advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Glucagon Instructions

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by s0ccerfreak, Aug 29, 2008.

1. s0ccerfreak

s0ccerfreak Approved members

I'm looking for an easy to follow info sheet about how to give glucagon. Does anybody have one or know where I can find something? Sometime this week, will I will be training one of my teachers how to give glucagon. I'm going my senior class trip next week for 3 days and wanted someone to know so I would feel safer. He volunteered/was volunteered, but was totally fine with it when we asked him. I plan on bringing an expired kit so he can actually draw it up. Just looking for other suggestions of how to train him.

2. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

There should be detailed instructions in the kit right?

3. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

My son's kit's instructions are in pictures and seem easy to follow.

4. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

Emergency Glucagon Kit Instructions

1. Inject the entire liquid contents of the syringe, into the small bottle. (Liquid into powder).

Swirl contents in the bottle until mixture is fully dissolved.

2. Use the same syringe, hold bottle upside down. Put the syringe into the bottle and withdraw all liquid.

3. Turn the individual on their side as he/she may vomit.

4. Inject the Glucagon syringe into the arm, leg or buttocks.

5. If the individuals' condition does not improve, a 2nd shot may be necessary.

6 . Once the individual is feeling better, a snack with carbohydrates and protein is suggested.

5. s0ccerfreak

Thanks, that is the type of thing I was looking for. I just wanted something short and simple and this is great! I'm going to edit it some, but it will work.
    The kit does have picture instructions, but I find them confusing. It also has detailed instructions, but who is going to be wanting to read a detailed crazy long instructions when a kid is unconscious or seizing.

6. NatesMom

NatesMom Approved members

What we were told in the hospital at diagnosis was "wet to dry, in the thigh"....short and to the point!!!

7. linda

linda Approved members

The reason you just gave is why i tell people to PRACTICE with expired glucagons! Use an orange or somthing like...When Em went unconscious and seized my hub and I grabbed 2 glucagons and started the process (thank god he had gone over it with me recently)...He panicked and pulled too hard seperating the syringe and thought he broke it, he ran for another, I did it.

She did get sick upon becoming conscious right as the emt's arrived...
    was too sick to eat until at hospital (after vomiting):( Please practice, go over in your mind and have loved ones do as well. offer expired kits to school nurse to practice, at least open and look at.

We heard a story of a local nurse not knowing how to give AND the emts were delayed...

8. linda

linda Approved members

great! i like that too!!! Wet to Dry in the thigh!!!!:cwds:

9. moco89

moco89 Approved members

10. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

11. moco89

moco89 Approved members

Also, use a pear or an orange for your teacher to practice doing the injections.

12. s0ccerfreak

You guys are awesome! I can always count on you when I need to find something d related. We do not have a nurse at my school so that is the reason for a teacher being asked to learn glucagon. My principal and secretary were suppose to go to a class at my endos when i was a freshman, but never did. My principal scared me with his comment- there will be camp staff that are first aid certified so they should know what to do :eek: did he really just say that?!? I just looked at my mom and let her respond. So I have relied on my friends when I was at school.

13. czardoust

czardoust Approved members

It may sound silly but the first time, I used an expired kit and practiced giving it to an orange. :D It really helped me. And yeh. Its simple. Squirt all of contents of liquid into bottle full of dry solid. Shake contents to mix. Draw back up into that ....huge, 1950's, merciless horse syringe and then inject. No need to take off the clothing from what mom says. Luckily I havent used it on Kat yet. Shes good about swallowing sugared drinks even if shes like 20.

14. momandwifeoftype1s

momandwifeoftype1s Approved members

15. s0ccerfreak

Thank You all again. I thought I'ld let you know that the meeting about glucagon for my senior retreat went really well. I actually had 2 teachers that were willing to learn! I made a step-by-step instruction sheet for them to have and brought 2 old kits so they could practice. Mr.G asked good questions... i was impressed. They did great and i now feel safe going on my trip.