- advertisement -

GF Stuffing Recipe

Discussion in 'Celiac' started by hrermgr, Nov 17, 2009.

1. hrermgr

hrermgr Approved members

I tried a GF stuffing recipe from Pamela's Products website last night with the hopes that it would be "just like Thanksgiving". Well, it was okay-a bit dry. Now I am in search of a fantastic GF recipe. I've checked out a few I've found on the internet but haven't found the next one I want to try yet. Any suggestions or recipes? I have a feeling Al will have a few suggestions--at least I hope!

2. jcanolson

jcanolson Approved members

A few years ago, before going gf, I made a stuffing that was sausage and rice based. My dh still talks about it.
    Last year I used a loaf of gf bread from Earthfare. Cubed it, toasted it and mixed some seasonings, celery, onion, broth into it. Couldn't tell the difference.

3. jcanolson

jcanolson Approved members

4. aklap

aklap Approved members

Michelle I hate to disappoint you, but I have no first hand knowledge of good GF stuff. I never liked the stuff - GF or otherwise. :eek:

Have you seen...

There's a couple of dressings here - http://www.glutenfreeda.com/nov09-thanksgiving-dinners.asp

Here's a few recipes that you might consider -
    http://forums.glutenfree.com/topic1209.html
    http://forums.glutenfree.com/topic3594.html
    http://forums.glutenfree.com/topic4361.html

5. kim5798

kim5798 Approved members

I had a go at stuffing the other night. I just kinda faked it:) I have been making gf bread cubes when the bread is still good, but won't be eaten. dry them out in the oven and then store in freezer. Used gf chicken broth, onion, seasonings, etc.

For thanksgiving, using one of the ones Al posted & tweaking it to be my own.

kim

6. aklap

aklap Approved members

Which one are you using?

7. kim5798

kim5798 Approved members

I'm using the 3rd one down....I made with the Jules Gluten free bread instead of the waffles, but I am keeping the waffles in mind for those times when we don't have bread on hand. Such a great idea!! I am going to add garlic, because we all love garlic here...plus some fresh rosemary and thyme. My first try I did not have the fresh herbs on hand, so I anticipate the thanksgiving version to be much better:) Another recipe I have adds an egg yolk to the chicken stock....I am thinking of throwing that in. If it comes out good....I will post the recipe after if anyone wants to use it for Christmas.

kim

8. aklap

aklap Approved members

9. hrermgr

hrermgr Approved members

Great feedback! Thanks all. I am inspired to keep going. The waffle thing threw me for a loop but what the heck. I should try it.

10. aklap

aklap Approved members

11. hrermgr

hrermgr Approved members

12. aklap

aklap Approved members

Please let us know how everyone likes it. Good luck. Here's to a perfect T'giving!

13. kim5798

kim5798 Approved members

Well, my thanksgiving stuffing came out great!!

I apologize that I don't use exact measurements...but here goes!!

Gluten Free Stuffing

Gluten free bread, diced into cubes and dried in the oven. I used bread I made with the Jules GF flour--the sandwich loaf and the beer bread. I used enough to fill a 9x9 casserole dish.

Celery--chopped, about 2 or 3 ribs
    Onion--a mix of red and white onion, about 3/4 cup
    2-3 tablespoons of olive oil
    3 cloves of garlic, pressed
    fresh rosemary, finely chopped
    fresh thyme, finely chopped
    fresh sage, finely chopped
    1 1/2 cans of GF chicken broth
    1 egg yolk
    salt & pepper
    butter

Saute the onion & celery in the olive oil on medium heat. Add the garlic & herbs. cook for a few minutes, till onions seem soft. Set aside.

bring the chicken broth to boil on high heat. take a small amount of the broth and whisk with the egg yolk. When mixed together, pour into the pan with the chicken broth. Add the onion, celery, herb mix back to the chicken stock. Then add the bread cubes and cover the bread cubes with the liquid. Add salt & pepper. Place this in a greased casserole dish. Place about 8 pieces of butter around the casserole. Cover with aluminum foil & bake at 400for about 20 minutes, then remove foil & cook for another ten minutes or until the top is crispy.

kim

14. hrermgr

hrermgr Approved members

The one I tried turned out well, too! It was tasty--a bit fruity with the apples and craisens and nutty, too. A bit more broth maybe but really tasty.