- advertisement -

Glucose levels after changing site

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Joseph, Apr 6, 2015.

1. Joseph

Joseph Approved members

I have a question about the glucose levels after changing sites. We've been on the pump for nearly three years and we usually reduced his boluses after the change in about 70%, now we're doing 80% and it doesn't seem to be working because he stays on 200s for a while.

Have you ever experienced anything similar? Is his skin getting used to insulin?
    Thank you in advance for any hint. I am afraid to try the whole dose and see him drop too low.

2. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

I have never heard of this. I often hear of people who have poor absorption when a site is first inserted and UP the basal for a few hours. We change every 48 hours and don't make any changes to basal. I think it's only logical to try 90% for a few changes and see what happens. Do it in the afternoon so you don't have to check all night.

3. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

Our absorption used to be great with a new set, and would work really well as you found. Sometimes we still hit a sweet spot. Not so often now and things just continue as normal.

4. wearingtaci

wearingtaci Approved members

We used to have problem!s with highs after inserting a new site. We found the leaving the old site in for a couple hours helped.

5. Joseph

Joseph Approved members

Good suggestion, thanks. We'll try next time

6. bamaboyd82

bamaboyd82 Approved members

Our experience is like the OP's, a brand new site usually works so much effectively than it does even 6 or so hours later. If we don't reduce basal/leave some carbs uncovered, he will go low. However, sometimes it just doesn't go like that and my guess is that in those cases, we are in a scar-ish spot. Maybe your child just has more scar tissue now that he has used the pump for a few years?