- advertisement -

GF Holiday Favorites?

Discussion in 'Celiac' started by hrermgr, Dec 22, 2010.

1. hrermgr

hrermgr Approved members

Just wondering if you have a favorite GF holiday food. One you make or purchase...I need some additional inspiration!

One item I make and the family enjoys is wild rice meatballs. Most store bought meatballs have gluten in them so a couple years ago I started making my own. We have them on Christmas Eve with DH's family. We have appetizers rather than a big meal.

2. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

This is our first Christmas with celiac, so I don't know yet. Hubby started experimenting with a couple of GF cookies last night, as he always makes a bunch of cookies.

We typically have dressing and I'll be making a GF dressing with Udi's bread. We also typically have a breakfast casserole that has bread chunks, so I'll be making a separate one of those with Udi's too.

We do appetizers on Christmas Eve too, so I don't know what we'll do. Hubby made a bunch of GF appetizers for the Super Bowl this past year, so we'll probably pull out some of those recipes for pigs in a blanket, etc.

3. Brenda

Brenda Junior Member

For some reason, when I cut and paste recipes from Word, they don't always work, but here are a few I have made:

Cordon Rose Chocolate Christmas Yule Log

Grease a 17" x 12" jelly roll pan. Line with foil. Grease foil.

Cake:
    1/4 c. plus 2 T. sugar
    6 large eggs, separated
    4 oz. bittersweet chocolate, melted
    3/4 t. cream of tartar
    1 T. unsweetened cocoa

Position rack in lower third of oven. Preheat oven to 350 deg.
    In a mixing bowl, beat 1/4 sugar and the egg yolks for 5 min. or until light and fluffy. Add the chocolate and beat until incorporated, scraping down the sides.
    In a large mixing bowl, beat the egg whites until foamy, add the cream of tartar, and beat until soft peaks form when the beater is raised. Gradually beat in the remaining 2 T. sugar, beating until stiff peaks form when the beater is raised slowly.
    With large balloon whisk, slotted skimmer, or rubber spatula, fold 1/4 of the whites into the chocolate mixture to lightened it. Then, gently fold in remaining whites. Pour into a pan. Spread the batter evenly and bake 16 min. The cake will have puffed and lost its shine and will spring back when lightly pressed with a finger.
    Wet a clean dish towel and wring it out well. Remove the cake from the oven and leave it in the pan. Dust with the cocoa and cover immediately with the damp towel. Allow the cake to cool. Remove the towel and, lifting by a long edge of the liner or foil overhang, gently slide the cake from the pan onto a flat surface.

Fill roll with Perfect Whipped Cream: 1 c. heavy cream, 1 T. sugar, 1/2 t. vanilla. Place all ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Chill bowl and beaters 15 min. then beat until stiff peaks form when the beater is raised. Use the liner/foil to gently roll the cake into a "log." Refrigerate for an hour.
    Cut a diagonal slice from one end of the roll and place on top to form a not. Spread withe ganache frosting, using the tines of a fork to make lines resembling bark. Make a few round swirls with the fork
    on top of the knot. Decorate with meringue mushrooms, marizpan leaves, etc. then refrigerate an hour before serving. (I don't decorate).
    Ganache Frosting:
    I don't like the method used in the book (The Cake Bible) so I use a different method.

You need: 12 oz. bittersweet chocolate, chopped; 1 2/3 c. heavy cream. In a medium saucepan, mix chocolate and cream over medium heat. Stir until chocolate is melted and you have a smooth mass. Place in a bowl and set the bowl over ice so the mixture can thicken until thick enough to use as frosting--an hour or two. Spread as described above.

Ultimate Flourless Chocolate Cake

8 large eggs, cold
    1 pound bittersweet chocolate
    ? pound butter
    ? c. strong coffee or coffee liqueur
    Powdered sugar

Adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat oven to 325 deg. Line bottom of an 8-in. or 9-in. springform pan with parchment paper and grease pan. Cover bottom of pan with foil.

Beat eggs in a mixer 6 min. until volume doubles. While mixing eggs, melt chocolate and butter with the coffee or liqueur in microwave at 50 percent power for 6 min. Watch carefully to prevent burning chocolate.

Fold 1/3 of the egg mixture into the chocolate and mix until no egg is visible. Repeat until all is incorporated.

Scrape this batter into prepared springform pan and smooth surface with a rubber spatula Set pan into a roasting pan. Fill roasting pan with hot tap water until it reaches halfway up sides of springform pan, creating a water bath. Bake about 22 to 25 min., until edges are just beginning to set and a thin-glazed crust like a brownie forms. Cool cake on a rack.

Refrigerate until ready to serve. Remove cake from springform pan about 30 min. before serving. Invert cake on a sheet of wax paper and turn right side up on a serving platter. Sprinkle top with powdered sugar.

Flourless Chocolate-Walnut Cookies

Makes 60

Parchment paper
    2 ? c. walnut halves (Diamond Brand makes walnut chips that do just fine and save time!)
    3 c. confectioners? sugar
    ? c. plus 3 T. unsweetened cocoa powder
    ? t. salt
    4 egg whites
    1 T. vanilla extract

Position 2 racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven. Heat to 350 deg. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper. Finely chop walnuts. Transfer to a separate baking sheet and toast until fragrant, about 9 min. Let. Cool. Mix sugar, cocoa and salt in a bowl. Stir in walnuts. Add egg whites and vanilla; beat with a fork or an electric mixer on medium until batter is just moistened. (Do not overbeat or they will stiffen.) Drop batter by the teaspoonful onto baking sheets in evenly space mounds. Bake until tops are lightly cracked and glossy, about 15 min. Repeat with remaining batter. Store in an airtight container at room temp for up to a 1 week.

53 cal. per cookie, 3.3 g. fat, 6.2 g carbs

4. aklap

aklap Approved members

These probably aren't too BG level friendly, so adjust accordingly.

We (when I say we, I mean Peg ;)) only makes these treats at Christmas time - these are some of my favorites. I don't have the recipe for the White Almond Cranberry Bark or the Toffee typed up yet, sorry.

[​IMG]

Peanut Butter Balls (aka Buckeyes)

2 cups GF Graham Cracker Crumbs [Kinnikinnick]
    1/4 cup powdered sugar
    1 cup of Peanut Butter [Skippy]
    2 Tablespoons softened butter

4" x 4" chunk of dipping chocolate.
    1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips [Nestle's]

Mix graham cracker crumbs and powdered sugar until blended.
    Into the crumb mixture, work in the peanut butter and butter.
    Form mixture into 1" balls and place on cookie sheet
    Put populated cookie sheet into the freezer for 1 hour

Melt dipping chocolate and chocolate chips together in microwave on low power. Be careful not to burn the chocolate. Or you can get a make a double boiler by using a pot and glass bowl that fits properly on the pot.

Dip frozen peanut butter balls into the melted chocolate.
    Place back on cookie tray and return to freezer for another hour.

Put in a tightly covered container and store in a cool place. We keep them in a closet that is adjacent to our garage [it's cooler].

Peg Notes:

I go so much by feel, this is hard to explain. I'll do my best.

If the graham cracker mixture seems too dry, add more peanut butter - 1 to 2 tablespoons at a time. Mixture should hold it's shape easily. It's a play dough type consistency.

Dipping these things are messy - I just use my hands. I have not found an easier way to do it. These things are a testament of my love for Al. If I didn't love him so much, I wouldn't make them ;)

If chocolate starts hardening back up, put it in the microwave for another minute - or put it back on the pot of boiling water.

Enjoy!
    Peg