- advertisement -

Glucose tabs or something else?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by chkpea, Feb 10, 2011.

1. chkpea

chkpea Approved members

we use glucose tabs when the low is under 4 (72). Is this what most people do or do you use something else that is equally effective in bringing up a low. We use juice if it isn't too low. Someone recently told me that they use rockets instead of glucose tabs...

2. Teacups

Teacups Approved members

My ds loves tabs. He loves trying the flavors, etc. I, on the other hand, would much prefer to find an alternative. Lately I've been encouraging o.j. or grapes, anything that seems healthier that would be effective to use when we're at home. Can't find anything else as portable and effective as tabs for when we're out.

As of yet, we haven't found the perfect thing, so will be watching this thread for some good ideas!

3. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

we find tabs the quickest and easiest. Anything "candy" would just inevitably get eaten (I tried carrying smarties around for a while but since that's one of the only candies I like you can imagine what happened to those....)

At night we use juice.

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Tabs and juice only for us. We decided early on that we didn't want to have an overlap between "treats" and "treatments" for lows. But when she was little our dd would have been forever "low" if we used candy:p ;) Every kid is different.:cwds:

5. swimmom

swimmom Approved members

Juice, Life Savers, Peppermints, Skittles....

6. mom2ejca

mom2ejca Approved members

We use a variety at home; smartees, tabs, fruit snacks, chocolate milk, juice, yogurt drinks.

Smartees, tabs and fruit snacks when we're away from home.

7. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

Smarties---one pack is 6 carbs. Also, we've been getting the mini meranges at the grocery store and they are nice too!

8. PatriciaMidwest

PatriciaMidwest Approved members

Usually juice or Smarties. It could change again in a few months.

9. swellman

swellman Approved members

We used to be "juice people" but we have seen that tabs have the best, predictable response. We only use juice in an emergency and then only after tabs.

10. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

It depends on the low. I find tabs & juice are the quickest & most reliable & predictable.

11. bnmom

bnmom Approved members

ds' pockets, backpack and my purse are the place to go if you want some candy - mini reese's cups and skittles usually.

In all that sucks with D, treating lows with candy seemed a good way to let the boy indulge in his favs without having to take a shot first.

And his friends still, months later, are lightheartedly teasing him with comments like 'so Bobby....you have a disease that REQUIRES you eat candy...and your mom INSISTS you always have candy in your pocket' :p

The first time I heard them saying such things and asking how they could convince their moms that they were diabetic too...and saw the big grin on my son's face in response - sealed the deal. Candy is the treatment at school and all social functions.

At home or on the road: glucose tabs, granola bars and juice boxes.

12. ShelbysMom

ShelbysMom Approved members

Glucose tabs and red version of Sunny D......works really fast. For us the sunny d works faster than fruit juice.....but not as good for you I'm sure.....although I think it does have vit c.

13. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

For the most lows my son uses glucose tablets. At night while he is sleeping, I will give him a juicebox...or if he is 40 or below, I prefer he has juice, because he can suck down 4oz juicebox much faster than chew 4 glucose tabs.

14. Marcia

Marcia Approved members

Glucose tabs for mild lows, apple juice if dropping fast. Ab also likes the glucoshots liquid because they are small and easy to chug down during a concert. Candy is for fun.

15. JeremysDad

JeremysDad Approved members

Both Sam's Club and Costco have those little fruit snacks packets in boxes of 72. We usually use those because they are easy to stash. In a car, a drawer, pockets, backpacks etc. Each packet is 19G of carbs and they bring up lows nicely (at least for us)

The problem is, both my wife and other son also like them (as do I) so it can be hard to keep around. Since I have stashes of these little packets in so many places, it's inevitable that we'll find some somewhere in the house.

Something else we used to do. WallMart sells gigantic bags of Skittles which are absolutely loaded with sugar. Terrible for our kids but great for a quick BG boost. I use old pill containers and fill them up. I believe that 17 Skittles equals 15G of carbs.

16. caspi

caspi Approved members

Great idea! Thanks for sharing! :)

17. thebestnest5

thebestnest5 Approved members

Your kid may vary.:cwds: For my kid's personality-she likes change, definitely not the same treatment repeatedly.

We use whatever she likes and will take quickly during a low. She likes juice boxes because of the straw. She likes glucose gels, frosting gels, and glucoshots, because they are "fast". We do candy, too.

We don't use glucotabs, because she vomitted glucotabs after a severe playground accident while enroute to the ER. She has refused glucotabs ever since. Even the thought of them make her wince and feel sick, because of that incident. :(

18. Lee

Lee Approved members

Coco hates glucose tabs with a passion, so we use skittles, smarties, fruit chews, apple juice - anything high in carbs with no fat.

Pretzels are the #1 BS raiser for her!

Tonight though she had a mild low so she had an apple with peanut butter - enough to bring her up and keep her there.

19. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

Brilliant! I may have to steal this idea.:D

20. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

I've gotten to a point where, all of a sudden, juice just isn't very effective for me. First, the capri-suns stopped bringing me up, so I switched to apple juice, and now they won't bring me up fast enough. Skittles can be hard to chew with all of the stickiness, same with Starburst, also Skittles work pretty well most of the time. I've found that the most effective thing (unfortunately) is anything in the diabetes section labeled "glucose." I say unfortunately because it's more expensive. I can buy 8 juices for the price of one of those glucodrinks or glucogel. Lately I've been carrying around a tube of tabs (fruit punch!), a glucogel (also FP), and one of those glucodrinks. I got the mixed berry, any reviews? I won't try the lemon-lime; I had a bad experience with l-l airborne...never again! ;) :p

Also, I discovered this when I was sick once, and not eating: Hawaiian punch mixed with Sprite is FAST and TASTY! Unfortunately, the Sprite would probably go flat before I could use it up, and I WANT to drink it too much. In fact, sometimes I crave it :eek:.