- advertisement -

Glucagon or Not??

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by jules12, Jul 27, 2010.

?

Do you provide Glucagon at School?

Poll closed Aug 1, 2010.
  1. Yes - Several People Trained

58.8%
  2. Yes - Only Nurse can give

29.4%
  3. No - would but no one trained to use it

5.9%
  4. No - provide other things and emt is available

11.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. jules12

jules12 Approved members

I went to refill my scripts and either I forgot from the last time because thankfully we have only had to fill the glucagon once a year or insurance just doesn't cover it as much - it cost twice what my other scripts cost. So it got me thinking - do you leave glucagon at school or not?

Our school nurse is the only one allowed to administer and she splits time between three schools. I have talked to the EMT's and they have glucagon and other stuff available if they are called and can be at the school within 5 minutes. I have gel available everywhere around the school so do I need to refill the second box that we have yet to use???

****REVISED***

Did not know it when I posted this thread - I thought emt and paramedic were interchangable - Our fire dept has its own ambulance and they can provide glucagon - most EMT's cannot....be sure to check with your area responders to find out what they can and cannot do.....

Also, thanks for the responses.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  2. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

I have one at our school but no nurse. I do have people trained on how to use it. I also don't know if EMT's carry it? Also , our endo said that they last 6 months past expire date.

3. blbrocky

blbrocky Approved members

When my son was in school we did not provide the glucagon. We were told the nurse could not administer the glucagon by law that it could only be given by EMTs.

4. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Nobody knows how to use it at my school. There's a hospital about 3 minutes drive down the road (almost next door!) so I imagine an ambulance would be there pretty quickly. All my teachers know to call 999 (our emergency services) if I pass out or have a seizure.

5. Lee

Lee Approved members

I would call your local EMT folks - ours WILL NOT administer Glucagon....

6. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

We provide one to the school. I believe only the nurse is trained on it, but Jack's art teacher is type 1, so she likely knows how/when to administer glucagon as well. Jack's school is small, and there is always a nurse there, so I haven't trained anyone else on it. I'm pretty sure that at any given time, a seizing/unconscious Jack would be her first priority, so I'm not worried about having a back-up.

Around here, EMTs will NOT give glucagon.

7. sooz

sooz Approved members

Ours goes with Hailey in her care kit (small back pack) where ever she goes, so if she is at school so is the glucagon.

8. MyAngelEmma

MyAngelEmma Approved members

Same with us.

9. lisamustac

lisamustac Approved members

I also believe here in NYC EMTs can't administer glucagon :eek:

10. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

Here ambulance staff can administer Glucagon IF it is prescribed for that person. So they could administer Rachel her own, but they don't carry it...
    At school any adult is willing to give it. :cwds:

11. Caydens_Mommy

Caydens_Mommy Approved members

We provide the school with one, leave one at home and always have one in the car.. Our insurance only covers them 1 time a year and that stinks, as I have 3 diabetics in my house.. Last year I had to use 2 in one night on my DH and we were completely out at that time. I feel insurance should have to cover them more then once a year..

12. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

Yes. Lia carries one in her mini back pack with her other supplies, plus one is kept in the school office and another in the room they use for before school care.

Luckily Glucagon is the only item D item we even have a co-pay for and it's quite reasonable so we can keep several around.

13. Adinsmom

Adinsmom Approved members

We don't have Adin's school d care worked out yet. But I voted yes, because I plan on supplying it for the school and the nurse training several people on it.

It went in Adin's d-care pack at preschool previously. I emphasised that they couldn't hurt him by giving it to him but that it could be fatal if they didn't. Glucagon - Call 911 while someone is administering glucagon - then call mom/dad. For Elementary School I think we should also specify who does what and when.

At a bike-a-thon a couple months back, I talked to the guys standing by the ambulance and asked about glucagon. If they were responding to a call for my son who has diabetes what they would use? They do have glucagon on the truck but I got the impression they would prefer to start a drip depending on the situation. I contemplated it. I feel if everything goes as trained glucagon will have been given prior to them getting there so them having glucagon is a moot point.