- advertisement -

Gluten-free pasta

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by MamaLibby, Jun 4, 2012.

1. MamaLibby

MamaLibby Approved members

First pasta dinner since going GF in January, and I'm wondering how to bolus for it. We're having brown rice penne with Alfredo sauce and veggies.

For this typical meal not GF I would bolus the carbs (minus half the fiber) with a 70/30 or 75/25 wave over 3-4 hours plus a 120-130% temp basal (though her numbers have been running high today so I'll probably make that a 150%)

But I didn't know if anyone had noticed any difference in the spike or carbs GF? Also, is there anything I should know about cooking GF pasta differently? Thanks! :)

2. Caldercup

Caldercup Approved members

I use carb factors for GF pasta -- Tinkyada pastas are .33 c/g in our household. My son doesn't experience a spike, so we do it as a standard bolus for the carbs.

As for cooking the pasta, a minute either way makes all the difference. We do the Tinkyada "energy savings" instructions. Boil the water, add the pasta and cook for a minute then cover and turn off the heat. Let the pasta sit in the water for 14 minutes (stirring well and often) before testing each minute until it's at the perfect texture. We rinse GF rice pastas because they have a lot of starch on them.

3. manda81

manda81 Approved members

For us, the rice pastas are a nightmare for bg numbers, and we've never found a solution, we swapped to the corn/quinoa based pastas instead, and it's been sooo much easier. We don't extend for corn/quinoa at all.

The only cooking tips I can give you is follow the directions exactly, or you will end up with really weird noodles. *lol* They get a funky consistancy if they're over/undercooked even a bit. At least with the rice stuff. The corn/quinoa pastas seem to be a bit less tricky, but they will stick so stir them like crazy!

4. MamaLibby

We tried it tonight this way with alfredo sauce and veggies on top.

6pm: Pre-dinner BG was 140.

Bolused 40 carbs (25 pasta plus cheese sauce, veggies and milk) which ended up being 2.46 u. I did the combo bolus, but no temp basal.

4 of the 6 kids liked it...Nick thought it had a strange texture (he's my sensory child) and Linnea got more of it on herself than in her mouth so I don't know how she likes it lol.

She dropped to 59 at 8 pm :confused: but came up easily enough

She just went to bed at 180 so fingers crossed no delayed spike!

Thanks for the tips :)

5. Lee

Lee Approved members

This is why I love this place :D!

6. Paula+four

Paula+four Approved members

We don't do anything special for bolusing either. Our favorite brand is Ancient Harvest Quinoa. My family doesn't like rice pasta and I find it harder to cook. It tends to go mushy on me. With both kinds I always rinse the noodles to remove the extra starch before eating.

7. kim5798

kim5798 Approved members

We don't do the rice pastas. No one in the family really cared for the taste/texture. And forget reheating leftovers...yuck! The ancient harvest corn/quinoa is good. There is also a corn pasta at trader joes(their own brand) that was a hit with our family. Price was good too! We don't see a real spike with the corn pastas.

8. MamaLibby

Yeah, I hear you on the leftovers! I tried that today--Yuck! I think next time we'll try corn pasta, as the texture just wasn't right and we did see a delayed spike (300 at 2 am). :)

9. Mommy For Life

Mommy For Life Approved members

Have you tried shirataki noodles? I can only find them in small sizes, so it may not be the best option to feed a big family, but the carbs are so small...4-6 carbs for a full bowl of noodles. I find them at Whole Foods, but Trader Joes did sell them for a bit. Not sure if you can find them in your neck of the woods, but they are a great noodle substitute. We have also tried Miracle Noodles which is CARB FREE!! Olivia really liked them both. Check it out if you can! :)

10. kim5798

kim5798 Approved members

where did you buy miracle noodles? that sounds interesting!

11. Mommy For Life

Mommy For Life Approved members

I got them at Whole Foods, but you can buy it online too! http://www.miraclenoodle.com/ Lots of other sites sell this in bulk...do a google search. :)

12. MamaLibby

I will SO have to check this out! We love pasta. It's one of the only things all of us like, but it's been so hard on Ella's numbers we don't do it that often. Thanks for the tip :)

13. joy orz

joy orz Approved members

We eat tinkayada pasta joy noodles almost every day. Don't follow the directions on the bag. The whole energy saver thing makes them terrible. Cook them the way you'd cook regular noodles. Boil the water with a little bit of salt, add the noodles, cook on medium simmer for about 12 minutes or taste until they are done. So much better that way. I have no idea why they put the energy saver cooking instructions on there. It ruins the noodles.

My whole very picky family loves Tinkayada cooked the normal way.

Make sure you weigh the noodles dry not wet. I'm guessing the low might have been from the alfredo sauce, slow digestion?

14. Caldercup

Caldercup Approved members

Maybe it's a matter of our water then. We have hard water here and cooking it for the full 12-14 minutes makes them fall completely apart. Doing it the "energy saver" way gets the perfectly al dente.