advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Glu and the T1D Exchange

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jeff, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

Sharing a note from the team at Glu:

Glu (myglu.org) is a new online community for people impacted by type 1 diabetes to meet, share, and learn from each other. Glu is part of the T1D Exchange whose overall mission is to improve the quality of life for people with type 1 diabetes by empowering them to engage with researchers, clinicians, and industry.

Glu is free to join and currently in a functional closed beta with over 700+ members - the more users we have, the better we can test the functionality prior to our full launch later this year and we'd love to reach 1,000 by end of April, so please join us.

To quickly get your invite code please email "myglu1" to info@myglu.org.

2. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

How does this compare with CWD?

3. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

I'm curious too how it may be different from tudiabetes.com.

4. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

5. selketine

selketine Approved members

It says something like it is for facilitating communication between the patient population and researchers (of course the patients can communicate with each other too). Sounds like the focus is more on "empowering them to engage with researchers, clinicians, and industry" however.

6. MHoskins2179

MHoskins2179 Approved members

Think of it as a combination between CWD, TuDiabetes, Facebook, Twitter, and so on. A way to bring all of those components together to connect patients, PWD, PArents of CWD, medical and clinical folk along with researchers. A way to also bring in the actual data that might be used to further research and connect people on what it all means to them. That's my reading and understanding of Glu, after a handful of months playing around on it.

7. Nataliebellini

Nataliebellini Approved members

I'm in! They make it very easy to get your password.

I filled out some basic info and can tell you I already like the 'How do you feel?' section.

I am tagging my hypos and emotions as I think they are more closely tied than ever.

8. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I like it :) particularly the fact that you can log BGs - I might utilise that. I can't see myself getting into the forums until they are more active, but I'm sure that will come with time.

9. Deal

Deal Approved members

I went through the process of signing up with an expectation that there might be some research information there. I found no such information or links to anything research oriented. At this point it seems like another place for a bunch of caregivers to exchange information/feelings with an outlook of having some companies pitch their products to a captive audience. Hope I'm wrong but for now I doubt I'll sign on again.

10. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

I think the big difference in Glu is the clinical data and its tie to the T1D Exchange.

Glu is funded fully by the Helmsley Trust. Don't expect companies in their pitching anything.

11. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I'm really liking the BG logging facility. Can't figure out how to change my avatar though, LOL.

I think I could find myself actually logging on here. The slider thing is really cool, plus the fact that it does mmol/l and mg/dl. And I do like graphs. The only extra I'd love there would be if it could tell you average BGs for different times of day, or after particular amounts of carbs. Imagine how cool it would be to have a facility where you entered carbs and BGs and it said "hey, you go high after every meal". Doesn't seem like it would be too complicated either (obviously it would be for me - I'm not a web designer, haha).

But failing that, it would be nice to get several graphs overlapped onto each other, or an 'average' graph. Or even pie charts like the MM carelink software does, to tell you how often you're in range or whatever?

Okay, I'm probably focusing too much on this tiny area of the site. :eek: The other stuff is cool too. :p