advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Glucagon training kit

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by GAmom, Aug 31, 2009.

1. GAmom

GAmom Approved members

Lilly has glucagon training kit (frizzyfrazzy posted about this)
    I'm getting it to train all the people who want to be trained in my dd's life:)

Here's the number 1-800-545-5979, there's few prompts and tell them you'd like one, and why.

2. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

it's very cool. It's a fake syringe, with fake powder and you can fake mix it. and then do a fake shot. LOL. Ours came with a DVD. I am bringing one to our school nurse for her to show the teachers.

3. Rcj176

Rcj176 Approved members

How much is it?

4. frizzyrazzy

the extremely expensive amount of ZILCH.

it's free. :)

5. kim5798

kim5798 Approved members

we always use our expired ones for training/practice.

kim

6. frizzyrazzy

I agree, we do too, but you can really only train on them once. This is a reusable device. :)

7. Mistync991

Mistync991 Approved members

so do you get extra powder

8. RosemaryCinNJ

RosemaryCinNJ Approved members

what a great post... thank you girls for the info!!

9. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

Sweet! Thanks for sharing! We use the expired ones too, but we only have one left now and no more due to expire for a while.

10. frizzyrazzy

here's what it looks like - the vial is empty, no powder and no liquid in the syringe, but you simulate sticking th very large needle into the vial and then when you pull back on the syringe it looks like it's filling up. The needle collapses so you can pretend to actually give the shot. so it's nice to be able to go through the motions over and over, getting a feel for exactly how large everything is.

(the kit - it's white, not red)

[​IMG]

(Packaged up just like real glucagon)
    [​IMG]

The pieces - in real life size.
    [​IMG]

The practice needle just collapses. (Ian freaked for a moment when I came at him with this LOL)
    [​IMG]

11. aidensmom

aidensmom Approved members

We picked up one of these at FFL and I think it's a great idea. I thought I'd call and try to get an extra one to give to DS's preschool, but when I called the # they said you have to be an RN to get one :( Don't they think parents should practice too??!! The representative told me that the school nurse can call and request one. Anyone else have this trouble?

12. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

I got 3 at FFL. One for me, one for the elementary nurse, one for the middle school nurse.

The middle school nurse was very appreciative.

13. Michelle (IL)

Michelle (IL) Approved members

I called and also got the reply of you must be a Dr. or RN to get one :( If anyone knows a way around this it would be much appreciated. We don't have a school nurse and I train the school personnel about my sons D care. This would be so helpful !

14. frizzyrazzy

how about calling your cde and telling her how many you need and having her call?

15. mommyx4

mommyx4 Approved members

Maybe they changed it now? I just called a minute ago and when I asked about the kit she asked if I was a nurse. I said no, that I was a parent of a Type 1 Diabetic so she said she had to put me on hold to check something. When she came back, she said she can go ahead and send the kit out and it will be here in 7-10 business days. So maybe those who didn't get it could try again?

Thanks for posting this! This is definitely useful!

16. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

Hey thanks for the photos.

I see they changed (improved) this kit.

I Practice kits have one that is not real glucagon, but is some poswer that mixes with a clear liquid. It also hase a real needle and it some with a small (3 inch diameter) cirular pillow that you inject the practice medium into.

It is great practice to mix, draw up and inject, but you can only use it once in its entirety. I usually take along expired kits as well.

I like this and will order some for school.

17. GAmom

GAmom Approved members

Yes, this how they responded when I called. First, the person said I needed to be a health profressional but he would check. I told them I was the mother of a type1 diabetic and was put on hold while they got an ok to send me one. After all they are fake! not real glucagon.

18. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

Ditto. I just called abd was told the same thing.

For those of you who don't know, I am quite persistent ;). I asked for this kit in several distrinct ways and also told the RN I was transferred to that I KNEW that the company had already sent the kit out to several non-RNs.

Still no go. I will call CDE. But man this ticks me off.

Oh Yeah, the first person I spoke to said "This is the sixth call we've had today. I don't know who's spreading the word..." (As if that's a bad thing.)

19. Mikker

Mikker Approved members

Just called and they told me that due to the limited supply, my care physician would need to request one through their supply rep., or our school nurse can call in, but only 1 can be sent to each nurse, regardless of how many schools she attends to.

20. lisamustac

lisamustac Approved members

Just called and ordered one. No questions asked! Should be here in 7-10 days. Thanks for the info.