- advertisement -

Glucagon at School

Discussion in 'School and Daycare' started by jules12, Aug 7, 2007.

1. jules12

jules12 Approved members

I was curious as to how many of you actually had someone at school who would administer glucagon? I asked our nurse about this last year and she was very hesitant - said she would look into it.

I also asked our Endo and he said it is very rare for a diabetic child to need it during the day and wasn't concerned if they had it at school. We have glucagon at home and we take it on trips but we don't carry it everywhere we go. We also make sure we have some form of liquid/gel glucose with us at all times including at school.

I am working on a 504 plan and am trying to be sure I include everything!!!

2. momofsingingdiabetic

momofsingingdiabetic Approved members

We keep a Glucogon at school....our school wants it there and it goes with her on any field trip. At least we did last year in Middle Schooo. She starts High School this year, so we're not sure about how all this will be handled. She's almost 14, so she carries another Glucogon in her purse with all her other supplies.

3. momofphoenix

momofphoenix Approved members

We have 10 people at my sons school trained on how to administer glucagon, it is not an option for us. The nurse said she wasnt comfortable giving it to him and all I had to say is either do it or he can die waiting for 911.. they are now trained.....

Good luck

4. coni

coni Approved members

We were told to have the glucagon available at all times; consequently, it's in our diabetes supply bag, and I just left it with the supplies at school today in anticipation of school starting on Monday. All of dd's teachers are trained in how to administer glucagon (we used an expired kit for the training).

It may be rare to need glucagon at school, but what if...? I'm uncomfortable with not being prepared.

School has been trained that if glucagon is needed, they need to administer the glucagon first, then call us, then call 911. This is per our endo's instructions.

5. coni

coni Approved members

Here's part of our instructions to staff at school:

21. If DD is unconscious and unable to eat, drink or swallow, she will need an injection of Glucagon. Specific instructions about the administration of Glucagon, an emergency treatment for severely low blood sugar, can be found in the Staff Folder. If Glucagon is administered, contact the parents and immediately dial 911. It is suggested that a minimum of two staff members be trained in the administration of glucagon.

I've copied this section from some of the info off of the CWD and ADA sites regarding 504's.

As in my previous post, I provided hands on training. I also have the printout from the ADA on administration of glucagon. These are the instructions in the folder (actually, it's a notebook now:D).

Last edited: Apr 28, 2008
  6. Mama2H

Mama2H Approved members

Snippets of sustitute teacher folder:

mal levels. I may need assistance if my blood sugar is low enough to prevent me from opening a sugary drink. Sometimes I must be told to drink. If I am unable to drink or am unconscious I must be injected with glucagon. The glucagon kit is a red box in my diabetes supplies and must be mixed and injected into my thigh or buttocks. I must remain in the company of an adult

Snippets of 504:

Hailey will wear a pump at all times and carry diabetic supplies on her at all times. Supplies include blood glucose meter, strips, lancets with lancet device, glucose tablets, forms of fast acting sugar, back-up pump supplies, back up continuous glucose monitor supplies, and phone numbers. Extra supplies will be kept in the office. A glucagon kit for severe reactions will be in the office and one will be in her bag.

Diabetic Supplies
    • Dispose of used supplies in her medical pouch or in a sharps container.
    • Carry the diabetic kit, including the glucagon kit, through out the school day and during field trips. Blood glucose testing and pump therapy will be done at regular intervals and as needed.
    • A back-up medical supply including glucagon kit will be located in the school office.

• Severe Reaction: School will give a glucagon injection and call 911 for severe reaction. A parent will be called as soon as possible.

7. linda

linda Approved members

:(just wondering, who says it is true that they"can die" waiting for a 9-1-1 response without glucagon?....Em needed Glucagon last year, but so many others dont even have around, or you hear stories of teens that awake, alone after a seizure...where can we find the true info??
    Yes, Em has glucagon at school, we also give up our expired ones so that they can "practice" on an orange...but we will see at our meeting"504" this year who else is trained, or can give...wow u are lucky 10 people have training, curios, are they medical people? or w/d?

8. linda

linda Approved members

thanks for the snippet..where does haley carry all of these supplies around all day to classes?....we have at office, but only glutabs on her...i didnt even know until the other day, that em isnt allowed to carry back pac, it is in her locker:(

9. linda

linda Approved members

how did all of her teachers get trained? at a meeting by you? what state is this? not even sure if federal law allows non medical people to administer glucagon

10. momofsingingdiabetic

momofsingingdiabetic Approved members

How old is she? In middle school Danielle wasn't allowed to have her backpack, but she had her purse. She has legal right to carry something with her if she needs it.

11. Mama2H

Mama2H Approved members

She keeps everything in a sling style backpack. Other students are now allowed to carry a backpack but are allowed to carry a purse. When told her principal that all of her emergency supplies are there he did not have a problem with her keeping it and said he would let all teachers know.

12. Mama2H

Mama2H Approved members

Yes, I trained them all. Let me tell you that made me nervous as heck! We are in Iowa. I did tell anyone who could not do it to please go get someone who could do it. Everyone in the room said they would just rather know how to do it than have something happen to her that could be prevented.

Laws are soooo wishy washy. I am an Emt-B and AM NOT allowed to give glucagon, alot of ambulance services are NOT allowed to do it. You need to check with your local service to find out if they can. I can "help" someone give it but I cannot put it and push the plunger.

13. Mama2H

Mama2H Approved members

She is 11 and in 6th grade (middle school). Under normal circumstances the school does not allow backpacks but are allowing Hailey to carry her sling bag.

14. Tamara Gamble

Tamara Gamble Approved members

We have several people trained at our school. Ty carries two with him in his bag, two are in the office and two are on the bus.

Someone asked who said they can die without immediate glucagon. They can. The case that Crystal Jackson won out of Loudon County Virginia was won based on the fact that within six minutes brain damage could occur and possible death waiting on EMS.

IT IS NOT AN OPTION TO NOT HAVE GLUCOGON IN THE SCHOOL AND/OR STAFF UNTRAINED.

Tami

15. momofphoenix

momofphoenix Approved members

I just got my son's school orders changed, The school nurse said that they would not administer glucogon at school unless it was a nurse and if she wasnt there my son would have to wait on 911, My son's Endo put in his orders that NO LESS THEN 6 people ARE to be trained on how to administer it and call 911 AFTER administering the glucogon...

16. HaileesMom

HaileesMom Approved members

My daughters endo gave orders for insulin to be given before lunch at school and for the glucogon to be given in emergencys but my school is refusing to have anyone but the nurse (who is not full time at the school) give injections. So when the nurse isnt at school there is no one to do it. Which leaves 911 (and me RACING from home) for emergencys.

The school says they are not required to teach anyone else to give injections and cant force their staff to learn.

What if anything can I do about this?

FYI-- I'm in IL and there is no laws that I can find against unlicensed people giving these injections which is what the school is using as their excuse to not teach anyone.