- advertisement -

Glucagon and Type 2 diabetes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kitty, Jan 14, 2006.

1. kitty

kitty Approved members

I recently read in the ADA's Complete Guide to Diabetes that glucagon does NOT work in people with Type 2 diabetes. Why is this?
    Doesn't everyone have some stored glucose in their liver?

Also, what do you do if you take a medicine for Type 2 that causes low blood sugars? Would glucagon work then?

I'm trying to write a book for kids with Type 2 diabetes and need to know this! Thanks!

Jessie:cool:

2. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Glucagon

Hi, I think if you are writing something that is going into print, and will have people using this as a reference, you really want to speak with a certified medical professional. Try contacting a pediatric endocrinologist in your area, or at the closest university with a medical school.

3. maverickmom (Kerri)

maverickmom (Kerri) Approved members

Most type 2's don't require insulin and as such, don't normally have bgs that drop low enough to cause seizures, necessitating glucagon. Most of them can easily treat their low bgs with glucose containing things. For insulin-dependent type 2's, or type 2's who are very ill with something like a vomiting illness where their bg might drop a lot, then it would probably help bring their bg back up.

Hope this helps!