- advertisement -

Getting a new pump - medtronic

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by zell828, Aug 22, 2012.

1. zell828

zell828 Approved members

Did any of you have trouble with insurance letting you get a new pump after the 4 year mark if nothing was really wrong with your pump? We just expired our 4 year warranty and we would like to upgrade to the 723 Revel because my stepdaughter uses the 522 right now. She's almost 13 and uses more insulin than the 522 holds. It would be nice to get the 300 unit capacity. Plus I would like to upgrade to the newer system. I hate to have something go wrong without a warranty too.

Medtronic called and kind of warned me that our insurance might not let us get a new pump now. :(

We have Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield.

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Generally speaking you cannot just upgrade because the warranty is up but it's very, very common for out of warranty pumps to develop hairline cracks, that let water in and, say, cloud the screen ;)

What won't happen is you will not be required to return the out of warranty pump, so you'll just have to take a good hard look at your current pump and decide if it has any defects that you might, say, have been overlooking. If you know what I mean.:cwds:

3. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

It really dedends on you insurance, ours will cover a new one after 3years and still in warrenty.

Is it the same insurance that was used when you got your pump? If not then there should be no problem at all.

4. zell828

zell828 Approved members

No, it's not the same insurance. We switched insurance last year.

Thank you everyone!

5. andeefig

andeefig Approved members

Yes, this. We did just exactly what you're talking about. Fortunately, about 4 months ago, we had a couple wonky alarms that warranted a new pump (no real problem, but they replaced "just in case"). Our current insurance did not buy that pump so they actually let us replace it a few weeks prior to warranty expiring. So we have a brandy new pump and a back up that's only about 4 months old. Should be a seamless process for you. Good luck !

6. valerie k

valerie k Approved members

all your endo has to say is she needs the larger cartridge for her insulin needs. We didnt have a problem with matts, I told them I wanted the 723 when his 522 went out of warrenty, nobody bulked.

7. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

We have BCBS. We had a surprisinly easy time upgrading from the 522 to the 723. We actually had it upgraded while still in warranty (only by a few months, we didn't do the pathway program either, the insurance company paid for a new pump with a new 4 year warranty) because of the necessary smaller doses.. so you could do a few things. 1, do a letter of medical necessity for a larger reseverior, 2 oops, a button is sticking (which then the pump has to be replaced) or 3, wait until something goes wrong and then replace. Personally, I think its better to replace now, why wait until there is an issue. :)

8. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Yes I was pleasantly surprised when I had no problem getting the PING when it came out even thow our old pump was still in warrenty, but since we switched insurance it was not an issue at all.

9. zell828

zell828 Approved members

Exactly! I don't want to wait until there is an issue and then we would be out of warranty. Plus now she met her deductible so it would cost us less since our insurance covers 90% until we reach out of pocket so it wouldn't be as expensive. It would be nice to have the first pump as a back up.

It's nice to hear you have BCBS and they didn't give you a hard time. I will let everyone know how it goes. They sent the order into the insurance now so we'll see....keep your fingers crossed.

10. zell828

zell828 Approved members

Update....insurance covered it. She called today and it is $499.80 after insurance and we can turn in the old pump for $500 credit, so we would pay nothing. Happy! :D