- advertisement -

get the infusion site to stick

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by britbabi84, Dec 31, 2011.

1. britbabi84

britbabi84 Approved members

Ok so we had pump training yesterday and I have the pump on me until Monday and then we are switching it to our 3 year old. But I have noticed its already starting to peel up around the edges. Is there something I can put on it to help it stick?? I know if it does this on my son he will start picking at it and pulling it off of him!!!!

2. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

We have used Tegaderm and now use Hypafix. Tegaderm is a clear dressing, but recently my son has gotten very itchy skin from it, after years of using it. Now we use Hypafix; it comes in a roll and you cut off as much as you need.

3. britbabi84

Do I just get that at a local drug store or walmart or something? Do you just put it over the whole site or around the edges where the sticky stuff is?

4. Mom2Av

Mom2Av Approved members

I have seen Tegaderm at the local pharmacy. I ordered a roll of opsite flex on line, but it is not inexpensive. You will have to cut out a hole to go around the site and just stick to the sticky part. You can also try Skin Tac, we get ours from Animas. It is a sticky wipe that goes on the skin under the site. Good luck, I know w/ my 10 yr old, he has a tendency to "figit" (sp) more with a site on his belly and not on his behind, :p

5. StillMamamia

Oh geez, not sure where you can get those in your part of the world. Try the local pharmacy, for sure they'll know where.

Which pump do you have? We use the Sure-Ts infusion set, so they have "2" sites (one with a needle/cannula and one which just sticks on the skin, allowing for disconnecting away from the site area - clear as mud that, huh?:eek:). So, for us, we don't need to cut a hole to put the Tegaderm/Hypafix on top on the site adhesive, but we need to just work around the other sticky "site". If you're confused, I apologize - some infusion sets allow for disconnection at the actual site area, others have a tail to another disconnecting "set".

6. McKenna'smom

McKenna'smom Approved members

I use the IVFrame 3000. It is a clear tape that is used for IVs. We get it from Animas with our supplies. We cut a slit in it to go over the inset so you can still plug/unplug the tubing. You should be able to get some from your pump trainer.

7. Style mom

Style mom Approved members

We have found Opsite to work the best, and it's pretty cheap. A $30 roll lasts us about 8 months and we use it for sensors too. We order online from Edgepark pharmacy.

8. tjirvin314

tjirvin314 Approved members

IV prep

I have found that just using IV prep or generic equivalent keeps our daughters pump sites from peeling, though it depends on activity/sweat etc, in the summer when she swims alot we use tegaderm or IV 3000.

9. britbabi84

Ok we got some of this or something like it I guess with our supplies. I have gone through 3 of them trying to find a way to get it on the site without covering the attachment part (the site is on me so its a little more challgenging to see what Im doing). Where do you cut a slit in it? Everytime I peel the backings off it messes up the sticky stuff and it folds all over itself.
    Sorry if im sounding like a dummy, I just want to get it all figured out before we put it on my son on monday!

10. StillMamamia

Try cutting an oval/round shape out before taking out the backing, then put it over the site, hold and gently lift one side, take the backing off of that, then do the other side.

11. McKenna'smom

McKenna'smom Approved members

There's a couple of ways we have done this. First, you can use a circle craft punch and just cut a hole in the center and peel the tape off and place over the inset. Second, I just fold the frame in half (don't remove the backing yet) and cut a slit about an inch long. Then you peel off the 1 backing and then the 2 backing, place the slit over the where the tubing goes, and place tape on the skin.

12. KyleBugsMom

KyleBugsMom Approved members

We use Skin-Tac and Tegaderm with his Sure-T sets. I cover the area where I plan to put the set with Skin-Tac. Put in the site once that it dry. We have the oval-shaped Tegaderm. I cut it in half then put half on the top part of the site ( under the plastic that holds the needle) and half on the bottom part...it kind of "hugs" the needle from the top and bottom. That might make no sense unless you are looking at the set. This works fantastic for our rough and tumble 5-year old! Good luck! It may take some trial and error but you will find what works.

13. khannen

khannen Approved members

Add us to the SkinTac crew! My father uses it for his Animas sites. I also use it for Shealyn's Omnipods in the summer when swimming a ton and more sweaty/active in general. We used the wipes (small like alchohol swabs) for years before I even realized it was also sold as a liquid. Lol! The bottle lasts a whole lot longer and is a much cheaper option.

We use Tegaderm over her cgms sensor, but she sometimes complains of it itching.

14. CheriMomTo8

CheriMomTo8 Approved members

We use iv 3000. With the backing on, we fold in half then in half again. We cut an ovalish square the size of the detach. Then unfold. Hopefully it's a nice hole and then we stick on. It works great but with summer and lots of swimming we have to peel and replace at night.