- advertisement -

Glucagon-Do you keep it on hand?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Jilleighn, May 10, 2010.

1. Jilleighn

Jilleighn Approved members

I was making a list for the items/supplies I need to order for our up coming trip and noticed are 2 Glucagon's are expired. They expired last month so not to horrible. I of course am a worry wart so I will keep it on hand, but my husband made the comment that we have not used any at all ever and we have a cgms, do we really need it? I gave him the evil eye and said "YES" He is very supportive and said then "get it!"

Is there anyone that does not keep it on hand? Is there a reason why you dont?

2. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

I keep it on hand. I also carry one in my purse.

Never had to use it - but came close a couple of times on stubborn lows.

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

8 years, never used it, always have at least one in the house. :cwds:

4. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

I take ours with us whenever we leave the house; I like to be prepared:eek:

- Kathy

5. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

have them in the house and take with us on vacation.
    over 4 years now and never had to use it:D

6. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

I have several. They are in the house. I don't take them when we go anywhere but I do take one when we go on vacation. Our preschool teacher has one but has never used it.

7. MyAngelEmma

MyAngelEmma Approved members

We always have 2. One that Emma carries with her in her D bag everywhere with her and one at home that keep on the frig door.

I figure my luck the one time we don't have one on had is the one time we will need it. Better safe than sorry!

8. SarahsMum

SarahsMum Approved members

I keep it on hand, always one in the house and one in Sarah's nappy bag

Sadly we have used it about 9 or 10 times already

9. Jen_in_NH

Jen_in_NH Approved members

We have one in Christopher's backpack, and one in his bedroom. We've never used it, but I'll always carry it. The big reason I worry about having it on hand is if for some reason someone had to call EMS. In NH, the paramedics have it and can use it, but the basic and intermediate EMTs can only assist the patient / parent with giving the patient's own. So, if Christopher was with my dad, and he didn't remember how to do it, at least it would be there and EMS could help him do it.

Sounds silly, I know :cwds:

10. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

Most definitely. I try to make sure that wherever Lia is, there is Glucagon.

Of course not sure how this will work out when she's older and on her own more and maybe not always with someone who knows how to use it.

And this post reminds me that I need to get ours refilled. I know one, maybe two expire this month. Oops!

11. Denise

Denise Approved members

Molly carries a mini backpack wherever she goes and the glucagon is in there.

12. RosemaryCinNJ

RosemaryCinNJ Approved members

I always have 2...one in the bag that goes where Amanda goes..and one in the fridge as a backup..always...
    Better to have it on hand in case your child cannot swallow and is seizing..at times like this (even if they are not frequent, but do and can happen) it is nice to know it is available and works super quick.
    Yes to me its very important..Kind of like an epi pen...you may not always need it but its nice to know if you do..you have it..

13. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

Never used it (of course we are only 4 1/2 months in) but had a friend who also has a D child tell me "they say you won't ever have to use it, but you will". I keep it at home and one in my bag that goes everywhere when DS is with me.

14. Gracie'sMom

Gracie'sMom Approved members

We keep one in her kit that goes to/from school with her, one extra in her classroom, one in our kitchen, and one in our car . . .

15. NatBMomto4

NatBMomto4 Approved members

Andrew has one at school with the nurse, one in his catcher's equipment bag that is with him at all baseball games and practices, one in the house, one in my purse, and one in his "D bag" that he takes with him if he goes to a friend's house or to the park without me. Better safe than sorry!

16. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

When you need glucagon, it isn't as though you have time to run and get the prescription filled.

This is an emergency kit. Every type 1 could have low sugars, seizure or unconsciousness where glucagon needs to be administered.

Why would you consider not having this on hand?

17. colebenmom

colebenmom Approved members

We keep one at home, one at school and one is Ben's d bag. I do know of several parents of CWD that opt not to have one around. I don't know, I think I'd better be safe than sorry.

18. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

we have several.. we've never used it but we always have them on hand.. I'm happy to see them expire! I carry one in my bag, Kaylee has one in hers.. we have one in a central location in the house and there is one at school.

19. Jilleighn

Jilleighn Approved members

We have always had it on hand, I just did not realize the 2 we had expired 4/10. I would like to have it on hand and never use it instead of needing it and never having it. Sometimes I think my husband talks before he thinks. Once he got the evil eye I think he realized we were talking about "big red" and he said to get it.

I have heard from other parents that sometimes they have it and sometimes they dont.

20. Emma'sDad

Emma'sDad Approved members

Hell yeah! Never leave home without it!! I'd just hate myself if we were out and the one time we don't bring it, is when an emergency happens.