- advertisement -

Glucagon Mini dose

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by PAULEEN, Nov 30, 2008.

1. PAULEEN

PAULEEN Approved members

Hi All,
    I am trying to get prepared. My family has been fighting the stomach virus and Aaron has yet to get it..Hoping I'm wrong here but he's complaining of stomach pains so I need to be ready - just in case. So I figured I go to the experts with a question. When you do a mini dose do you give it in the same place you would as insulin, do you do it into muscle (as we were trained to use the gluacgon) or does it matter? I just want to know what to do, so that I am not panicing later. Thank you! Pauline

2. TripleThreat

TripleThreat Approved members

Mini dose use a normal needle
    for your son i would say 5 units

we would only give for stuborn lows and yes as shown by trainer.

3. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

We used it for a low I could not get up. He was only BG 40 but after 20 minutes of juice, gel ,glucose tablets he would not budge.
    Endo office told us 2 plus age=units. We actually used half(5 units) and it worked fine. Short needle syringe after it was mixed up. In the fatty tissue(back of arm) and it worked fine. I have heard other people say age=units. Our endo also said after mixing the vial , that in the refrig we could keep it for 24 hours.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2008
  4. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

I've done it with a regular syringe given in the fat and gave one unit for each year of his age. I ended up giving it 3 times over maybe 8 hours. It will last 24 hours once you mix it up, so you can use it more than once. It works very fast.

It kept him out of the ER last time because he couldn't keep anything down and there was no other way to keep his BG up at home.

5. PAULEEN

PAULEEN Approved members

Thank you everyone! I am glad I asked, I knew to use a regular needle but I guess I forgot until you all reminded me. Thanks again! Hopefully I will not have to use this information for a while but best to be safe than sorry!
    Have a great day! Lots of ice and drizzle here today. :(