- advertisement -

Going on the Pod

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Brensdad, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Brensdad

Brensdad Approved members

Our insurance is going to cover both the Omnipod and her MM Revel and CGMS, so we ordered the PDM and pods yesterday. We're really hoping that the pods will allow her (and us) to enjoy the pool more without worrying about her missing basal.

A BIG THANK YOU to my insurance angel at work for helping to get this done!

2. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I'll be interested to hear what you think about doing it that way. Even if the MM was rated as waterproof, it would be so ungainly to wear in the water. But it's a pain to have him reconnect and bolus for half of missed basal every 60-90 min., especially in a waterpark situation. Let us know how it works for you.

3. susan

susan Approved members

We switched from the MM to the pod 2 years ago (wow can't believe it's been that long)..Anyway, we have been extremely happy, especially in the summer when he can go swimming and not have to worry about taking it off..

4. saxmaniac

saxmaniac Approved members

Congrats. I hope you like it.

We just came back from summer vacation. Since my oldest broke his jaw, it limited our planned activities of lots of biking, so I decided to encourage him to swim a LOT. Alex came along for the ride, and they probably were in the water 6 hours a day. They both had enough time to learn how do new things: to float, doggy paddle, and go underwater with/without holding their nose.

With the Dex for the first time, I was shocked. It was the best numbers we've had in a while! Barely had to feed any lows at all.

Karla, the PDM and pods are cheap enough that it's a viable option to buy a box of pods just for "swimming days". Why not have the best of both worlds?

5. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

I wonder how your insurance angel worked that one out.

When it comes to water, I actually wish we'd gone with a tubed pump so I could disconnect. Does the pod calculate IOB differently from the MM? That would be something to keep in mind.

6. khannen

khannen Approved members

Good luck with the transition to podding. We love it! It sure made our weekly 5 hour long swim meets and beach vacation much easier. I love that I don't have to suspend anything and deal with missed basal.

7. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Would you share which insurance company you have? And how the argument was made to get them to cover both systems?

8. lil'Man'sMom

lil'Man'sMom Approved members

We love the pod for swimming.

Mann wants to wrestle this coming winter, I am not sure he could with the pod.

9. Brensdad

Brensdad Approved members

It's fairly common that employer-sponsored health insurance plans are self-funded; meaning the company pays the bills directly, and the insurance company really just administers the plan, enforces policy, etc. I began by talking to our large-case management representative, and she thought it was a great idea, and our benefits administrator agreed. Insulet was out of network for us, so they negotiated a special contract just for us (they offered this to me as well if I wanted to try it too), and now her PDM and Pods should be here today or tomorrow.

If you have an employer-sponsored plan, it's worth asking for these types of things. Our plan also has a lifetime DME max of $50,000, which panicked me to no end, and my company said to ignore it, because it would cost the company way more if they stopped covering our DME. All the common sense being applied had my head spinning.

I've always advocated using the nurse that the insurance company often assigns to diabetics; they can often slice right through any red tape, and using them saves your employer money.