- advertisement -

Glad to find you all!!!

Discussion in 'Fundraising Activities' started by Courtney, Feb 9, 2007.

1. Courtney

Courtney Approved members

Hi. My name is Courtney and my 4 yr. old boy Jacob was recently dx'd on 01-18-07 w/T1D. I have alot of diabetes history in my family mostly type 2 but I knew the warning signs (Thank God) of diabetes. He is in headstart and had wet himself @ school 2 days in a row and he doesn't normally do that. He was extremley thirsty and had been having a headache. I had an acuecheck @ home that my grandmother had given to me and decided I would check his sugar to see if this was why he was acting strange. I checked it and it was 493. I went into immediate panic and checked my own praying that the machine was just torn up. But it wasn't so we rushed to the hospital and they took him straight in. We ended up staying for 3 nights and 4 days. His ketones where very high. They told us within 24 more hrs he would have been in DKA. We are using Humalog and injecting it ourselves. He is currently on 20carbs=1 unit. This has been very hard to adapt to but he is doing really well. I look forward to talking with all of you.
    I am very new to all of this and will probably be needing some advice on lots of things.
    Courtney

2. gsmom

gsmom Approved members

Hi Courtney! I just came across your post, so sorry for the late welcome! I'm so sorry for your dx, but I have found this is an awesome sight for information & support! It's also a wonderful place to just vent! Keep us updated on how you are all doing as we know how much a child with D effects the whole family.

Again, Welcome!

3. tennismom10

tennismom10 Approved members

Tennismom10

I'm new to the site too. Wish I had known about it 8 years ago, when my daughter was diagnosed. Had to learn a great deal on my own. Lot of trial and error. It awesome you knew the symptoms, a lot of parents don't and thinks it's a flu virus going around. Early detection is the key. Younger children adjust really well. It was difficult for her as well as the family. Diabetes does not run in my side nor my husbands, so it was difficult to accept, but accept we must and we did and worked towards her having a pretty active life. Time does make it a little better. Maybe you can look at getting him on the insulin pump. It's so much easier than administering shots.

Welcome to site!

Tennismom10:)