- advertisement -

glucagon question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Abuchanan, Jan 12, 2008.

1. Abuchanan

Abuchanan Approved members

Got a question....Makaelas glucagon injections expired last month. My question is are they no good now? Or do they just put an expiration date on them because they have to have a date on them. I have three that I am going to have to throw out.

Also, we just hit our one year on Makaela on 1/8. I cant believe its already been a year......I cant believe we survived it without any mental break downs lol....I can remember one year ago I thought my world came to an end.

2. My_Dana

My_Dana Approved members

Glucagon kits

Hi -

We just had ours kit expire as well.
    But we got an Rx for 2 more. The insurance usually only approves one, though.

Given the way insulin loses potency at 28+ days, I would not recommend
    using anything like the Glucagon kit if expired. They may not have the same affect. Just my guess.

3. golfermom

golfermom Approved members

I would keep the glucagon until you get a prescription for new ones. I always give my expired glucagons to the school nurse to demonstrate and to teach other staff personnel how to draw up and administer.

Our insurance covers two glucagon kits. You might try having your endo write for "one kit for home and one kit for school."

Hope this helps.

4. jendean

jendean Approved members

If anyone has expired glucagon please PM me, because I would like them, I am teaching a class for babysitters who will be dealing with kids with Diabetes. I am pretty set for inhalers, but old glucagons are hard to come by for some reason.
    :cwds:

5. Momof4gr8kids

Momof4gr8kids Approved members

We use ours to train our babysitters, and school staff, so that is probably why there are not a whole lot coming in. Other people probably do the same.

I'd suggest talking to your local CDE, or endo office and see if they have any leads. Maybe they could get a collection going for you.

6. AusKaren

AusKaren Approved members

I would get a new one prescribed - I reckon the old one would work with maybe a lesser effect?!
    But to be on the safe side - I would go with a newie!

7. skimom

skimom Approved members

An endo at the Alberta C hildren's hospital in Calgary Canada is doing a study regarding "expired glucagon" I was told that the concern was the liquid might run the risk of being contaminated not the glucagon itself .From what I was told, the glucagon should be ok for a while after expiry - and quite frankly, if that is all I have available, I will use it.

8. WestinsMom

WestinsMom Approved members

I would be interested in what they decide. I tend to keep my old ones to use for sick day use. They have always worked fine for me. just for mini glucagon shots. I like to save the new ones for it the "big one" happens.

9. tjirvin314

tjirvin314 Approved members

I wondered this too,

I just recently noticed (in the middle of a vommiting episode where she was running extrememly low and couldnt keep anything down) that Madis glucagon expired and asked my hubby (who is a Pharmacist) if it would be ok in an emergency and he actually said NO, he would call 911 first and not give her the expired glucagon because it is a protein and can break down over time and not only be less effective but have harmful effects. That being said, I WOULD NOT RECCOMEND USING EXPIRED GLUCAGON, even in an emergency!
    Do keep it and writed expired on it in permanent marker (so as not to accidentaly use it) and use it to train the babysitter, school nurse, grandma etc. Or donate it to your diabetic educator for training purposes.

10. skimom

skimom Approved members

Thanks for the info!