- advertisement -

Going back to MDI - any advice?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by dqmomof3, Jun 23, 2014.

1. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

Hello, everyone! I don't post too much anymore - seems like life just keeps getting crazier.

DD (now almost 16...was 9 when I joined here) is on the Omnipod and Dexcom CGM, but she has developed lipodistrophy due to only wearing her pods in two specific places. We could go back to the MM pump, but for now, she's decided to switch back to MDI. We only did MDI for the first seven weeks of diabetes life...straight to the pump after that...so this is a big change for us. I'm assuming we'll be doing Lantus again and Novolog. We had trouble with Apidra in the pump, although it has been about four years since we've used it, so it might be ok with MDI.

Any great advice for us? :smile: We'll be continuing to use the Dex, so I think MDI will be a lot better this go around than it was at the beginning.

Thanks in advance, as always...and I really need to update my signature! The boys are 20 and 18 now...

2. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

could you just use the MM pump for bolus advice and to track IOB and such? I think it would be hard to have been pumping for so long with little MDI under your belt to just go straight MDI, or you could use one of those APPS I think a lot use diabetes360.

Your dd is probably not too sensitive but they do make 6mm syringes now with 1/2unit markings if you need more precise dosing.

3. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

Go with pens. Compared to syringes/bottles they are sooo much easier.

4. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

When my daughter took her pump break, we found an app called Diabetes 360. We used that until both kdis started pumping last spring. You can input all of the settings from your pump and then use it to calculate boluses, track sites, etc. It was fabulous and made MDI so easy. Everything exports, too. We used it on iPod Touches but if your daughter has a smart phone, she could just get the app on there.

5. wilf

wilf Approved members

Funny, we've found the opposite.. :)

6. wilf

wilf Approved members

A previous post outlines the high-tech way to finesse the switch.. :)

If you're going the low tech way, I would give her as much Lantus as she's getting basal now. Depending on her daily usage pattern, you might want to play with the timing of giving the Lantus. Best is if you give it a few hours before her peak in daily basals.

I would go Apidra rather than Novolog, it is so much faster and thus great for both corrections and bolusing - much reduces the need for prebolusing.

Good luck and good to see you on here again! :cwds:

7. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

Before we switched to pumping (which my daughter loves) we switched from MDI via syringes to pens. We, too, found this much easier. But this is not the case for everyone. At least giving pens a try won't be an overly expensive trial in order to find out if your daughter prefers pens to syringes.

8. missmakaliasmomma

missmakaliasmomma Approved members

I second Apidra. It didn't work in the pump for us but if I ever need to give her a shot, it's Apidra. Sucks it didn't work in the pump but I think it's still a great option.

And I like pens, dd doesn't. Plus she does have leakage with the pens

9. wilf

wilf Approved members

Pen leakage drove me crazy. Plus pens are bulky. A syringe and a pen vial of Apidra can be slipped anywhere.. :cwds:

10. Ali

Ali Approved members

Adult here but I too found grabbing a vial of insulin and a syringe easier to carry and easier to use than the pens. I have always used the tiniest needle size and 30 unit syringes wit 1/2 unit markings once they were available. I just have found syringes easier to use then pens, but maybe just habit :smile: ali

11. wilf

wilf Approved members

Exactly what we use.. :cwds:

12. Ali

Ali Approved members

Thanks Wilf. I am now pretty high tech, pump, apidra, cgms, but I am one of those who basal needs go from tiny to huge to medium amounts over 24 hours, and if I also vacuum the house for 20 minutes my basal needs drop by 30 percent for several hours, so the shots do not work so well, never mind teen year hormones, pregnancy hormones and now older age hormones:redface::smile But if no pump I still prefer a vial of inulin and a syringe :) if needed. :) My Docs were not so knowledgable as you with shots and insulins, my main adjustments were no eating or gobbling sugar for 30 years. :reface: ali

13. sszyszkiewicz

We have these disposable non refillable pens. They dont leak unless you have a needle screwed in. i have heard about refillable pens. i also heard you can dial those to 1/2 units. The disposable one I have is whole unit only. Sometimes we wish it was able to do half unit increments.

14. Lisa - Aidan's mom

Lisa - Aidan's mom Approved members

The Novo Echo Pens are now available in the U.S. Do you go to CHOP? Ask them to send you one.

15. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I think what the previous posters are referring to is "leak back" when you remove the pen needle from the skin after a proper 10 count a bead of insulin on the skin that has "leaked back" out.

While we do use the pen for Lantus I wouldn't for MDI and would prefer to use syringes because they just seem to leak back less.

16. sszyszkiewicz

God I am such a newbie! :)

and yes I do see a small bead from time to time.

17. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

Way back when we were still using pens (at the beginning of this month right before my daughter started pumping) we did notice some leak back even after waiting 10 seconds to remove the pen needle. Our CDE instructed us to hold down the end of the pen (the "eject button") with a thumb during the 10 second count before removing the needle. Once we started doing this, leak back became a rare occurrence.