- advertisement -

Glucose Tablets vs. Plain old Candy

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by allisa, May 21, 2006.

1. allisa

allisa Approved members

I always have skittles or marshmallow peeps in the car, at school, in my son's backpack, or in my pocketbook....just in case we need a quick sugar fix.

But I was wondering about the glocuse tablets....does anyone use those ? Is there in differnce or advantage to them ? Therre was another thread on this forum about a keychainn/holder for Glucose Tablets wich actually looked pretty cool and it made me wonder about glucose tabs vs. good old candy.

Ty's docs never really pushed the tabs...told us to always keep sqeezabel frosting on hand for extreme emergency ( unable to swallow ) and any candies that Ty liked.....another mom told me she tried to use tabs vs. candy because she didn't want her daughter to let herslelf become low in ORDER to get candy....

Any thoughts on either method ?

Allisa

2. nantomsuethom

nantomsuethom Approved members

Thomas always has glucose tabs on him. We also have them just about EVERYWHERE (car, house, to go bag, school etc.). Glucose tabs are just about like candy, big sweet tarts, that are 4-5 carbs a piece. We bought a couple tubes that hold 10 tabs. and buy the bigger bottles (50 tabs) to refill the tubes. The tubes are less than $2 and the bottles are less than $5 at Walmart.

3. Ben'sMommy

Ben'sMommy Approved members

Ben is only 2 so we still use OJ. He's never away from me so it's not an issue.
    As he grows up though I don't think I will give him candy when he is low because I don't want him to associate candy with feeling better. It could become a very bad habit.
    He uses a pump and so is allowed some treats every now and then but not for treating lows.

I will use the OJ to treat hypos for as long as it works and then the glucose tabs when he gets bigger.

4. zimbie45

zimbie45 Approved members

HI
    In the past we always have made sure we have had a juice box on hand in her backpack of stuff... WE have never used "candy" as a quick fix.. I too dont want her to relate feeling good with "candy"... Recently We tried the tablets and love them.... They are soo convenient and easy.. Charlize loves them.. SHe calls the her triplets.... ??? ( i think cause i will give 3 for a low) ... But these are soo easy to keep every where.. purse, backpack, car. what ever.. Our endo's office also never pushed these they just said candy does the same thing but again i didnt wnt her to acciciate it w/ good things.. At home we use milk as a quick fix.. sicne it is good for you, and has both carbs and proteins.. works well for us... She is on the pump and we do allow her to have treats like any other kid....

5. dawnegge

dawnegge Approved members

We have always used the 4oz boxes of juicy juice (15 carbs) but also use the glucose tablets. What I like about the tablets is if were out and her sugar is say 70 then I'll just give her 1 or 2 tablets (4-8 carbs). But if she's low in the middle of the night I'll just give her a 4oz juice cause she can drink those in her sleep. If you do want to try the glucose tablets I suggest getting them at WalMart because they're alot cheaper there!

6. selketine

selketine Approved members

I usually use glucose tabs because it is easy to get the carb count and William likes them well enough. Juice is always too much - we rarely need 15 carbs to correct a low. I sometimes give candy to correct a low but usually as part of a snack/treat he was having anyway.

When William was younger though (like 2 yrs old) the tabs didn't work - too much of a choking hazard. Then we used juice if we were home but trying to give only a few carbs was hard. Drink yogurt worked really well for him too. When they are very young part of it is getting something they like and something they won't choke on ;)

I would also caution about using cake gel if someone cannot swallow. This could cause choking - giving glucagon is a safer course of action and can't hurt them.

7. hold48398

hold48398 Approved members

If Mia is really low (<60), we use the small 15 gr juice boxes. Sometimes, I take a sip so she only gets 10 or 12 gr or so. Seems to be just right and she looooves the juice since that is not something she usually gets. If she is low at night, I will give her 5 gr juice followed by 5-10 gr of 2% milk a few minutes later. This will carry her through the night. If she is just a little low, I just do a few grams of milk.

My doc also recommends carrying a small tube of frosting with us, in addition to the glucagon. We do have the glucose tabs but havent tried them yet. We have been lucky not to have to use the glucagon so far (knock on wood!). By the way, our doc told us that the glucagon takes about 10 minutes to work, so if the child still has any tongue movement and can still swallow, it might be better to squeeze a little gel into the inner cheek as this works immediately. Either way, it is good to have a variety of quick sugar on hand.

8. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We use tabs because we don't want Abby to relate candy with feeling low. We also never really gave candy to our kids except for on special occasions, so we felt it wasn't fair to her sister if Abby got candy for being low and she didn't get anything at all. We have recently found that Abby REALLY likes the glucose tabs (they are like a giant Sweetart), and somedays, when I take her bg, she says "am I low? Can I have glucose?" So, we are in the boat we don't want to be in, relating something with being low. So, we try and switch off. If she's low at home we use juice. If she's low on the road, we use glucose. I found that by mixing it up, she has stopped asking for glucose everytime.

9. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

We used juice initially to treat lows. Then when our son went on the pump at age 7, he used glucose tabs for a couple of years. Then he HATED them and started to call them garbage tabs and said he'd rather have an IV than eat those - didn't touch them for at least 9 years. Last summer at the CWD Friends for Life conference, he rediscovered glucose tabs and said they work much faster than the individually wrapped Life-Savers he used for years. So we're back to glucose tabs for now. I like to give a CHOICE.

10. T_Adelaide

T_Adelaide Approved members

We use lollies, glucose tablets or lemonade. Glucose tablets tend to work a bit faster I find.

11. mischloss

mischloss Approved members

Just had to do this yesterday, while out at Six Flags at GA! We were at the Sugar Show for JDRF and we didn't really bring a snack for Michael, but we always have the Raspberry flavored glucose tabs in little plastic baggies on hand! Well, they didn't get to handing out the sandwiches yet and he felt "low", we tested and he was like 75, so he popped a tablet and sucked on it until the food came! :)

The thing I like about the tablets, is that they tolerate a lot of summer heat and don't get sticky or melt in your car. And they don't require them to be keep in a cooler as with juice boxes. My son, doesn't really care for a warm juice box in the middle of an amusement park. Yuck!!

We haven't kept icing on hand though again, maybe because of the mess. But we do have a glucogon at home and at his school. Knock on wood, never had to use it. He is old enough where is can really tell when a low is coming on and will immediately let someone know. He also carried the tablets in a small plastic baggie in his shorts at all times.

12. Hollyb

Hollyb Approved members

We use both. Aaron is older and has a long history with candy already, and he knows he doesn't need to induce a low to have a bit. He often uses wrapped, easy to chew candy like caramels or Starburst (as well as fruit to go) to forestall possible lows during athletics or walks/biking trips with his friends. Tends to save the glucose tabs for when he's actually already low.

The first glucose tabs we got were big square tablets packed in celluloid and foil, and they were useless. The packaging disintegrates in a boy's pocket in about two days, and the whole point is for them to be something he can have right on his person. Then we found the tabs in the round plastic tube -- much better. He basically has a roll in his pocket at all times.

13. EmmasMom

EmmasMom Approved members

We don't use the glucose tablets for Emma yet because she can't really chew them. We keep small tubes of cake gel in her diaper bag and kit for bad lows, (but those are not very common these days :) )!! I usually catch her around 60-70 and just giver her milk or juice. I also keep glucagon in her diaper bag, I hope we never have to use it!!!!!

The glucose tablets do work faster than other sugars, so eventually we will probably use them instead.

14. fulljef

fulljef Approved members

Gluclose Tablets

The only contributing factor to us always using the gluclose tabs is they raise the blood sugar much much faster! Our son does not always feel his lows until the 40~50 range and sometimes lower so the tablets get him up in 5 ~ 10 minutes and we can go on. We even have a bike pouch on his bike and have a tube of 10 in it along with a meter. We live in the country and he loves to ride his bike... when he was first diagnosed he could not ride a full block without getting low so they always got him up so we could get home.

They don't melt and are EVERY WHERE!!! Grandma's house, her cars our car's the School and in each teachers class room. They are the best thing ever as you all know lows can come on any time any place and there are always tablets there to pick him up.

PS Adam says the Orange taste like chalk so stay away from them... The nice thing is that over the last 5 years there are many more flavors so we rotate so he does not get burned out. Adam was dxd @ 7 now @ 13 he just slams 3 in his mouth and chews away:D