- advertisement -

Glucagon or Glycogen?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by sooz, Jul 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sooz

sooz Approved members

I don't wish to comment in another thread again, but a poster from Canada was discussing Glucagon administration and instead of calling it glucagon kept referring to it as glycogen. Is that how it is referred to in Canada? My understanding is glucagon and glycogen are two different things. I have never heard glucagon referred to as glycogen on the boards before. Would be interested to know if the terms are interchangeable.

2. sooz

sooz Approved members

My google search before I asked the question revealed the same information, thank you Christopher. My question however, is whether the term glucagon and glycogen is used interchangeably in Canada?

3. caspi

caspi Approved members

4. sooz

sooz Approved members

Caspi, I think she clearly was talking about glucagon but used the term glycogen repeatedly. Just wondering if this is a common Canadian term or was used in error?

5. sooz

sooz Approved members

Christopher sent me a pm saying he deleted his reply because it was wrong. Thank you Christopher.

6. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Not sure why you wouldn't have just deleted your response and why you feel you have to try and clarify something that doesn't make a difference, but since you did.......

Well, it wasn't "wrong" per se.....just not exactly what you were looking for. :cwds:

7. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Glucagon is the hormone which tells the liver to release its glycogen stores in case of a pending or actual low.

From my understanding Glucagon (the actual box with the emergency hormone) is made by Lilly and Glucagen (which is the one I have) is made by Novo Nordisk.

Have no idea which is used in Canada. I think the word glycogen was just used by mistake.

8. steph

steph Approved members

lol, of course, christopher would never post something wrong. :D

i think it was just an error. in her earlier posts she used the term glucagon, and it was not until her later posts when she started using the term glycogen. you gets tons of info thrown at you early on in the dx and it's easy to get confused. especially when ur feeling frazzled and defensive about your lack of D knowledge. i would also guess, based on the way she phrases certain things, that english may not be her first language which could make a slip up more likely.

9. caspi

caspi Approved members

And I was pointing out that there is another red box that is called Glucagen (shown on the right hand side of the link). I'm not really sure what the reason for wanting to know this is, but to each their own. ;)

10. sooz

sooz Approved members

I ask the question so that if I see someone else from Canada using the term glycogen I will understand that that is the term used for glucagon. I already learned from you that there is another term used for glucagon, glucagen. I am just trying to clarify the terms. Sometimes different countries have different terms for things, sometimes not. I just want to know if this is one of those times. Any Canadians out there? What term do you use.

11. sooz

sooz Approved members

I clarified it because you said in your pm that it could be confusing. I used the word "wrong" because that is the word you used in your pm. Thank you Christopher.

12. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

it's called glucagon - we only have one type here made by Lilly.

13. Christopher

Correct. And that is why I told you that it would be much less confusing if you simply just deleted your reply to me in your thread (like most reasonable people would have done) and then none of this back and forth would be happening. But you chose not to, still not sure why, but here we are....

This is your thread and if this is how you want it to go then this is how it goes...

Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
  14. sooz

sooz Approved members

That is what I was thinking too, but then I started wondering about it.

15. sooz

sooz Approved members

Thank you C6, I appreciate the feedback from a Canadian. :)

16. Christopher

You are right, but unfortunately, it does happen every once in a blue moon. Just not in this case. :D

17. sooz

sooz Approved members

I personally don't like deleting posts. Thank you for telling me what most reasonable people would have done.

18. Christopher

No problem, if you need any more assistance with understanding reasonableness feel free to ask, I will be happy to help you.

19. sooz

sooz Approved members

You are the one who said your reply was "wrong" in the pm you sent me. I was only quoting you. I am glad you are clarifying that now, thank you Christopher.

20. Christopher

You secretly like me, don't you? ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.