- advertisement -

Glucagon part of care plan...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by momofone, May 27, 2013.

1. momofone

momofone Approved members

We live in Canada in a province where the majority of type 1 students are given very little, if any, support. There are some districts that have private agreements in place pertaining to pump operation and glucagon administration. We are in a district who refuses to do this. I'm so hot under the collar about this, I feel like pulling him out of school but I don't know if I'm overreacting. Would you feel comfortable having your child at school knowing that there was no one there trained in how to administer glucagon? The district apparently thinks its totally fine to leave them seizing or unconscious until paramedics arrive, which could be anywhere from 15-40 minutes.

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

We've had glucagon orders and we've had years when we didn't. It was a function of 1. her not having a history of seizures, 2. being very good as feeling her lows, 3. state law that previously, it have since been changed, allowing only RNs to administer, and our CDEs suggestion that if she's going to need glucagon, it's most likely going to be not during school hours.

I put up this poll a while ago. I found it informative.

http://forums.childrenwithdiabetes.com/showthread.php?t=70786

3. swimmom

swimmom Approved members

I agree with Sarah. We've never needed it and I wouldn't go to war with the school over it. If your child has a history of seizures, etc,. then that's a different story.

4. Helenmomofsporty13yearold

Helenmomofsporty13yearold Approved members

It is really frustrating and heartbreaking that our teachers don't care enough to learn to give a shot of glucagon, but it is our reality. The chances of needing glucagon during the school hours are probably quite slim or our teachers would not have gotten away with their stance for so long. You may have more luck with an Educational Assistant in your school willing to learn. Another option is to have something around that can be rubbed into the gums...they may be more willing to do that. Their classmates can be helpful at pointing out the symptoms of lows if they are taught what to look for.

Unless your son is seizure-prone or totally hypo-unaware, he should be fine, especially since he is CGMSing. The overnight trips in grade 7 and 8 may be more of a problem. You may want to attend those.

DD's elementary school at diagnosis was full of the union heads and we had zero support, so I totally understand how you feel.

5. shannong

shannong Approved members

I was very upset when I learned that schools would not administer glucagon. I know there has been some advocacy groups who have tried (and are still trying) to get legislation passed to permit teachers to administer glucagon. However, I believe the teacher's union is against this.

Having said that, I think the chances of needing glucagon are very, very slim. I would focus more on educating school personnel to be aware of signs of lows. My child attends a private school where the teachers will use glucagon as per my request. But to be honest, I think the chances of them properly administering it, is also very slim. When I tried to show them how to use it they were clearly scared at the thought of using a syringe and do not have any experience using a syringe, so I have my doubts about how well this would go. They know to call 911 in the event of a seizure or if my child passes out, and this is probably the best course of action anyway. But more importantly, through tons of discussion regarding various situations that have come up this year, they are very in tune with what numbers my son should be at and what to do if he is low. I can't imagine it ever reaching a point where he would need glucagon. Until legislations changes, I think educationg school personnel is the best way to go.

6. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

we do not have anyone trained for glucagon, but IF an RN was there the orders are to give it.

If it were just the clinical aide or the backup school administration I would want them to call EMS and stay with her controlling the situation as best as can be. The fire department is near and they are informed of the school population that may require assistance.