- advertisement -

Going Bionic! (Bionic Pancreas Camp Study)

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by sneakermom, Jul 20, 2014.

1. sneakermom

sneakermom Approved members

We are so excited to report that we just dropped DD off at camp where she will be wearing the BU/MGH bionic pancreas. They fitted her with her receiver brick and she was off and running. For the first week, she will do usual care (wearing her own insulin pump and dosing for meals and corrections). Next Sunday, she gets to go bionic with the closed-loop system. I really feel like we are on the brink of something very special and life-changing for our kiddos. It's not a cure, but it has the potential to be a highly useful tool while we work toward the ultimate goal. Dr. Ed Damiano and his team are heroes in our book. I'll post any updates that I can, but it may take awhile for info. I don't get to talk to DD, and relying on her (excited busy body) to write may be futile! Lol! We are wishing her and the other participants much success! Hope it goes beautifully!

2. Lisa - Aidan's mom

Lisa - Aidan's mom Approved members

Very exciting! Hope she has a great time at camp and looking forward to your update.

3. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

I'm so excited for her - what a fantastic opportunity!

4. Joseph

Joseph Approved members

Let us know. It is high time for good news.

5. roo'smom

roo'smom Approved members

Our daughter's camp is participating in this study as well, however, I won't know whether she was in the control or experimental (bionic) group until I pick her up on Friday. Hope your daughter has a great time!

6. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

Very exciting! We will live vicariously through you (and our kids through your DD!). Updates please!

7. mo779

mo779 Approved members

Wishing both of you all the best, and prayers and best wishes for all the researchers & developers. I hope everything goes beyond expectations. I just can't wait for the time when we start to have threads with titles such as "Our BP/AP coming tomorrow" & "Got my BP/AP today" etc. =). Hope that day comes soon.

8. roo'smom

roo'smom Approved members

Did you get a phone call today saying that the study in on hold? We did - also found out that dd is/was in the control group (she was a bit disappointed according to the camp endo).

9. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

Congrats and I am jealous. Please keep us posted. I'm very curious how it goes relative to your expectations going in. Hope it goes great!

10. sneakermom

Hey! This is a different study. I'm guessing by your location that you are participating in the UVA trials? The study at Clara Barton/Joslin (Boston University/MassGeneral) with Ed Damiano's BP is running now. They are different systems. I hope they are able to get your study up soon, so your daughter can participate. That's disappointing for sure! Crossing our fingers for her and hoping she has fun at camp regardless!

11. sneakermom

Amen to that!!!!!

12. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I have watched more than a few BP videos and have to say that the liberation that these candidates get is mind-blowing.

I do have more questions but they are for afterwards when she is done with camp and the BP experience!

13. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

Awesome and so exciting for you guys!!!

14. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

So how did it go?

15. sariana

sariana Approved members

I have been looking forward to information on the BP since I first heard about it. We are all hopeful that it will work wonderfully!

16. sneakermom

Sorry for the delay. It's been crazy busy around here between getting home, buying a house, and starting DD in a new school. The study...It went very well! The results were super encouraging. I'd like to share more details, but they've asked that we wait until info is published before getting into the finer points. I was very impressed with what I saw though.

In terms of DD's thoughts on the device, she said the following: 1. It's a bit clunky in it's current form, but she knows that they are looking into a dual chamber pump. It'll get less bulky with fewer pieces over time. 2. She loved that she didn't have to calculate carbs or figure out doses. 3. She had a little "aha" moment after they disconnected her at the end of the study. I asked her to do a bG check so that we could dose for a snack. She said, "Ugh, we have to do THAT again!"

If you have specific questions, I'm happy to try to answer or ask DD for you.