- advertisement -

Gluten free prepackaged snack ideas

Discussion in 'Celiac' started by Jordansmom, Feb 17, 2011.

1. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

My newly married, college student son has just been dxd with Celiac. I've suspected it for a long time, but never got a dx when he was younger, even after asking for a celiac test.

I really need some good suggestions for easy breakfasts and lunches. He is already a very picky eater. His schedule is ridiculous. He has two days where he is in classes from 8 in the morning until 9 at night. He is desperate for some easy, portable snack ideas. Buying random gluten free products and then hating them is killing his budget. I'd really appreciate some recommendations of been there, loved that.

2. tsoccer5

tsoccer5 Approved members

Our go to stuff:
    Zone perfect bars are our Go To
    Larabars she did get sick of
    cheesesticks or rounds
    Glutino pretzels & peanut butter
    potato chips
    ricecakes all flavors
    cheetos
    fritos
    tortilla chips and salsa
    fruit
    fruit rollups
    fruit chews
    popcorn
    smartfood
    bags of gluten free cereal: fruity pebbles, cookie crisp, chex, cocoa pebbles,
    cocoa puffs (I think), Trix, Cinnamon Chex is our go to right now!
    trail mixes (peanuts, raisins, other nuts, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, a few m&ms)

And for breakfasts and lunches Udi's bread is THE Best, they make muffins too

3. kim5798

kim5798 Approved members

all of the above are great ideas.

we also like:

Mrs. Mays Naturals--they have indiv bags of nut/seed/fruit clusters. and also bars. The Cashew ones are sooo good!

Danielle also likes the Envirokids Crispy Rice Bars--like a rice crispy treat, but they have a few varieties--pnut butter, chocolate drizzle, fruity burst.

There are some other granola type bars--Bakery on Main? I think is the brand. We are out right now. The box is brown/tan. Danielle's favorite right now.

I think there are In & Out Burger in Utah now--not sure if that is where your son is as well? Danielle orders a "flying dutchman" which is 2 patties with cheese. They only fry fresh potatoes in their fryers, so they are gluten free as well. He could also get a protein style burger with lettuce instead of bun.

4. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

Thanks so much. Great ideas.:)

He tried chick-fila and definitely got glutenized. Very disappointed. But they have found a great chinese restaurant nearby that has become their emergency "fast food". I didn't know about in and out burger. He'll be thrilled.

Its difficult because he's too busy with life to stop and figure all this out, but he feels so miraculously good, he refuses to eat any gluten. So he's kind of starving making the transition, kwim?

5. Caldercup

Caldercup Approved members

I'm a big fan of all the Shar products -- love their cookies! (Though their bread mix came out awful.)

The Nut Crunch bars from General Mills are gluten free and easy to tuck into a backpack.

When we took a long car trip this summer and lived out of a cooler, we ate lots of grapes, raisins, bananas, Baybel cheeses, Hormel pepperoni, string cheese, Laughing Cow cheeses (they don't have to be refrigerated!), Glutino pretzels, Crunchmaster multi-grain crackers, Smartfood popcorn, and things like that.

6. hrermgr

hrermgr Approved members

My whole family loves Glutino pretzels...they now have chocolate and yogurt covered GF pretzels. So yummy!

Fritos are GF and so are most plain potato chips. Is there a Trader Joe's nearby? They have a lot of GF options including taquitos and mini tacos that are GF. Hormel Beef Stew and Potato & Ham "Big Bowls" are GF, too. They are quick and hearty. And many Chex cereals are now GF.

Good Luck!

7. jewlzann

jewlzann Approved members

Also, yogurt (there are many that are gf), lunch meat and cheese (no bread) or with the Crunchmaster Crackers. There are lots of chips that are gluten free, we like the Cape Cod. You have to check by location, but Wendys french fries are cooked safely in some locales. Obviously all fruits an vegetables are GF too.

8. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

coco pebbles and fruity pebbles now make 'cereal' bars, like rice krispy treats.. Kaylee loves them.. they're new so may not be in all stores.

I'd have him by regular food that is already gluten free.. it'll be way easier on his budget. Most of general mills cereals are gf.. they do an excellent job of labeling things. He could make a trail mix of sorts.. a big batch and then split it into containers/baggies so they are easy to grab.

Glutino makes a gf cereal bar. Have him look for Udi's products. They make muffins, coffee rolls, breads.. all very good. Kaylee's favorite for bread products.