- advertisement -

Glad to have found this community

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by rericsimpson, May 26, 2011.

1. rericsimpson

rericsimpson Approved members

Hi. My daughter, Clara, is one. She was diagnosed at eleven months with T1, and she is on a pump. I am really glad to have discovered this website, and have already discovered some helpful links thanks to following threads.

I'd say that my wife and I are in different places with the diagnosis so far. I am not really sure how I feel about it. At this point, the condition seems to be much more of an adjustment for us than for Clara. We also have an older daughter, Allie, who doesn't have diabetes-she is trying to figure everything out as well, with three year old logic on her side.

In any case, I just wanted to say hello, and 'thank you' to all of you posting.

Ciao!

2. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

Ciao! and welcome to CWD, sorry you have to be here. Please come back often and ask questions, etc. There are others here with little ones who have diabetes, and I am sure they will chime in and offer any help/guidance, etc.

Best wishes,
    Kathy

3. fredntan2

fredntan2 Approved members

So sorry you have to be hear.
    I hope one day soon, you guys will have a new normal.
    Its very tough a you know in beginning.
    But its never been a better time too have D.
    Technology is getting so good

4. JeremysDad

JeremysDad Approved members

Welcome to the forum. Yes, it's always a big adjustment for the parents. There is so much to learn but it does get easier to deal with in time.

5. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Hello and welcome:cwds: It is alot to take in at first and there are many feelings that go along with the diagnosis of a child with type 1. It is normal to feel those feelings for awhile, scared, confused, angry, depressed. If your wife is feeling those things than she is not alone;) Both of you are welcome here anytime to ask questions or to look for support and understanding.

6. rericsimpson

rericsimpson Approved members

Thanks for all the kind words.

The feelings are really odd to me. My wife seems to be moving some normal grief phases: she was sad, and now she is just angry (not at our daughter, or me-just at diabetes.)

I don't think I'm giving myself permission to feel anything-which I know is not healthy, but I just don't know how to feel. I mean, my daughter has diabetes. I can't change that, and I just have to take care of her, and as she gets older help her take care of herself. I don't know how to feel about that. It's almost like my brain thinks: well, there's nothing you can do about it, so you might as well just move on.

It's a confusing time-in more ways than one.

7. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Welcome to CWD.

8. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Welcome to CWD, glad you found us!

9. KatieJane'smom

KatieJane'smom Approved members

I don't think there's any right way to react to this diagnosis. I don't tend to spend time grieving over things I have no control over (I'm not saying that's normal or even healthy. I'm just saying that's me). I just jump right into "what do I need to do next? How do we proceed from here?" mode. I think it's probably healthier and more normal to go through the stages of grief but everyone is different. Just take care of your family and yourself the best you can. That's all anyone can do.

I'm sorry for the diagnosis but I wanted to welcome you to the forum:)

10. zoomom456

zoomom456 Approved members

Welcome to CWD, though I am sad that you had to reason to find the forum. I have a son who was diagnosed at 13 months and is getting ready to turn 3. You definetly will meet others on here who have little ones.

As to the grieving, I think it is normal for spouses to "take turns". If one spouse is grieving, the other is usually holding down the fort . When the grieving spouse is in a better place, you may feel more comfortable taking your turn. However, greif varies from person to person. Eventually, you find a new normal.

11. ShanaB

ShanaB Approved members

Welcome. My little one was 10-months at diagnosis and she just turned 3.

I don't think there is a right or wrong way to handle it. My husband from the very beginning has been pretty much matter of fact about the diagnosis. She was really sick, she's still with us, we know what to do, let's do it. Whereas I was and still am emotional about it. He is very involved in her diabetes care so it's not that he isn't connected, he just never really grieved (or did it in his own way that wasn't apparent to me). I wish I was more like him in some regards.

And, yes, it is WAY harder on the parents then it is on the baby. The most bitter sweet statement to me is "she'll never know any different". I am so angry that she'll never know any different and yet feel so blessed at the same time because diabetes is really just a part of her now (and so not the most important part).

Hang in there and visit often.

12. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

You sound like what happened with us. I freaked pretty much, went thru the grieving process for a while, a long while, after a few weeks i somehow snapped out it... my husband took wonderful care of my son while I was so totally distraught... there is no right or wrong way to feel... it's just "you" who you are inside I guess...:cwds:

I hope you all are doing well...