- advertisement -

Glucose Quick Sticks

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by SFGingerBeerSoda, Jan 21, 2014.

1. SFGingerBeerSoda

SFGingerBeerSoda Approved members

My Dd just discovered Quick Sticks sour apple at a recent camp. I was told I could get them at Walgreens, Walmart or online. I haven't had any luck with all 3 and the website doesn't appear to be working. Does anyone know if this company has gone out of business?

Thanks for your help :)

2. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I haven't seen them in a while at Walmart. My daughter liked them at first, but then after using them once or twice hated them. She said it felt like she was choking down an entire package of pixie sticks all at once!

3. AliciaM

AliciaM Approved members

I don't mind them if I have nothing else with me and can't grab a snack but if you're low and you're a bit shaky and trying to open the darn thing it goes everywhere. This happened to me at work because I ignored my low so went ever lower and was trying to open it and I was shaking so bad that it went everywhere ..looked really bad with this white ish powder all over my desk lol

4. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

i think they might have. I can't find them anywhere either (in store or online).

5. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

According to their facebook page, they're changing the name & packaging. I bought the last of my local Walgreens' supply off the clearance shelf. They said it's a discontinued product. Our Walmarts say the same.

6. SFGingerBeerSoda

Thanks everyone :) I was able to get the last 2 boxes from a Walmart online. Not sure how long she'll like them but when it comes to Diabetes it's always nice to find something different.
    I also emailed the company after seeing the address on the side of the container. If I get a response I'll post it.
    Thanks again!

7. akidmtco

akidmtco New Member

My daughter loves quicksticks and skittles but the skittles are a pain for treating late night lows. And she's starting to hate juice boxes at night.
    We've been on the same mad hunt for them in colorado. We bought out the stock at a walgreens and ordered from a local walmart for pickup.
    Hopefully you hear back from them!

8. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

I just bought my first box of the sour apple when I found them on clearance at Walmart. We haven't tried any here yet. Maybe there are being discontinued?

9. SFGingerBeerSoda

Never received a reply to my email. The business phone number is now disconnected. Not looking good for Quick Sticks I'm afraid.

10. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

We haven't tried these yet but plan to. The price per box is about the same as Quick Sticks, but you only get half as many pouches.

Elovate

11. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

My daughter's current favorite for treating lows are Skittles. And I deserve a Skittle or two myself for being such a good mom and making sure she's OK, right? Why are Skittles a pain for treating late night lows? Is this something I should avoid doing? I'll really miss tasting the rainbow.:(

12. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

They are great, unless one cares about not rotting out their kids teeth... not to mention that they require chewing, and swallowing... unless one is unconcerned about choking, then they are fab.

13. rgcainmd

I just manage to get under your skin a whole lot, don't I Sarah? You're absolutely right, I don't care about rotting out my kid's teeth, nor do I make sure that she is awake and able to chew and swallow. I'm a "Class A" unconcerned Mom! :wink:

14. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

It's not about you.

You asked why skittles were a suboptimal choice for treating lows at night and I responded. They have to be chewed and swallowed, they are sticky and cling to teeth, hence my reply.

Again, it's nothing to do with you. But I think that going forward I'll refrain from responding to your questions just to prevent this sort of thing from happening. :wink:

15. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I think when most people are talking about late night lows we are talking about after they have gone to bed and are asleep, so it comes into question whether you brush afterwards ? Or are your kids teeth sealed?

Or simple are you Truely disturbing their sleep by having them have to be fully awake to take in carbs?

I know when I had my dd was very young I just had to brush her lip with "something" and she would open up and take it in without really waking her, so I was much less concerned with disturbing her sleep.

But not having a kiddo that is older and not used to me taking her little Hand out in front where she had placed it, to out in the cold of the night, so that I may poke it and draw blood: is very eye opening.

I find that my second dd has to be significantly more awake to test, I can only imagine that she might need to be more fully awake to treat a low BG.

16. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Since your dd's visible teeth are most likely her adult teeth! then yes! you should be concerned with BG treatments that are after your child has brushed their teeth, less thou if they have been sealed, but it is still a concern.

17. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I definitely wouldn't use Skittles as a treatment when the child is sleeping. Reasons: they require a bit of effort to chew, so I'd be concerned with choking, they cling to the teeth, so unless you're going to brush their teeth after, or get them to swish water around their mouth, I'd be ready for cavities until teeth are all sealed. I prefer juice via straw or glucose gel since either tend to not hit the teeth as much.

18. rgcainmd

mmgirls and Beach Bum AND Sarah, thank you. Sarah, I think it's easy (understatement!) for me to feel like it's directed at me when I see a "Reply with Quote" and I'm the one who is being quoted. I need to step back and look at it as just a general reply, and not one that is directed personally at me. Sarah, reply to my posts when you want, please. I'll get over it. I've learned a lot from you (all of you!) and I don't want to miss that.

19. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

Mines burnt out on glucotabs for lows during the day. She tried skittles but she says it's too much effort and went back to tabs. Juice is easier at night.