advertisement

gluten-free diet and diabetes type 1 remission ? anyone tried this? one research about it.

Discussion in 'Nutrition and Food' started by ecure, Jul 5, 2012.

1. ecure

ecure Approved members

gluten-free diet and diabetes type ? anyone tried this?

A 5-year and 10-month old boy was diagnosed with classical type 1 diabetes mellitus (T1DM) without celiac disease. He started on a gluten-free diet after 2-3 week without need of insulin treatment. At the initiation of gluten-free diet, HbA1c was 7.8% and was stabilised at 5.8%-6.0% without insulin therapy. Fasting blood glucose was maintained at 4.0-5.0 mmol/l. At 16 months after diagnosis the fasting blood glucose was 4.1 mmol/l and after 20 months he is still without daily insulin therapy. There was no alteration in glutamic acid decarboxylase positivity. The gluten-free diet was safe and without side effects. The authors propose that the gluten-free diet has prolonged remission in this patient with T1DM and that further trials are indicated.
    source:http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22729336

We don't know if he's still in remission... Research ended after 18months.

Share with us if you tried a diet like that ..

Thanks

2. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

My daughter was gluten-free for 4 years prior to her diagnosis, so it obviously didn't work for us!

3. ecure

ecure Approved members

sure, it may not work for everyone but maybe you would have had more early diagnostic if she would have been on regular diet.
    did she continue gluten-free after diagnostic? Gluten-free diet is hard to follow . I know some specialized grocery store gluten-free are available. Did she have long period of honeymoon?
    Gluten could be everywhere even in toothpaste.

Thanks

4. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

We still eat gluten-free. She has NO desire to even try any after the stomach aches she used to get. She tested without celiac antibodies at T1D diagnosis, though.

5. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

Sounds like nothing more than a lengthy honeymoon to me.. which isn't honestly all that uncommon.

6. ecure

ecure Approved members

A lot of people would appreciate to be free of insulin 18months or extend honeymoon period. I dont know any diabetic type 1 personally free from insulin 18 months.. I heard from two kids who follow gluten-free diet -alkaline-atkin and are still free from insulin after 4 years..
    Let me know if you had an honeymoon like that..

Did you have any c-peptide test recently? momofsweetone

The best test to determine if you have any residual c-peptide function is to combine two tests..
    Oral Glucose Tolerance with c-peptide test.

I'm curious if anyone had the two tests mentionned to determine if their c-peptide was still functionnal ...if yes, share with us what were you level after the two tests combined.

7. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I went gluten free from August through December 2005, and my diabetes symptoms increased during that period.
    I was diagnosed Sept 1, 2006.

8. ecure

ecure Approved members

How do you know it was your diabetes t1 if you had your diagnostic sept 1,2006?

A lot of other health issues could produce symptoms similar to diabetes type 1.

9. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I don't know for sure, but all of the symptoms continued to worsen until I went on insulin, when they all abruptly got better. Which strikes me as good evidence that the bed wetting, weakness, headaches, light sensitivity, etc were from diabetes.

10. swellman

swellman Approved members

Yea, but if it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck and an ornithologist says "That, there is a duck." then I'm willing to bet it was a duck ... or T1D, for those that are analogically challenged.

11. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

n=1

not drawing any conclusions.

12. ecure

ecure Approved members

It's not the only ones... Other people followed a similar approach and obtained similar results .. with the documented blood tests.. c-peptide ,anti-gad.

You have nothing to lose to try at least during 2 years.. Ideally , you should try this immediately after diagnostic...
    An healthier diet is good for your diabetes stability but it will help to reduce the risks for plenty of other diseases.... It will help to improve your global health and energy..

Everyone is winner. Even a non-diabetes could gain to eat healthier.