- advertisement -

glucagon guestion

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Abuchanan, Jan 12, 2008.

1. Abuchanan

Abuchanan Approved members

Got a question....Makaelas glucagon injections expired last month. My question is are they no good now? Or do they just put an expiration date on them because they have to have a date on them. I have three that I am going to have to throw out.

Also, we just hit our one year on Makaela on 1/8. I cant believe its already been a year......I cant believe we survived it without any mental break downs lol....I can remember one year ago I thought my world came to an end.

2. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

is the glucogaon expired or just the prescription? I thought two of mine expired but it was the prescription, the date on the glucagon itself was a few months out.. so it hadn't really expired.. I looked at ours the other night and realized we now only have ONE that isn't expired.. so I had to get new prescriptions.. if they are expired by the date on the glucagon, don't throw them out.. keep them to practice with, either yourself, your relatives, or give them to you cde/endo's office so they can teach new parents:) I'm holding on to all our expired ones for training the school next fall..

congrats on making it to the one year mark with no meltdowns.. ;) its amazing how fast it goes by and the amount of knowledge you gain..

Last edited: Jan 12, 2008
  3. Abuchanan

Abuchanan Approved members

the actual vial has 12/2007 on it.

4. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

I would throw it out. Make sure when you get the next ones from the pharmacy that you request an expiration date that is as far out as possible.

5. momtojess

momtojess Approved members

I dont know if they are not any good after the expiration date, but I havent really ever wanted to take the chance to find out either.

We get 4 new ones each year when the old expire. Then we use the old ones on oranges and give one to the school to practice with. We have never used a glucagon for real but we have practiced plenty

6. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

In 10 years, I have never thrown out a glucagon set, nor have we had to use one. I kept all the old ones for us to practice using or to train the school. I am always happy to retire a glucagon set.

7. jendean

jendean Approved members

NO NO NO
    dont throw them away!

If you send them to me I can use them when I teach babysitting classes.

Your insurance has to pay for new ones.

I wouldnt use anything expired just because of that.

We had one at school that stayed there, and they called me this week to let me know that NOlans glucagon expired...... In August. :rolleyes: good thiing I can put my childs life in thier hands...
    Its a good feeling isnt it? :rolleyes:

8. Jacob'sDad

Qoute: We had one at school that stayed there, and they called me this week to let me know that NOlans glucagon expired...... In August. good thiing I can put my childs life in thier hands...

This is one of those things that can easily slip by at school. I wouldn't be too hard on them. I would advise writing on your calendar when the Glucagon at school will expire. It is probably the same date the ones you have at home expire.

9. Jacob'sDad

I have used Jacob's glucagon a few times to give mini doses from a regular syringe. If he is sick and can't eat or keep his food down and his blood sugar won't come up, I give him 7 units of Glucagon to get his BG up. That's one unit for each year he is old. I keep checking him and give more if needed. The Glucagon is good for 1 day once it is mixed.

10. Momof4gr8kids

Momof4gr8kids Approved members

The FDA makes all drugs have an experation date. What that date means is that the product will not loose more then 5% effectiveness by that date. Some things that are dry and pill form will last quite a while before they truly do not work, but still need that date on there. Most companies go for a year.

I would use the glucagon as practice for training, but not until you have a new one. If you need it before you get a new one, use the expired one. The worst that will happen is it will be less effective, which is better then none at all.

11. Momof4gr8kids

I know a lot of parents use this, but I want to give you some food for thought. All glucogon does is release stored sugar from the liver. Once that is gone, it is gone. Using it too much when a child is ill could put you in an even worse situation if you deplete the liver of it's stores and then have a really horrible low. I am not saying not to do this, but when you are doing it, I hope you keep that in mind and not use glucagon too often. Buy some suckers with a high carb load, and try to get your son to suck on them is a great alternative even when they have been throwing up. Also most people, even without D will have bg between 50 and 60ish when they have the stomach flu.

12. Jacob'sDad

The possibility of depleting Jacob's liver of it's stored sugar by using mini doses of Glucagon really doesn't concern me at all. I believe there is 100 units in a full Emergency kit. I think the most I've ever given Jacob is three 7 unit doses. It is VERY effective at quickly raising his BG and does not cause vomiting in such a small dose. I highly doubt if a few mini doses is enough to deplete his liver of all it's stored sugar. The info I have read suggests that it only takes one day of normal BG's to replenish his liver.
    If I try other means to get his blood sugar up and they don't work I might then be forced to give him at least half of the full dose of Glucagon if he is unresponsive. That is FAR more likely to deplete his liver.

MAYBE I could get him to suck on suckers. I think that would be great to MAINTAIN his BG at a good level but if the sucker has 15g of carbs, he won't get that full 15g until the sucker is ALL GONE. That could take an hour. It's just not fast enough if he is quite low.

Here's a link from this site: http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/d_0j_20w.htm

Last edited: Jan 13, 2008
  13. Momof4gr8kids

Yes, I've read that. I know how to do it though I refuse to use it after reading a thread on an EMT board about a year ago about a child with T1 who's parents had been giving him mini doses and then the glucagon didn't work when it was really needed because there was nothing left for the liver to release. If your child is sick with the stomach flu the liver is already dumping to try and keep up with energy.

So you go your way, I just wanted to give you something to chew on. I'm sticking to my way as I feel it is safer, and the sucker works wonders. It doesn't take an hour, more like 15 min to get at least 6g of carbs which in my 7 year old will give her a 60-80 point raise, so it is just a suggestion.