- advertisement -

getting insulin out of the reservoir

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Cabins Crue, Nov 22, 2009.

1. Cabins Crue

Cabins Crue Approved members

Just FYI.. The skinny 31 gauge needles will NOT get insulin out of your reservoir.. you need to have a 30 gauge needle.. learned that very important lesson on Friday night.. thought I would pass it on...:cwds:

2. fredntan2

fredntan2 Approved members

you can get it out by putting some air in resevoir

and repriming etc

then you can bolus what left in tubing, there are at least 10 units in tubing.

never had to do it, but would probably work

3. thebestnest5

thebestnest5 Approved members

I am confused about that. We only use 31 gauge insulin syringes and we have used them to tap a resevoir. Specifically it happened one time in a grocery store, due to a suspected site failure.

4. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Just to warn you, I thought it would work as well. It didn't (with the minimed pump, anyway). Turns out, the pressure of the air in the reservoir isn't enough to convince the piston on the pump that there is anything in there at all. You know how when you prime, you can't stop priming until after the piston has hit the end of the reservoir? Well, when there's only air in the reservoir, the pump doesn't come out of the initial bit of priming.

5. RomeoEcho

RomeoEcho Approved members

I used to do this rather frequently with my Animas, no problem. Apparently I became more responsible or something, because it's been a year and a half since I switched to minimed and I hadn't tried it yet. Also, with the Animas you don't need the filling needle to suck air in, so it was easier.

6. Cabins Crue

Cabins Crue Approved members

I meant if the site goes bad.. and you have to bolus with a syringe.. and the only insulin you have with you is in the reservoir.. the 31 gauge needle is too thin.. the 30 gauge will draw from the reservoir... hope that makes sense:)

7. fairyblood

fairyblood Approved members

I have gotten insulin out with a 31 gauge needle. I am not sure why you think it isn't possible.

8. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

I carry a full resevoir with me, and extra sets(we're in earthquake country, even though they're not common here)