- advertisement -

Glucagon-Do you keep it on hand?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Jilleighn, May 10, 2010.

1. Scribe

Scribe Approved members

never had it; never needed it (thankfully); will never get it.
    and, interestingly, in all my years as T1 none of my endos has ever uttered the word ``glucogaon.'' in fact, i had never heard of it until i saw a reference to it several months ago on this board.

2. jilmarie

jilmarie Approved members

I do have a glucagon kit on hand, but I keep it at home only. My roommate and boyfriend know how to administer it, but when I'm out and about, I don't usually have someone who would know where to find the kit and how to use it. I would hope people would call 911 in the event of a severe low. Thankfully, I've never needed glucagon.

3. MyAngelEmma

MyAngelEmma Approved members

Just a question...I've often wondered if someone who had never been trained to administer glucagon would be able to administer it if they were being instructed on what to do over the phone. What do you all think about this?

Most everyone that Emma is around has been instructed on glucagon but she does have one friend that she has play dates with and the parents have not been trained. Both parents are very layed back as in level headed so I have always felt like if need be I could walk them through it on the phone. Besides they live 5 minutes from a fire station with EMTs and about 5-10 minutes from our house. Do you think most people could administer glucagon with instructions over the phone?

4. swellman

swellman Approved members

We keep three - home, school nurse and backpack. We always carry one when away from home. We have never used it but mistakes can happen any time and any where.

5. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

I have one in dd's D bag so it goes with her wherever she goes. But she's only 7 and has an adult with her at all times. For older ppl I can see not having it with you 24/7. If you need it you can't do it yourself and if no one else is around who can do it then it's not at all useful. In that case, a tube of frosting might be better, since no one would hesitate to use it if you were incoherent, but not unconcious.

However, here's another good reason for gluc: the mini-dose. What if it's not an emergency but you are dealing with lows that won't come up and insulin on board? What if you just threw up 100 carbs that you already dosed for and can't keep anything down? What if someone accidently punched in 50 carbs instead of 15? You can mix up the gluc and use a regular syring to give a mini dose to AVOID an emergency rather than just react to one.

ETA--I'm not saying to use instead of other methods--it's too expensive for that and not necessary if you can keep down some apple juice. But if you just threw up your pasta dinner and now can't keep anything down, you don't have to wait until your bs is 25 to use your gluc.

6. Emma'sDad

Emma'sDad Approved members

I think most people understand the concept that 'medicine' comes from a vial, into a syringe and then injected into the body. It's used as the tetanus shot, the flu shot, etc... So with that in mind, we'd basically have to remember the extra step of squirting the liquid into the vial and then instruct them to put it back into the syringe. It's also important to tell the person not to go to fast, take your time, a minute extra won't make that much of a difference, take that time to do it right.

7. Brynn

Brynn Approved members

I don't even have an RX for one. I think I have different reasons though. I was diagnosed with epilepsy and whenever I have a seizure my sugar is low. The neurologist and endo both said (in front of my mother) just called 911 because they can't be sure which one it is. For me, there is no point to have glucagon.

8. Snowbound

Snowbound Approved members

We keep it at home and school. We take in on overnight trips, but we don't take it everywhere we go when we leave the house.

We only needed to use it once. A bad case of the stomach flu after bolusing for supper. He didn't go seriously low but he couldn't keep anything is his stomach so with the assist of the Endo on call we did a few mini doses through the night to counter the IOB.

9. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

We have 2 - one stays at school. The other travels with us.:)

10. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Ditto..........

11. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

We have it at home, but don't take it everywhere we go. Also don't have one at school, as they won't administer it anyway.

12. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

We have one at school, one in our take out bag and a couple at home.

The problem we ran into while away from home on a school trip, is that I had to use it the 2nd night away, and then had none on hand :rolleyes:. Luckily our D nurse (6 hrs away) found the local pharmacy and had a prescription faxed through for us.... :cwds:

13. MamaChrissa

MamaChrissa Approved members

We keep alot on hand.

J keeps one in his "D" bag, that is on him at all times. (He is only 7 and while technically only the school RN can give it and has one also, I have taught several people in school how to use it if necessary.) I keep one in my purse, one in the kitchen "D" supply area, and one in DHs top dresser drawer.

I am never more than 6 feet or so from one, ever. Ever since J's "12" last September and not being able to find one...I am spooked about ever being so far from one ever again. :eek:

14. Jacque471

Jacque471 Approved members

We have multiple. One sits on the D station at home. One in my purse. One in our "outing backpack". We also have one in the car that probably needs to be tossed but just haven't done it yet.

I have to remind myself to periodically check the expiration dates. I can order them 2 at a time since our RX was for 2. We had the pharmacy auto refil it after we had first ordered, so we wound up with extras. Thankfully that was after our old high deductible plan had met its deductible so at least they were "free"

I have a couple of old ones that I held onto for practice purposes if needed.

We have used it one time for a mini-dose when he could not/would not eat anymore and just kept dropping. I would NEVER go anywhere without it.

15. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

We have 2 kits. Ashleigh carries one with her at all times and the other one is kept in the nurse's office at school. My thinking is the time you don't expect to need it, is when you will need it. Why take that chance.

16. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

We got two kits at dx. Once is the nurse's office, the other with us and we take it with us when we go out. It is in a little carrying case that hold's about a week's supplies that comes downstairs in the morning and goes into DD's room at night.

I put large labels on the outside of ours with DD's name, a note that she gets one-half the dosage, and in big letters, the expiration date. I'm thinking I'll blank out on the expiration date from seeing it so frequently, but also added the date to my electronic calendar.

17. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

We have one at each house and one at school. We don't carry it around with us but we do take it when we go on trips...:cwds:

18. Karenwith4

Karenwith4 Approved members

We have one in Em's bag that goes everywhere with us, one at her grandparents as an out of the house back up and one spare in the D box in the cupboard.

We used it once for a mini dose for a persistent low when 200+ carbs got us no where. I wouldn't leave home without it.

Karen