- advertisement -

Glucagon - have you ever used it an emergency?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by momof2greatkids, Jun 4, 2011.

1. momof2greatkids

momof2greatkids Approved members

Even though I've been married for 20 years to my dh who has d, I hadn't heard of glucagon until Audrey was diagnosed.

I'm just wondering how often anyone has used it in an emergency situation. Do you use it instead of calling 911, or do you call 911 also?

2. Tuff

Tuff Approved members

I haven't had to use it but we were told to use and call 911. Lucky you didn't need it for your husband all those years. That's encouraging.

3. acjsmom

acjsmom Approved members

In the two years since diagnosis, we have not had to use it. My dd has even dropped to 29 and was running around.:eek: I am praying that she will be one of those who go their whole lives without having to use it.

Last year at diabetes camp, (why do I feel like I need to say band camp there?) I asked a man who was a father with Type 1 and had a son with Type 1 about their glucagon. If memory serves me right, he said he had used his twice I think, but his son had only had to use his once. For his son, it was because he was sick and had dropped, not because he had passed out. His son was a teenager and had had it for a few years.

4. momof2greatkids

momof2greatkids Approved members

I don't think I would be able to use it on my husband. He hasn't had any really bad lows since he's been on the pump. Before that, he was on NPH, and there were a few instances where I had to call 911. Even if I had glucagon, I think he would have been too combative in that state to let me stick a needle in him.

5. Tuff

Tuff Approved members

Wow that's scary. I hope I never have to deal with that. Fingers crossed ;)

6. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

I used a mini-gluc shot on J when he was low and didn't want to eat (just wanted to sleep). It helped greatly.
    We were told to call 911 anytime we had to use glucogon. Obviously I didn't do that for the mini-gluc.

7. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

I don't have glucagon in my house, I use juice or corn syrup, has worked for all these years.

8. mathcat

mathcat Approved members

I have used glucagon for the first of my son's two seizures and was ready to use it for his second one. It turns out that the seizures were due to epilepsy rather than a low but I did not know that at the time (I am in the glucagon first, test immediately second camp).

It was not difficult to give. I was in a very focused zone, prepared the shot, and stuck it in his thigh. Yes, all the emotions hit later but at that time I simply did what (I thought) needed to be done.

After both seizures I called the endocrinologist on call. Both times were late at night. I did an informal neuro check each time and took my son into the pediatrician for a better neuro check the next day. Being that at the time I thought the seizures were due to diabetes even though both times the readings were in range, I tested frequently through the night.

If my son was low even after glucagon I would have called an ambulance. But that was not the case.

9. dejahthoris

dejahthoris Approved members

A freind with a teen type 1 said she needed it once when she was around 4. She was seizing due to a low and he said it took a full fifteen minutes to work, but it worked. He said it was the longest fifteen minutes of his life. BTW the teen is perfectly fine- does her shots and self care and takes school trips etc etc..

10. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I have never had glucagon used on me and have been pretty frustrated in attempts to get people to learn to use it. I stopped carrying it around. But a few months ago my endo suggested to me that I should be using mini glucagon doses for some of my lows even when I'm not close to passing out because of my digestive issues- particularly he was concerned that I was sometimes running high to avoid lows when my stomach hurts bad, because I refuse to eat then, even if I'm low. He said just use the glucagon.
    But so far, I haven't used it.

11. dejahthoris

dejahthoris Approved members

Do you like hot tea? Sometimes tea with a little mint is soothing - you could add honey.

I was hunting for liquids for lows today to give through a straw at night while he's sleepy. I tried Richard's suggestion of sugar water but the taste was not a hit. All the boxed drinks I could find, like capri sun, koolaid, etc have some fruit juice which slows absorption. I found a soda made with cane sugar that was cherry vanilla flavored, and I will try that next time needed. If I had time I could try some warm tea with honey but sometimes you need something now.

12. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

We used Glucagon on a school trip when Rachel wouldn't (couldn't) wake up in the morning (I had asked her if she was okay when I got up to shower at 6am, she mumbled yes, and next thing I was being called out of the shower because she had fallen out of bed and wouldn't wake). Trying to get ANYTHING through her clenched teeth was not possible. Her BG wasn't LO, it was around 2.0 (36). I used a 30 unit syringe which was familiar to me to use and it seemed to work quite quickly. She definitely relaxed enough to start having Glucose Gel.

13. Scribe

Scribe Approved members

In all my years as T1 I not one of my docs or endos has ever uttered the word "glucagon." I have never used it, never purchased it and have never come close to needing it (yes, I know how fortunate I am. Nor have I ever been to the hospital for a D-related event in all my years.) I have no plans to ever get it.
    In fact, until I saw a reference here several months ago I have no idea what it was.

14. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I've never needed glucagon. When I've been LO I've always thought - I could need glucagon if I pass out now. But I never have - I've always been able to treat (although I have needed help to do that before).

My mum had the glucagon out and ready to use when one morning I woke up very confused and disorientated and was refusing sugar. It turned out that I wasn't low at all - I was just confused because I'd only just woken up. :rolleyes:

15. Marcia

Marcia Approved members

Never used it but got close when Ab was honeymooning and her BG wouldn't come up out of the low 20's. I talked with a mom at diabetes camp who had used glucagon for the first time 5 years after her daughter was diagnosed. Our endo asks at every visit if we have it on hand and if we have used it.

16. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

I have used it several times for my son, but never have needed it for my daughter and hopefully never will. I stopped using the huge needle in the kit though, and used a regular syringe that held only about half of the dose. You really don't need as much as is in that kit, but you could always give the rest if the first dose doesn't work. Using less causes less chance of stomach upset, which was pretty severe when I used the full dose on my son. He was a teen at the time, so little ones would definitely be fine on half a dose. When we were able to give it without him being combative, we didn't call 911. If he was fighting us, we would call. We always tried to get him to drink skim milk or used frosting or something like that first. Glad that those days are over, they were really stressful!

17. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

Have not used it and hope I don't need to. We were told that any low under 60 is considered an emergency, but that the glucagon was only for when the person is unresponsive and cannot ingest sugars orally. We were told that if we needed it,to inject into muscle, turn him on his side, and call 911.

18. CoopersMom

CoopersMom Approved members

Yes. Unfortunately last sunday I had to use it on my husband. I went to check on him and found him seizing so I ran and got the Glucagon then called 911. By the time they got here which was about 5-7 mins they tested him and he was 40. So it must have been really bad. I have never had to use it on Cooper thankgoodness. This is not the first time I have had to use it on my husband. Very scary :(

19. nyholli

nyholli Approved members

I have the emergency Glucagon Kit, and carry it with supplies. Her worst low was 19 but still able to swallow. I have a question... What is mini glucagon??? I was it referenced a couple of times in this thread and have never heard of it.

20. wilf

wilf Approved members

Not yet, and hopefully not ever. DD was diagnosed almost 5 years ago at age 10..