- advertisement -

Girls, pumps and swim suits

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Denise, Mar 8, 2009.

1. Denise

Denise Approved members

Can anyone tell me which type of swim suit works best for a little girl (well, she's 9 now)...and the pump? Molly will have a pump this summer and she wants to go swim suit shopping. I was thinking two piece..but does a one piece keep things from snagging on stuff?

2. mickey's mom

mickey's mom Approved members

Michayla usually wears a tankini, so 2 piece with a longer top. She finds it is easier to hook and unhook the pump inbetween swimming.

3. WendyTT

WendyTT Approved members

My little girl, Lindsay, is 8 and last summer was our first summer on the pump and what worked best for her were the two pieces where the top is long and almost touches the bottom piece. The one piece that she had was a nightmare when she wore it and she would be in and out of the pool or beach all day and was unhooking from the pump off and on all day long. It was hard to get to the site. That was our experience--good luck!

4. toohughey

toohughey Approved members

The tankini is the way to go here. We like to be able to get to her site without going into her suit!! She disconnects when she swims because she goes low anyway so there is no problem with where to wear it!!

TRACY

5. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Kaylee doesn't wear her pump swimming, so I've never given it much thought.. she usually wears a pouch and a belt, but has gotton out of that, now she's using the MM pump holder it came with.. she will clip it to her undies if she's wearing a nightgown, so I"m assuming she'd do the same for the swim suit.. I do go for tankini type suits because she likes her site on her belly, so its easier to access in a two piece of some sort..

6. wvchinacat

wvchinacat Approved members

We have the Ping which is supposed to be waterproof - I am not sure I am going to risk it though . . .I had been wondering about swim suits. We just got a new tankini. I am also thinking of making a belly band that is made from sun/water fabric (stuff I have left over from making water baby slings) It would not make it waterproof - but might make it more comfy if she had to take it in the water???

I am guessing this year will be some trial and error . . .

7. Denise

Denise Approved members

Ya, I wasn't going to have her wear it while swimming (the one we are getting isn't waterproof) but I was thinking if she had to reconnect...times like the beach,etc. We spend a LOT of time at the pool too...What about slip and slids...and she has a stomach site? Will it stay in...will it have a better chance of ripping out?>

8. MLH

MLH Approved members

Tankini--and I cover the site with a piece of IV3000. My daughter tends to stay in the pool for hours. The sites can come off with so much soaking. So we cover it and that seems to help.:)

9. zimbie45

zimbie45 Approved members

tankini... We got 2 suits last year.. one tankini, and one a 1 piece that had big holes in the sides... The wholes helped to access her site, but was still a bit akward

10. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Abby doesn't wear her pump swimming (yet) but we do hook back up for basal replacement and snack bolus. We've found that the tankini or a two piece provide the easiest access to the site.

When we go to the beach, she wears a surf suit, so we just cap the set and use injections. Gritty sand can be such a pain with pump sites!

11. pdxmom

pdxmom Approved members

Unfortunately my daughter will only wear a one-piece Speedo type suit as she is a total tomboy....but i will say that we have swam all summer long and reconnecting with a one piece hasnt been much of a problem. A bit trickier, but doable. One thing I do like about the one-piece is it does hold the tape on a bit better since it keeps it snug to the body.

If she ever decided to wear a two piece I will probably die of shock. :cwds: