- advertisement -

Going crazy here...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Kelly, Dec 28, 2008.

1. Java

Java Approved members

How is he doing today? I would take him in too. That way you will have it on record that you tried to get him help even if they do send you home. You know how quick things can change. He is adorable. ;) I am so sorry you are going thru this.

2. annaluvspink

annaluvspink Approved members

We also have a little one (2 3/4 years) who wets through diapers and frequently wakes up with a sopping wet and leaky diaper every morning. I've checked bgs and the highest # I got was 156--that was last June. She is also extremely thirsty. Those are her only symptoms if they are symptoms at all.

I can relate to how crushing this can feel. Prayers to you. Your son is simply adorable.

Michelle
    Mom to Annabelle 6.5 dx'd 3/07
    Mallory 2.5 non-d (and hopefully will stay that way)

3. Alba37

Alba37 Approved members

What a gorgeous wee boy you have Kelly.... in fact 2 very beautiful children!

I hope Alex is ok, please let us know how he's doing,

My thoughts are with you,

A x

4. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

Your sig says he tested negative for the antibodies. I'd strongly suggest you get both of your little ones in for a test for monogenetic diabetes.

5. Kelly

Kelly Approved members

I have continued on at home with Alex. He is doing okay. We did notice he now has very mild thrush in his mouth and he still has nappy rash. I am home today, so I will feed him up on carbs/sugar and take him in when (if... he always does, but you never know) his sugar spikes.

I spoke to Mum last night. My younger brother was sick for a year prior to being diagnosed at 11 years old ... all the classic symptoms, plus he did not grow at all in height, he was a shorty. Mum and Dad was checking his sugar at home (as she could get no help from the Dr) on my Dad's machine (dx in his late 20's early 30's on insulin, they say its type 2 though).

They recorded them, took it to the Dr and was told he 'did not have diabetes and never would.' All this with slamming his fist on the desk! :eek: Mum and Dad finally just fed him up and took him in. He spiked at the hospital, dropped and so the next day the hospital sent him out to eat whatever he wanted, checked his sugar when he returned, it was high teens, low twenties and was diagnosed and put on insulin that day.

I dont want Alex to be really sick to get a diagnosis. I checked him at bed and he was 13.8 (248.4), rechecked a couple of hours later and he was down to 8.7 (156.6). We are worried that we will take him and he will be in range by the time they check him and they will just wave us off as stupid parents. They dont have a lot of experience with young onsets here.

I actually dont know if Anna had them or not, I think she did, or at least that is what they told us... I think. Minds pretty muddled right now. I did suggest this testing when Anna was about one yrs old, and they said no, it is not that. You have to be under 6 months old to even have a chance that it would be that. Basically shot down for it. :confused:

Thanks everyone for the well wishes. I will keep you all posted. It may be something else... who knows.

And yes... I agree, he is a cutey! :p

6. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

(((HUGS))), I agree about giving him a bottle of OJ and setting off to the ER.

7. betty6333

betty6333 Approved members

I too, would give him a bottle of oj, and take him into the er where there is an endo on call.

8. momof3sons

momof3sons Approved members

I would grab a bottle of juice and the diaper bag and get in the car right now.

9. Rusty

Rusty Approved members

Reading the symtoms you describe sounds so much like what i was seeing before Londons DX. Thrush in a 18 month old is not normal. London was DKA at DX and things did go bad very fast for him, so fast i almost lost him. I agree with the other posters about giving juice and going to ER. Please dont put it off. When i looked at that picture it reminded me so much of London. He often sleeps the exzact same way(very precious).

10. Omo2three

Omo2three Approved members

I think your Mommy radar is on target, the worst they can do at Er is send you home, better safe than sorry.

Sorry you are going through this. My dd had dark circles under her eyes too, has your precious little one had a virus recently too?

I love the little curls..... what a cutie:cwds:

11. Nova

Nova Approved members

I would take him in. No question in my mind. As a Mom of 2 type 1's, I would totally take him in. Take all of the #'s you have with you too.

12. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

You must be terribly worried, but you have the right instincts and will do what is necessary for him. Don't let your thoughts of overreacting prevent you from taking him in. I remember thinking the same thing, even as I was driving Amanda to the ER. After she was dx'd, the triage nurse came and told me she took one look at Amanda and suspected D immediately.

It is always better to err on the side of caution (and hopefully that will turn out to be the case.)