- advertisement -

Giving your kids control...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by MichS, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Emma'sDad

Emma'sDad Approved members

Emma's been a "smart-cookie" since day 1. She'll sit there and figure things out all by herself and hates to have others tell her how to do stuff. And that spills into her D management. She's been checking her BGs by herself for years now, giving her own injections since she was 5 and just like yours, absolutely LOVES getting positive attention for the good job she does. She'll sit there and calculate her carbs and remembers all the factors to multiply at the given time of day and will let me know how many units she needs. I always double check her work because this is not something to joke about, but it's nice to know that she CAN do it in case something happens.

2. zell828

zell828 Approved members

I think it is good to let your child do as much as they feel comfortable doing. After all some day they will be doing their D management on their own and we are here now to teach them. My SD is 9 right now. She did finger pokes virtually right away on her own. She now is pumping and she likes to punch in the numbers on her own (and now calibrate on her own with the CGMS). We let her, however, we always check the number before she activates it to make sure it is correct on the pump.