohol-based -- but you use a second alcohol wipe after using the Germ X one?

13. Jaredsmom

Jaredsmom Approved members

We do the alcohol wipe afterward because the germ x has aloe in it. The alcohol gets of any oils off the skin we also use the same germ x wipe to clean off the old sie of any residue from whatever was used to remove the old pod. They are nice and big and the alcohol wipes are kinda small for doing this. Just what works for us.

14. bnmom

bnmom Approved members

Your pod rep will be able to hook you up with a couple sample packs of all the "extras" (tape, adhesives, removers) so be sure to ask if they don't offer it upfront. That way you can see which products work best and are most useful for you guys so you can target brand names before you spend any $.

The only extras my son uses right now are alcohol swabs (any brand) and hypafix that he puts on if a pod starts to come loose. I get the hypafix on amazon (2"x10yd for $8-9) because I have no problem coming up with enough other items to buy to hit the $25 minimum for free shipping :D. A roll lasts us a good 6 months easy.

I like the neosporin idea mentioned, never thought of that but I think we'll add it to our line up. :cwds:

15. swellman

swellman Approved members

Equally confused ....

16. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

Thanks. We use Unisolve wipes to take off old pods, so a larger, gentler wipe might be useful.

17. jakdmm

jakdmm Approved members

We love the liquid Skin Tac (the wipes don't work as well for us). We rarely need it, but we use Hypafix tape if we have a loose pod, and we also use Unisolve to remove the pod (unless we change right after a bath or swimming). We buy it all from Amazon.

Good luck.

18. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

When you tape the pod down, do you cover the whole thing or just a strip across the pod or just around the existing tape?

19. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

You can do it any of those ways.

At first, when DD went swimming, I put a large Tegaderm over the whole pod. Then I started cutting out a spot for the pod in the middle and tried that. Now we don't use it when swimming.

We've had some loose pods and have used Band-Aids and tape across the whole pod or just around the existing tape, depending on how loose it is and what DD is doing. For us, BSN Cover-Roll, which is a slightly stretchy tape, works the best -- either over the pod or on the tape.