- advertisement -

Glutenization Symptoms

Discussion in 'Celiac' started by Tricia22, May 29, 2011.

1. Tricia22

Tricia22 Approved members

What do different people experience as far as symptoms, etc. when they are glutenized after being GF for a length of time?

I have done right around 3 weeks thus far GF, been feeling pretty darn good, but had decided from the start that I would do a gluten challenge. I was planning on doing it right at the end, but we had a family gathering yesterday that wasn't very GF friendly, so I decided I would do the best I could, but if I got glutenized voluntarily or involuntarily, I would take that info. as part of my data in this experiment and seehow I felt, etc.

Well, I ate a little dinner roll obviously knowing it contained gluten, but there really weren't other carbs and I didn't feel like having one of my GF snack bars for carbs with dinner... I think other than that, I was completely GF.
    I had insane GI issues last night, but also had a super bad headache. I am saying the GI issues were gluten related, but I'm not sure what would have caused the crazy bad headache unless that's a commonly experienced effect of consuming gluten after being GF.

Any GF-ers have any thoughts about the headache? Maybe should have only had 1 glass of sangria instead of 2? Gluten-induced migraine / headache? Who the heck knows?

Thanks!

2. zapsmom

zapsmom Approved members

I do not have celiac but my Dh does. I know with him, if he has something that is not GF then he can get stomach pains within 45 mins of having something that is not GF. He has never said anything about a headache though. The headache could be from the wine you had. I know that I can get a pretty bad headache from drinking sangria even if it is one glass.

3. Caldercup

Caldercup Approved members

When I or my son get glutenized, we both experience bad GI issues (rather "explosive" at times) about 4-6 hours after ingestion. I also get headaches and my husband says I get grumpy. ;) Then I find I have very mild intestinal cramps for another 36 hours -- I've described it as feeling as if little fingers are pinching at my GI tract.

And we were totally asymptomatic before dx and only found out about the Celiac due to the testing our endo team does for new T1Ds.

4. jewlzann

jewlzann Approved members

i asked my daughters dr about this... he said reaction could be weeks later??? i would have never thought that... that certainly would not help in identifying a culprit....

5. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

A headach can definitely be from being glutenized.. One problem with being glutenized is that is can show in multiple forms. I would definitely put that as a reaction. I've heard that the reactions are worse after going gluten free than while still eating gluten before being dx with celiac (or whatever..).. So, its possible your body 'freaked' out.

We also see reactions fairly quickly, if you've consumed a lot the reactions may last weeks.. the biggest reactions we've seen so far have to do with bgs.

6. wdhinn89

wdhinn89 Approved members

I can not answer about the GF portion of your post but I will say that last night I had 1 glass of white sangria with fruit at a friends house and I am on my 3rd round of Advil. I can't seem to get rid of this headache.