- advertisement -

Glucose tabs or something else?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by chkpea, Feb 10, 2011.

1. CassiesMama

CassiesMama Approved members

we use juice for lows at night, or if she is really low. then for the rest of the time I get the huge bags of life savers or starbursts from wally world. after each of the holidays i have grab holiday candy on clearance as well.

2. CaitlynGrisham

CaitlynGrisham Approved members

I, for the most part, treat with a small apple juice box (16 carbs) or some tabs. However, I have used those little three packs of peanut butter crackers made by the Austin brand. I love those :) a pack has 20 carbs and they have peanut butter in them as a protein source which is the perfect carb/protein mix.

I've also been known to use a few small caramel chews. I adore caramel and my mom does too, so they are almost always in the house in one of our cabinets. Three of them have 15 carbs, according to the label.

3. miss_behave

miss_behave Approved members

Just FYI, the people mentioning using Smarties for lows are in the US, where Smarties are what you guys call rockets.
    In Canada (and Aust where I live) Smarties are coloured candy-coated chocolates. Just thought I'd point that out to avoid confusion :cwds:

4. Gracie'sMom

Gracie'sMom Approved members

I think it's great that this made his D kind of cool . . .

5. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

We usually use tabs. On rare occasions, juice. For some reason, my son loves the tabs. Yuck.

We used to give him juice for overnight lows, but found that didn't sit with him well overnight (as in, he would puke, sorry, TMI).

6. mom2two

mom2two Approved members

We use glucose tabs, ds won't drink juice.

7. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Smarties over here are like M&Ms, except they come in a carton box i/o plastic bag.

8. shekov

shekov Approved members

This is what we do if she's 70 or lower or feels like she's dropping fast. Otherwise we do a healthyish snack and cover with reduced insulin.

We have been trying to keep treatment seperate from treats for her since she's a candy hound.

9. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Glucobits, smarties, skittles, ice cream (if not too low), those are the current favorites.

10. Snowbound

Snowbound Approved members

Mostly juice and sometimes the tabs. We get the little Oasis juice boxes from the Independant grocer with 13 carbs. They're suprisingly sturdy, he keeps one in his jacket pocket while skiing and we haven't had one break yet.

11. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

most of the time Ashleigh uses glucose tabs. We do juice if she's low at night though.

12. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Glucose is our last resort, she is going through a "I can't even stand to look at them phase!" We like to use Honest Kids juice pouches first as they are 10g and take care of mild-moderate lows. For a bit more punch we'll use the snack sized skittles, and severe we'll generally use a 14g juice or a pack of fruit chews. She also likes the glucose gel, but those are just too darn expensive!

When skiing I have her carry a tube of glucose tabs on her.

13. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Same here. They're yummy.

I sometimes use juice, but only for mild lows since it takes quite a while to raise my BG (fructose needs to be broken down into glucose, which takes valuable time). I use glucose tabs, skittles or starbursts for low lows.

14. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

Low? What's a low? lol

We usually "save" tabs for when we're out and about, because it's easy to carry. At home he'll have a piece of bread, milk, juice, crackers, etc. Basically, whatever he feels like eating at the moment. But he rarely has lows except once in a while right before a meal.

15. wilf

wilf Approved members

we use apples, or juice if we're in a hurry..

16. Trev

Trev Approved members

Tabs, juice, but boy I love the Jelly Beans, they are 1 gm each, and way tastier. Cheers!

17. BrokenPancreas

BrokenPancreas Banned

L has a stash of starburts in her fanny pack at all times.

Middle of the night, mountain dew, she wont drink juice if she's low.

18. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

if out and no juice available, Under 65, 0 basal for an hour(unless it drops lower), Under 40, 1 glucose tab, . Under 30, 2 tabs.
    Over 65 and under 100 I'm happy with, but I don't treat with insulin until over 150

19. chbarnes

chbarnes Approved members

Fruit snacks or skittles. The skittles are easy to dose because they are about 1 gram each. I think there has been a head-to-head trial that found skittles as effective as glucose tabs at a fraction of the price. We also use juice, regular soda and other treats. Chris can suddenly become very picky when he is low.
    However, his Mom makes sure he always has gucotabs and keeps a little case filled with them on his meter case. Chris swears he never uses them, but strangely they disappear. Turns out he gives them to his friends.

20. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

I use glucose tabs or smarties (the rolls of the tiny ones)
    I have to be careful as I cannot have anything with corn or ingredients made with corn, so it has to be straight glucose for me. Sure limits the variety.