- advertisement -

GF Cereals

Discussion in 'Celiac' started by RosebudMama, Jun 19, 2009.

1. RosebudMama

RosebudMama Approved members

I read something by another celiac family indicating that a bunch of "normal" cereals are GF...

Trix
    Fruity Pepples
    Captain Crunch

At the store today, I picked up a box of Captain Crunch to read the label and it has OAT FLOUR listed as an ingredient. After seeing that, I didn't bother reading any other labels -- short on time...

Am I missing something? I wouldn't think OAT FLOUR was GF unless it was derived specifically from certified GF oats. In which case, I don't think Captain Crunch would have been on sale for $2.00.

Aside from the Chex line, ARE there any other "regular" GF cereals?

Thanks

2. aklap

aklap Approved members

There's not much "mainstream" cereal that's GF. Cap'n Crunch is not GF. You are correct about the oat flour not coming from pure, uncontaminated oats.

Trix - appears to be GF by ingredient. This probably won't be classified as GF by General Mills due to the fact that it's not run on dedicated lines.

Dora the Explorer at one time was GF by ingredient. I don't know if it is any more.

I suppose it could be considered mainstream - Barbara's Honey Rice Puffins, Puffin's Multigrain , Brown Rice Crisps (like Rice Krispies), Corn Flakes (Organic) are GF. I had to ask them about the Multigrain Puffins due to their use of oats:

Last edited: Jun 19, 2009
  3. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

There are companies that certify that their oats are not cross-contaminated and therefore GF. There have been studies published showing that oats may still raise the celiac antibodies, but I think when I read those studies they did not seem conclusive.

We asked our GI, and she said that we could try the GF oats but she'd want dd to eat them at least a few times then do a celiac panel test 3 months later rather than annually. Given the choice, dd preferred to not give it a try.

4. aklap

aklap Approved members

Yeah, oats have been controversial for some time. However, I think it's becoming clearer that pure, uncontaminated GF oats are acceptable for most people. If DD is not comfortable with trying them, that's an acceptable option too. ;)

Here's what the Chicago Celiac Disease center has to say about oats:

http://www.celiacdisease.net/gluten-free-diet

Tricia Thompson, MS/RD [aka The Gluten Free Dietitian] has blog entry about GF oats.

Consumption of pure oats by individuals with celiac disease: A position statement by the Canadian Celiac Association (2007)

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=2658132&tool=pmcentrez

Here's the list of the GF oat producers:

Only Oats
    Bob's Red Mill
    Glutenfreeoats.com
    Gifts Of Nature
    Creamhill Estates