- advertisement -

Glucagon Re-design

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by ShanaB, May 15, 2010.

1. ShanaB

ShanaB Approved members

Someone posted a couple months ago about a college student (I believe) who won a science project of sorts for re-designing Glucagon -- making it an all in one vs a mix. I have searched high and low for that post, can anyone find it?

Has anyone ever tried to get the drug companies to change the design? Google has not been my friend on this one. Just curious if anyone knows of anything that has been done...

*here is the post, the article is no longer there but at least I found the reference
    http://forums.childrenwithdiabetes.com/showthread.php?t=52301&highlight=glucagon

Last edited: May 15, 2010
  2. RosemaryCinNJ

RosemaryCinNJ Approved members

Havent heard or seen...will keep an eye out for it..I hope the new design is a small thin needle..unlike the one it comes with now..(I never used that syringe..always used a reg smaller insulin needle)..

3. Denise

Denise Approved members

I spoke w/ a Lily rep at an expo and she told me that it would be too costly do design the Glucagon to be like the Epipen... :confused:

4. ShanaB

ShanaB Approved members

I feel another advocacy campaign is going to invade me...

We will never get glucagon into schools (in Ontario) if we don't get it re-designed. Actually, I should re-phrase, it will be very hard...

When I met with one of the most influential Endos in Canada on the school issue he suggested adding Lilly to list on glucagon and I dismissed it somewhat because it wasn't my focus, now I'm wondering if it wouldn't be worth a shot.

Anyone with me?

5. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Maybe you can start by finding out all about the legal issues about schools administering Glucagon.
    Is it because of wrong dosage? Because of the needle? Because only "trained professional" can mix it?

I'd think that a good compromise would be for the Glucagon manufacturers to come up with:
    1) an age-appropriate Glucagon kit, so no "dosing calculation" would be necessary
    2) a retractable needle, reducing the actual exposure to the needle
    3) company reps who would actually go to the schools to train personnel

(I can dream, right?;))

I couldn't find the post you are looking for either.

6. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

7. mathcat

mathcat Approved members

8. PatriciaMidwest

PatriciaMidwest Approved members

I remember seeing that post too. I would love to see it redesigned. I really don't know if it will happen though - it takes a ton of money to go through the FDA approval process and drug companies are very particular about what they submit for that reason (they want to be sure it is a good investment for them). I just don't know if they would see Glucagon as a large enough profit maker. Sad to say, but that is how they think. I hope someone does back it, our kids really need it!!

9. ashley_lynden

ashley_lynden Approved members

I thought that there was a reason behind the needle being larger. Something to do with it goes deeper and therfore your body absorbs it faster. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure a nurse has told us that. I would be afraid not to use the syringe it came with. I mean, they designed it that way for a reason.

10. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

11. mickey's mom

mickey's mom Approved members

I think the reason that Glucagon needs to be mixed is that it isn't stable like the Medicine in an Epi-Pen. After it has been mixed, it needs to be used or discarded.

12. Alba37

Alba37 Approved members

I think they may already have pre-mixed glucagon as it was used in a recent trial. I read about it about a month ago but can't find the orgional article I read. This one gives the background too though - http://www.sciencenews.org/view/generic/id/58303/title/Insulin_pump_and_computer_mated_to_regulate_blood_sugar

I read that as a pre-mixed version of glucagon is not FDA approved, getting it approved will hold up release of this system. It said it could take 4 years to get pre-mixed glucagon approved for use.

13. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

I signed up a few months ago for news alerts from the website in Ellen's link above. This is a reprint from an May 2009 article on their news & press page:

Were Enject to partner with the likes of Lilly or Novo, which
    each market a recombinant glucagon, the partner?s approved
    molecule would likely be incorporated into GlucaPen, and the
    resulting product would be considered a line extension that
    could get to market as early as fall 2010, according to Green.

The alternative would involve licensing non-exclusive rights
    to use a synthetic glucagon manufactured by Bachem AG,
    which would require submission of an NDA under section
    505(b)(2) of the Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act and would push
    launch out a year. Bachem?s product, which Rylander said is the only API
    manufactured to cGMP standards, is approved in Japan.

http://enject.com/uploads/Enject_article_BioCentury.pdf

I have not yet received any email updates from the site.

14. Daniel Green

Daniel Green Approved members

Last edited: Jul 29, 2010
  15. AlisonKS

AlisonKS Approved members

that looks so cool, especially since big red is so scary looking.

16. Daniel Green

Daniel Green Approved members