- advertisement -

Glucose tabs vs juice or candy

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by ashtensmom, Aug 22, 2011.

1. ashtensmom

ashtensmom Approved members

We have been giving dd juice or candy for her lows; but notice a lot of you give glucose tabs instead. Is it better than juice/ candy? What reason do u use the glucose over juice? I just figure that dd likes the juice so that works for us. But I am curious if there is a reason you use glucose tabs instead.

2. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

Honestly I bought a bunch on sale when we were diagnosed last year and I like the fact that they fit in his pocket or in my purse, but my son hates the way they taste. He'd rather have skittles or a juice box. So once these are gone, not sure if I'll buy them again.

3. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

I use mostly candy (skittles, air heads, etc), however, the fastest is Dextrose which is what is in Glucose Tabs (most of them anyway - brandname Dex4). We were told and I"ve read that you should only use fruit juice if nothing else is available because it is slower (especially OJ).
    I believe candies made by Wonka contain Dextrose. After Dextrose, I believe corn syrup (which is in alot of candies as well) is the next fastest.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  4. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

Honestly I like tabs simply because it's all too easy to give that juice box I keep on hand to one of the kids when they're whiny.. and then I don't have any. They know the tabs are medicine and won't ask for them.

That said I use smarties a lot too.... they're cheap and conveniently packaged in 6g rolls :)

5. JackyH

JackyH Approved members

Oscar wouldn't touch a glucose tab if his life literally depended on it - he absolutely detests them. Juice doesn't work fast enough for us - it did at first but then it simply stopped working and it would take two fruit juices to bring him up followed by a monster spike. We now use gummy bears exclusively during the day (superstore yellow pack made with corn syrup - they are cheap, he likes them and they bring him up fast. Unfortunately I also like them a bit too much:eek: For night lows we either use a Gatorade sludge (15g of Gatorade powder with only a little water) which he sips through a straw or a blended fruit punch from superstore if it's a mild low.

6. lgouldin

lgouldin Approved members

We use smarties and airheads.....DD loves the taste;)

7. danielsmom

danielsmom Approved members

My educator prefers juice, says it will go down faster for a child in need instead of having to chew and swallow...but we have tabs too...I carry both....Daniel didn't have a problem with the orange flavor.. I've bought a few others now to have at school when I set up the stuff I need to have, but I will have both tabs and juice.

8. bnmom

bnmom Approved members

The tabs get to ds' system faster to bring up a low, and they're so wonderfully portable in their little tubes.

Bobby doesn't mind the taste, my bigger challenge is convincing his friends to stop snacking on them!

I also stock up on skittles and other candies that don't have chocolate coatings (chocolate slows things down.) If he goes low at night, the "juice" we use is Capri Sun since its faster acting for him than real juices - and its easier to get him to drink than it is to chew and swallow when he's sleepy.

9. 3kidlets

I bought a bottle for my daughter's friend because she was eating Hana's during swim meets :) She ate the entire bottle during the swim meet:eek: gross!

10. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

I save the stuff that has to be chewed for lows when he's awake. If I have to wake him to treat a low,good luck getting him to chew. I give him strawberry milk for night time lows. Works fast, keeps him up.

11. sarahconnormom

sarahconnormom Approved members

Connor HATES glucose tabs and does not drink fruit juice of any kind.

He will drink fruit punch capri suns though so we use those for lows sometimes in addition to fruit by the foot and fruit roll-ups. Skim milk works well for us also and we use gogurt sometimes at night to raise him a bit and hold him steady.
    We use butterscotch and peppermint hard candies (5g each) if he is between 80-90 and I just want to bump him up a little bit.

Connor doesn't like Skittles, Airheads, Laffy Taffy, etc. and got sick of Smarties so our candy options are limited.

12. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

How do you count airheads?

I haven't looked them up, but how do you count airheads for quick sugar?

13. 3kidlets

Depends on the size but most are about 13 or 14 grams.

14. lgouldin

lgouldin Approved members

I bought the bag of the small airheads and they were like 35 cabs for 5 bars or something like that (I just divided the carbs by the # of bars and got the each) and the larger bars have it listed on them maybe 15g. Not sure I will have to look at the bag.

15. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

Convenience. Easy to count. Quickest option. We do glucose tabs almost exclusively. I do keep gummy worms on hand for middle of the night lows when she is fighting us but as she has aged that's gotten a lot less often :)

16. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

We started out overtreating lows with a juice box, then moved to overtreating with 1/2 juice box, which was messy and inconvenient. We treat most lows with one or two 1 gram glucose tabs (I guess we could use a few Smarties instead).

17. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

All the above for us. I stock up on all of them (ds teases me that he could have a thousands lows and we'd still have a way to treat!) and let him choose. I buy smarties and skittles on clearance after halloween, those last forever. I buy glucose in large bottles and refill the smaller ones I have and stock every car with those (he's driving now). He's got a few in his room too.

Middle of the night gets choco milk here, unless he's really low then he gets glucose first.

We only rarely use juice, only because they are harder to store and harder to keep in stock, though I do have juicy juices around and when he has a lot of IOB and is dropping/not hungry he uses those.

Smarties/glucose tabs don't expire, don't take up as much room in purse and he can keep some in his pocket easily.

To answer your specific question, glucose tabs are easiest to tote around, IMO, especially compared to juice.

I have personally found that when ds is very low, especially during sports, he doesn't want to chew though, so for that I mix up gateraide in super power (dd is the watergirl for the team, so she's savvy on what to do!).

18. RacerWife7

RacerWife7 Approved members

We use drinkable yogurts for Tyler's lows! He doesn't drink juice (never has) and we can't get it into him quickly enough; especially if we need him to drink it at night when he has a low. Drinkable yogurt (D'Animals) is 15g carbs and he drinks it down in about 2 seconds.

If we're out and about, we have Smarties in his case. But, they don't work as well as yogurt.

19. MReinhardt

MReinhardt Approved members

Chell hates the orange glucose tabs, she said they taste like soap.

Right now many of stores are getting ready to put out their Halloween candy. Look for those packages for the individual boxed/wrapped candy. (two stores in our area are already putting up halloween candy & other halloween stuff)

20. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

We do glucose tabs a lot, because they're easy to stick in her purse or pocket. We can alter how much she takes. If she's slightly low we may only do 1 or 2 tabs if she's down in the 40's we can up it to 3 o 4 tabs. I can't really do that with a juice box, i'd feel it was being wasteful to only drink 1/2 or a 1/4 of the juice.

We do juice mainly at night if she's low. I just stick a straw in her mouth and tell her to suck.

There are times that she takes a glucose tab(s) and her blood sugar doesn't come up at all or even goes lower. In those cases I'll have her drink a juice box also.

We rarely have candy at our house. So obviously we don't use it very often to bring up low blood sugars.